Well, my vet said to wait until 5-6 months to geld my colt. He is 5 months in a few days and I made the appointment to get him gelded. It will be this Thursday.
I guess I was just wondering, what do I need to cover with my vet to be well informed, as far as aftercare, etc.
I am also thinking my colt will get his first vaccinations when the vet comes out to geld him. Or at the very least, a shot to prevent tetnus.
So, other than asking what shots he needs, and what kind of aftercare he will need, is there anything else I need to ask about?
Will he need a "booster" to any vaccines he gets?
Anything else I should be aware of?
Thanks! I look forward to getting this "over and done with" however, as I love my little guy very much, I also sort of dread it.
The reasons I want him done soon are:
1) he is very mouthy and obnoxious despite my constantly correcting him
2) I don't want him to develop studdy behavior and
3) I'm afraid if I wait the weather will be cold and snowy/muddy and then I will be afraid he will get an infection. Once we get a good batch of snow, we could have mud right through April and I don't want to wait that long to geld him. Right now the weather is PERFECT and dry. Sigh! Any words of wisdom for me?