Coggins questions-test neg 1 yr ago-should I test before/after purchase?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Coggins questions-test neg 1 yr ago-should I test before/after purchase?

This is a discussion on Coggins questions-test neg 1 yr ago-should I test before/after purchase? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Should i get coggins test before i buy
  • Equine blood borne pathogens

Like Tree7Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-11-2012, 01:26 PM
  #1
Foal
Coggins questions-test neg 1 yr ago-should I test before/after purchase?

So we've found an incredible horse that we are really and truly interested in adding to our family-she's amazing-but her last coggins, which was negative, was a year ago this month, so she's due for another obviously. I was considering having a vet go out and administer the test prior to purchase however he is wanting to charge much more for the test than my vet plus a very 'healthy' trip charge. My stables/vet here require quarrantine regardless of when the last coggins was-and they'll do one for me once we bring her to the quarrantine stables. My question is, should I just buy her and bring her on to my vet and the quarrantine and not worry/obsess over the coggins result or should I shell out the CONSIDERABLE money the vet there is asking and get the test first? I know the prevalence of EIA has declined greatly in Texas over the last few years (don't have data for 2011 yet, just all previous years) but don't know if that's because of better testing or lack of testing. Sigh. This horse is located a smidge over 2 hours away and we are all so in love with her already. Is EIA rare enough that I am obsessing too much or am I rightly concerned? I don't know what to do. We're not rich, but we're not broke-but we did just have a $700 repair bill on the truck yesterday and now have to put all new tires on the car today. I'm trying to keep expenses down and just don't know which end to do the coggins testing on. I'd greatly welcome any and all comments, suggestions, opinions, etc! Thank you all so much! :) (We CAN afford a horse, I just like to keep my expenses down as much as possible in every area that I can!)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-11-2012, 01:29 PM
  #2
mls
Trained
Since EIA is a blood borne pathogen, you are 'safe' with the horse in quarantine during non bug season.

As a precaution, I would write into the purchase agreement that should the horse test positive, deal is a no go.
hillside farm likes this.
     
    01-11-2012, 01:31 PM
  #3
Started
Prior to purchase could you haul him to the vet so he doesn't charge a trip charge?
     
    01-11-2012, 01:34 PM
  #4
Foal
it's a good idea, but...

I've thought about taking her to the vet myself, but as we're around 100 miles away the cost of fuel, etc would kind of even out with his trip charge -which is $125 just for the trip for him. I like the idea of putting into the contract about if she tests positive the deal is off, but the problem is quarrantine here will not allow me to take her off premises once/if tested positive, so I couldn't return the horse. Guess it would have to be a money back thing. Man this is a hard decision for me.
     
    01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
  #5
Trained
Sooooo-I would guess you are not doing a PPE? You could easily have it done when the vet comes to do that......
     
    01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
  #6
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by springles    
I've thought about taking her to the vet myself, but as we're around 100 miles away the cost of fuel, etc would kind of even out with his trip charge -which is $125 just for the trip for him. I like the idea of putting into the contract about if she tests positive the deal is off, but the problem is quarrantine here will not allow me to take her off premises once/if tested positive, so I couldn't return the horse. Guess it would have to be a money back thing. Man this is a hard decision for me.
Horse would not be returned. She would have to be destroyed.

Ask your vet for the last known hot spot for positive EIA that could impact this horse.
     
    01-14-2012, 05:44 PM
  #7
Super Moderator
A coggins is really just a snapshot in time anyway. It covers that moment the horse is tested. Nothing is to say the horse can't or won't contract something within the next year.

If the current coggins is good, then it's your call. Have you asked the owner to use their vet to pull a current coggins? What would that vet charge?
     
    01-14-2012, 07:26 PM
  #8
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84    
A coggins is really just a snapshot in time anyway. It covers that moment the horse is tested. Nothing is to say the horse can't or won't contract something within the next year.

If the current coggins is good, then it's your call. Have you asked the owner to use their vet to pull a current coggins? What would that vet charge?
......or contract it in the next day, week or month. Like FP said-it is just a moment in time.
     
    01-15-2012, 10:24 AM
  #9
Weanling
40+ horses in Arkansas (next to TX) in 2011 died or put down due to EIA outbreak. A horse brought to a barn infected nearly the entire place... was awful. So no, EIA isn't a thing of the past and is very much alive and lurking. Test that horse. The test would be cheaper than being sued by a barn full of angry owners, right?
natisha likes this.
     
    01-15-2012, 10:55 AM
  #10
Green Broke
Always test before purchase. You don't want to be the owner of a dead horse & any place you take it will have State mandated quarantine & testing if a postive pops up.
Can you make a negative result a condition of the sale? When I bought my last horse the seller provided the testing.
GhostwindAppaloosa likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are your thoughts on the Coggins test? UWLEquestrian Horse Health 53 02-01-2011 09:50 AM
Coggins Test? purplefoal Horse Health 13 07-07-2010 06:57 PM
Coggins Test Results Tophandcowgirl Horse Health 4 03-23-2010 10:34 PM
coggins test Pro Horse Breeding 15 01-26-2010 01:17 AM
coggins test sempre_cantando Horse Health 1 07-15-2008 07:30 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0