04-03-2013, 08:42 AM
| || |
Actually, much of the DMSO negative info is false.
I have used it for over 50 years. My old Vet (of more than 25 years) recently retired. He experimented with it and used it extensively much earlier than most other Vets did. He started using it IV more than 20 years ago and saved many horses with it long before I heard of any other Equine clinics using it. He had me use it for some really bazaar and exotic problems on horses that were as good as dead. I saved several horses with internal abscesses from ******* strangles and from lung abscesses accompanying exotic forms of foal pneumonia when every Vet around us was losing every single case they treated. I have saved several horses with advanced cellulitis and lymphangitis with it.
In the early 60s, it was only available in crude dirty grades that came straight from paper pulp mills where it is a by-product that was discovered accidentally.
It does not spread an infection. It is bacteriostatic - it will not take in bacteria with it, but, it will take in other drugs. Its solvent abilities will disperse steroids and antibiotics exactly where they are needed.
It is the first thing I reach for with any open wound that cannot be sutured. I mix it with Gentomycin and have NEVER had a wound treated this way that got infected and did not heal more quickly that it would have. For one thing, it reduces swelling and so there is so much less damage to the edges and surrounding area.
It is the first thing I use any time a horse comes up sore -- just as soon as I can identify the problem. I've used it on mild to severe tendon strains, ligament strains (particularly suspensory ligaments), sore and puffy knees, hocks, stifles, etc.
When I use it as a sweat, I mix Dex, liquid Furacin and DMSO. It makes a Furacin sweat MUCH more effective. Doc used to have me use 18 hours on and 6 hours off -- 18 hours on and 6 hours off over and over. Occasionally I would get a light 'scurf' but not a blister.
I made sure it was NEVER done over a liniment or other external product. The solvent powers of DMSO can make that a disaster. I've seen huge damage done by switching from a liniment or Iodine paint to DMSO. That is the only time that I carefully scrub the skin with a strong soap or detergent. Even then, I test it first on a small area without wrapping it.
I inherited several horses that were going to be scrapped because of injuries. Doc sent me several to re-hab because he did not have the time to do it and the clinic setting would be too expensive and not practical.
The 99% pure liquid (bought at a feed store) is what I use. I buy 4 oz. Plastic dauber bottles (at my Vet clinic) and label each mixture in them. I have separate bottles of DMSO / Furacin / steroid (Dexamethasone or DepoMedrol) and for DMSO / Gentomycin.
I try to keep it off of my own hands. It tastes terrible and makes your breath smell like something crawled in your mouth and died. Prolonged skin exposure can give you 'blurred vision' which clears up within a few days of NOT getting it (or putting it) on your skin. Been there - done that. Some people and 2 horses I have used it on are allergic to it. My son gets physically ill if he gets any on his skin. He is also allergic to any Sulfa Drug and cannot tolerate any form of Sulfur exposure. DMSO is a Sulfur Compound.