Colic, do you already have the decision made? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 11-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hood River, Oregon
Posts: 53
• Horses: 1
Check your horse's manure often. If it is like a cow pie, cut back on grazing time; your horses run the risk of founder/colic. Normal manure = everything is working normally in their guts.

There's no better way to build confidence than having a horse.
HorsegurlHR is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 28 Old 11-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,385
• Horses: 3
Colic isn't dependent on just one thing, and even normal looking manure doesn't mean a horse won't get it. I worry most about colic when the weather changes drastically.
natisha and Stoddard like this.

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!
Speed Racer is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,627
• Horses: 0
I agree with speed racer iv had a horse colic and die that had normal looking manure so really cant go by that alone.
spirit88 is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 11-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: US
Posts: 238
• Horses: 1
My mom and I have talked about this, as she is the one who would be footing the bill for a major surgery like this, and we would not do it. Money aside, the chance of survival is just too low and I know my gelding would not be able to mentally handle the recovery.
zurmdahl is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Posts: 666
• Horses: 2
If I had the money, I would definitely at least try unless the horse is older or I don't think the chances are in favor (I've been good at quick decisions like this so far, though). However, if I don't have the money, or something like I just mentioned... as hard as letting go is, I wouldn't hesitate. No need for them to suffer to death when a quick, safe end is possible.

Big City

Stoddard is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 11-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,558
• Horses: 0
I wouldn't put a horse through surgery at this point in time whether I had the money or not. I have a family and a job, and I can't nurse a recovering horse. I love him and he is a big part of my life, but as another poster said, he's not going to run into danger to save me, and I'm not putting my human family in danger to save him. He's given me 14 great years so far. He's payed his dues, and I have paid mine. At this point if he was majorly sick or injured, I'd have to let him go.
Posted via Mobile Device
OutOfTheLoop is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Coastal Maine
Posts: 695
• Horses: 1
instead of having that decision made, I try to attract a more possitive outcome, and be proactive. I don;t have to make that decision if my horse doesn't colic. I also live in the barn, so I see the very very very slightest and earliest signs of colic and deal with it then. My horse has never colicked. but there are a few horses here that tend to.

The risk of impaction colic this time of year is pretty high, depending on where you live. The grass gets dry and doesn't contain a lot of moisture. First and foremost, if your horses are on grass right now make sure they have access to PLENTY of water. If the pasture is big, several water buckets is a good idea. Also adding beet pulp soaked and soaking their grain will help increase their water intake.

Also adding probiotics or live cell yeast to their diets just to aid in digestion, is a good idea. IMO.

Good luck :)
Strawberry4Me is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,092
• Horses: 4
It would depend on the cause. All the watching & careful management in the world can't prevent some things.

One of mine had a colic we just couldn't pull her out of by normal means so into the hospital she went. She had surgery for a strangulating lipoma. She breezed through the surgery & recovery was petty quick. She was 7 at the time & is now 25 with no health issues.

Another, at age 20-ish, presented with fast respirations but all else seemed normal. The first vet said she was fine, I didn't agree & took her to another clinic. There she was quickly diagnosed with enteritis. She came home after 3 days of stomach decompression, IV's, meds & supportive care. She is still with me today.

Both those horses have personalities that make working with them very easy. Sometimes that can be a factor in 'yes' or 'no'.

I won't put a horse down without knowing exactly what is wrong. Colic is such a broad term & can mean many things, some easier than others.

I understand finances often play a big part in decisions but I figure I can always get more money.
natisha is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I have finally made a decision RedTree Horse Talk 3 08-31-2012 07:43 AM
Sad day - made the tough decision :( MHFoundation Quarters General Off Topic Discussion 16 07-29-2011 11:42 PM
Made a Decision...I *Think* it's the Right Thing... Daisy25 Horse Talk 4 07-25-2011 04:25 PM
Made the decision to keep Shunke WickedNag Horse Talk 5 02-05-2011 07:46 PM
I've made the decision... appylover31803 Horse Talk 72 08-05-2008 10:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome