The horse that was choking at our facility had recently been put on beet pulp, and normally had hay pellets and a senior feed because his teeth were shot. The owner fed him one day on his own (we normally feed - barn owners of boarding facility) and accidentally fed him too much beet pulp without soaking it long enough.
After the initial choke, the horse ended up choking again the next day - be sure that your vet advises a mush diet because after choking, the horse can have inflammation in their throat that will result in the horse choking again because the horse can't get it down. It could also result in nerve damage and partial paralysis of their esophogus, depending on the location and size of the bolus.
Our vet had originally said "he should be fine, continue feeding like normal", and even suggested some whole, non-processed grains, and then after the second choke said "okay, feed him complete mush, very watery".
Last edited by leonalee; 07-05-2010 at 03:21 PM.