I had to be to work at 4am this morning. My mom had to be to work at 6am, so she got up at 4 and went out to bute Rumor and rub liniment on her leg. I got a call from her at 5am at work saying she is very swollen, very hot and was holding it up to her belly. Not even placing it on the ground. So my mom gave 2 grams bute this morning instead of the 1.
I told her, I knew it was bad. She said "No Chelsea, this is way worse. I'm calling the vet to get her out again today. This can't wait. " So all day long I was freaking out and stressed. My mom called back later to tell me vet would be out at 330ish to look her over.
I was able to get out of work early at 3 to make it home. I walked out to the pasture I had Rumor in. And my jaw hit the ground. I burst into tears are started freaking out. Rumor couldn't even move. Not at all! She was swarmed by flies and I didn't know what to do. I called my mom freaking out and said this was worse then anything I had expected. She told me to call the vet and see where she was.
I called by vet and said that it was horribly swollen. She said she was on her way.
Rumor was about 50 feet from my hose. So I coaxed and coaxed and coaxed her closer and closer to the hose. My 3 legged horse hobbling along. She barely touches the toe to the ground and quickly transfers her other hoof into place or hops and doesn't place the bad leg down at all. Poor poor baby. Finally we got to the hose and I started hosing her leg down. While she searched for grass or munched on hay. After 20 minutes I coaxed her closer and closer to the barn.
After 30 minutes, We finally made it 100 yards to the barn. I tied her to our recently built leanto posts and went to grab her some hay and water and lots of flyspray.
She stood well until my vet arrived. My vet was shocked to see how much her leg blimped out overnight. It's 4 times the size it was. She went from a decent limp to completely 3 legged lame overnight.
I feel absolutely horrible.
My vet believes that Rumor may have some sort of infection/abscess going on. She tried to draw samples from the hock area to figure out what type of bacteria is growing in there. 3 needles were placed and all she got was blood. No puss, no other fluid, just dark red blood. She said that is an indication of trauma. So we are back to her being kicking...or something...But we are at 4 days, why is this much swelling showing up NOW?
Rumor's temperature was 101.9, so it was a little on the high side. So we are treating for an infection as well. She was given doses of sedation and pain meds before drawing specimens. And then the vet put a catheter in her neck and we dosed her to Gentamicin. I don't recall what size bag it was, but it was over 500ml. I had to run to TSC to get Penicillin because she was out. I also needed bedding for Rumor's stall, so I went and got some.
She is on 30mL Gentamicin once daily, and 30mL Penicillin two times daily and 1 gram bute 2 times daily. Keep other back leg wrapped and place a hot towel around the injured leg incase it is abscessed, to draw out the infection.
I feel so so so bad for my girl. It's heartbreaking to watch her suffer and not be able to do a darn thing. This is the first time I've sat down since 230am and it's going on 10pm here. I'm exhausted and stressed. Tired, but wired at the same time.
I wasn't going to keep Rumor in a stall because I didn't know how she'd react, and I thought that her being stuck in one spot would stiffen her up. I guess it really didn't matter because she can't move either way. So I thickly bedded her stall. She actually laid down and closed her eyes relaxing. It made me feel better to see that.
She is still pooping, peeing, drinking, eating (very good appetite) Her eyes are clear and alert. But she's in pain and stressed. And she is losing weight daily.
Vet said if she does not get better, she is going to refer us to another vet in our area, or Michigan State University...Which will cost thousands. I don't have $5000 to spend on her, and if I can't make her comfortable...Well...I don't even want to say it...