Colic, do you already have the decision made? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Colic, do you already have the decision made?

This is a discussion on Colic, do you already have the decision made? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree24Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-17-2012, 02:06 AM
      #11
    Green Broke
    I have insurance for my horse, so yes, I would try the surgical route even if he odds were against him. That's exactly why I got it- so I wouldn't have to put a monetary limit on procedures and whether it or not it would be worth trying if the situation arose.

    Having something on file with the vet is a great idea- I'll have to see if I can do that!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-17-2012, 08:03 AM
      #12
    Showing
    I have monetary limits on all my horses, but if the horse needs surgery to fix a twisted gut I'll put him down. I don't think the odds of recovery are that great, and it's exorbitantly expensive. Plus, I'm the sole breadwinner and care provider, and I simply can't take months off work to nurse a horse recovering from major surgery.

    Sometimes you have to make decisions you don't like, based on the overall good of the majority.
    Puddintat, bsms and Elana like this.
         
        11-17-2012, 09:51 AM
      #13
    Green Broke
    Exactly what SpeedRacer said.

    I currently do not own a horse but I know my limitations and always have. I have the same deal when it comes to my dogs. I will do so much.. and maybe so much +X.. but I cannot and will not jeopardize my financial well being.

    If that makes me a "bad" person, so be it. I have learned that sometimes animal ownership (Ha! Life itself!) forces our hand and no matter how special that animal is, there are others.

    This does not mean my heart won't break. It simply means that I won't break the bank too.
    Speed Racer likes this.
         
        11-17-2012, 12:31 PM
      #14
    Trained
    Mia had colic a few months after I bought her. The vet came out at 11 PM ($400), poured oil thru her nose, and she got better. She has had some episodes since then, and I walk her around and keep an eye on her. And our horses get regular treatment for sand colic. But from what I've read, if the horse needs an operation to save it, then the cost is very high and the outlook pretty poor. So yes, I've made the decision already.

    I like Mia, and she likes me. But she isn't my family, and I'm not part of her herd. She would never race into danger to save me, and I won't bankrupt my family for her.
         
        11-17-2012, 12:52 PM
      #15
    Banned
    Yes I have made the decision at only a 20% survival rate id put them down. I have a limit on how much i"ll spend for a colic case. My 26 year old I would put down if she needed surgery not worth putting her through that. My other two I would do surgery if the chance of them surviving was better the 50%. No I wouldnt risk losing my home to save a horse. My family is over my horses when it comes right down to it can't risk going into financial ruins for a horse.
    Speed Racer, Elana and 6W Ranch like this.
         
        11-17-2012, 02:45 PM
      #16
    Foal
    If I had a very low chance, I would try this, figure there's nothing to loose. Fortunately, we haven't a colic in years.

    Schulze
         
        11-17-2012, 02:53 PM
      #17
    Banned
    I would not opt for surgery for my horse and he would be humanely put to sleep.
         
        11-17-2012, 05:54 PM
      #18
    Started
    I don't think I would put any of my horse through colic surgery even if I did have the money, chance of recovery isn't high enough and I believe I've heard chance of re-occurrence is high.
    Speed Racer likes this.
         
        11-17-2012, 06:48 PM
      #19
    Trained
    Surgery is not an option for us. It would mean at least a 3 hour trailer ride and would be far beyond our budget for my hobby horse. If $1000 doesn't do it, well, the news would be bad. :( But, on a happier note, I've never had a vet bill over $500 and in 6 or so years that I've had horses (this round), I've never spent more than $500 in a year on vets, farriers or extra care. Oh, wait, maybe one year on extra supplements for one horse. But still... it's been good. I am very attentive to every little thing which helps keep my horse healthy and my budget in tact. Any horse that we have lost, anyone would have lost, regardless of the money available.
         
        11-17-2012, 07:42 PM
      #20
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
    Your horses should be fine, spring grass I'd caution against all of a sudden putting them out 24/7 but this fall/winter grass shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Actually, the sugar content of grass is elevated heading into winter, particularly when the temperatures drop below freezing at night. This can be a very dangerous time for a founder-prone horse.
    natisha and SueNH like this.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    I have finally made a decision RedTree Horse Talk 3 08-31-2012 08:43 AM
    Sad day - made the tough decision :( MHFoundation Quarters General Off Topic Discussion 16 07-30-2011 12:42 AM
    Made a Decision...I *Think* it's the Right Thing... Daisy25 Horse Talk 4 07-25-2011 05:25 PM
    Made the decision to keep Shunke WickedNag Horse Talk 5 02-05-2011 08:46 PM
    I've made the decision... appylover31803 Horse Talk 72 08-05-2008 11:40 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0