Concerned.. HELP?!
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Concerned.. HELP?!

This is a discussion on Concerned.. HELP?! within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • UTD Coggins
  • UTD on coggins

Like Tree6Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-13-2012, 05:19 PM
  #1
Weanling
Concerned.. HELP?!

So, on Saturday, my friend and I are taking our horses to my dad's hunting club (nothing is in season here, so we're good) to ride on the trails. I've been super pumped and excited about it since it'll be Shamrock's first time off the property to ride.

Here's where it gets tricky..

I board, so of course Shamrock is UTD on his coggins. However, my friend keeps her horse at her house and he hasn't had his done in a while. Besides an older gentleman who used to hunt with his horse at the hunting club (the horse passed years ago) we're the only people who have ever taken horses there, so there's no rules on having UTD coggins.

I've been SO looking forward to going and just recently found out that the horse isn't UTD on coggins, so now it has me worried for Shamrock's welfare. :/ I don't want to cancel the ride, so I'm trying to figure something else out. I think she said it's a possibility that she could take her sister's horse, who they just bought, and is UTD. But yea, he's been living with horses that aren't UTD for months now.

I'm worrying, but am I over reacting? And are there any specific preventive measures I should go above and beyond to be sure are taken care of? Of course, fly spray. But I can also throw a fly sheet and such on him.

Curse the disease carrying bugs.. >:(
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-13-2012, 05:30 PM
  #2
Started
I don't think you know what Coggins is. Coggins is a blood test for Equine Infectious Anemia which is spread by horse flies, a horsefly bites a horse with EIA and then that fly bites a healthy horse, that is how it is transmitted, by flies. If any horse in your friends pasture has EIA, you would know it, the horses are deathly ill and will die from it.
Coggins is not a preventative, there is no vaccine for preventing EIA. Being with horses that do not have UTD Coggins only means they have not been tested for EIA... Coggins is a piece of paper stating the horse is FREE of EIA at the time of testing, nothing more.
A current coggins is needed to transport horses across state lines, shows want them, horse sales want them.
     
    06-13-2012, 05:34 PM
  #3
Started
I reread after I posted. I guess I understand what you are saying, however, if you are that worried about your friends horse having coggins, get the test done now. There is a 24 hour test that can be done, the results will be returned in 24 horse.
Any horse is suseptible to EIA at any time. The coggins done yesterday with a negative can come up positive tomorrow if your horse was bitten by a fly carrying EIA.
There is no vaccine and no way to prevent EIA unless you are around horses who are clear at the time of the test, but even then the fly can bite. The only way to prevent EIA is constant testing to make sure your horses and all horse around you are clear.
     
    06-13-2012, 05:36 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma    
I don't think you know what Coggins is. Coggins is a blood test for Equine Infectious Anemia which is spread by horse flies, a horsefly bites a horse with EIA and then that fly bites a healthy horse, that is how it is transmitted, by flies. If any horse in your friends pasture has EIA, you would know it, the horses are deathly ill and will die from it.
Coggins is not a preventative, there is no vaccine for preventing EIA. Being with horses that do not have UTD Coggins only means they have not been tested for EIA... Coggins is a piece of paper stating the horse is FREE of EIA at the time of testing, nothing more.
A current coggins is needed to transport horses across state lines, shows want them, horse sales want them.
I know what coggins and EIA are, I'm not an incompetent horse owner..
The point is, the horse is not UTD on his coggins, so we do not know whether or not he has EIA. And sometimes horses are carriers of EIA and don't show any symptoms. So no, her horses may not be deathly ill in their pastures, even though EIA is an incurable, often fatal illness. There are some horses who have it, but are carrying it and show no symptoms. So if a fly were to bite hers and then bite mine and he was a carrier of EIA, then my horse could possibly get it.

Trust me, I know all about coggins and EIA, I suppose I should have left that disclaimer in my original post.
But thanks for answering anyways.
     
    06-13-2012, 05:41 PM
  #5
Weanling
Simple answer to this either get COGGINS done or don't GO simple as that no big thing. Your friend would be wise to have the coggins done anyways. She would need them if she was to ship anywhere these days.
Either way easy solving.

TRR
     
    06-13-2012, 05:41 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma    
I reread after I posted. I guess I understand what you are saying, however, if you are that worried about your friends horse having coggins, get the test done now. There is a 24 hour test that can be done, the results will be returned in 24 horse.
Any horse is suseptible to EIA at any time. The coggins done yesterday with a negative can come up positive tomorrow if your horse was bitten by a fly carrying EIA.
There is no vaccine and no way to prevent EIA unless you are around horses who are clear at the time of the test, but even then the fly can bite. The only way to prevent EIA is constant testing to make sure your horses and all horse around you are clear.
The 24 hour test around here would cost way too much (even though she is a vet tech with the only equine veterinarian in the area, so a discount may be possible). But yes, since it would be possible that even after getting tested, they could still turn up positive the next day, I'll try not to worry about it.

But I am putting a fly sheet on him while transporting to be sure he has a little extra protection from flies. :P
     
    06-13-2012, 05:43 PM
  #7
Weanling
You might as well wrap your horse in a oxygen bubble and don't take him anywhere. You worry too much lol. Take a deep breath.

TRR
gunslinger likes this.
     
    06-13-2012, 05:44 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberRidgeRanch    
Simple answer to this either get COGGINS done or don't GO simple as that no big thing. Your friend would be wise to have the coggins done anyways. She would need them if she was to ship anywhere these days.
Either way easy solving.

TRR
I don't own the horse, so it's not my call on whether he gets done or not. They never take their horses anywhere, this is the first in many, many years.

It's kind of hard to plan a big play day and then at the last second cancel it and ruin it for both of us.
     
    06-13-2012, 05:50 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberRidgeRanch    
You might as well wrap your horse in a oxygen bubble and don't take him anywhere. You worry too much lol. Take a deep breath.

TRR
It's a pretty serious illness, there's a reason that coggins are required on so many different occasions.

I do worry about my horse, though, and I think it's a good thing. It's not like I worry over every little bump and scratch.. he's playful, so it's expected. And thank goodness he's such an easy keeper when it comes to not being sick or accident prone.

However, I will admit that it irks me when he gets marked up on his face though. It's too pretty to have bald spots. :P
     
    06-13-2012, 05:53 PM
  #10
Weanling
Well putting a fly sheet on him sounds like a good cause your not guaranteed any safer then just going. Yes its a serious illness I agree but spray him well and go enjoy yourself. But like I said if she plans on leaving her yard its best she get Coggins done.
Good Luck have fun be safe and don't be so dang nervous about it.

TRR
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something to be Concerned About?? ilyTango Horse Health 2 08-10-2010 09:45 AM
Should I be concerned?? gratifite Horse Health 9 08-03-2010 10:12 AM
Would you be concerned? Ktibb Horse Training 26 04-08-2010 10:42 AM
Should I be concerned? Duders Barn Maintenance 10 01-16-2008 09:34 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0