could she be lame? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

could she be lame?

This is a discussion on could she be lame? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Malnourished tb mare

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-26-2007, 06:14 PM
  #11
Foal
I too agree that your mare is feeling alot better! About 6 years ago my mom bought a tb mare who was pretty malnourished, but was bomb proof! After she got some weight on her she turned into a new horse, bucking,biting, spooking! No grain either. Anny way it took alot of work because the horse wasn't as bomb proof as she thought, just exhausted!

I also think that your mare is moving differently because of her lack of shoes. It doesn't take them long to get used to them but it seems to take a while after you take them off.

Good Luck and I would recommend as much exercise as possible. Even if you just lead her on walks and lunge her.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-26-2007, 06:27 PM
  #12
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhisperj
I too agree that your mare is feeling alot better! About 6 years ago my mom bought a tb mare who was pretty malnourished, but was bomb proof! After she got some weight on her she turned into a new horse, bucking,biting, spooking! No grain either. Anny way it took alot of work because the horse wasn't as bomb proof as she thought, just exhausted!

I also think that your mare is moving differently because of her lack of shoes. It doesn't take them long to get used to them but it seems to take a while after you take them off.

Good Luck and I would recommend as much exercise as possible. Even if you just lead her on walks and lunge her.
ill just have to see how she goes. She is still a lovely girl in every other way. Im happy to put money in her settling down once the work rate goes up a little. She does get some form of exercise nearly every day though whether its going for a walk through the forest, or lunging or riding. But the lunging is kept at ten minutes and I don't usually ride for longer than half an hour at this stage. My plan was to up the work rate at the beginning of next month. Seeing as there is no rush to get her ready for showing because of the horse flu lockdown, im happy to just plod along with things :)

Thanks guy

Poptartshop - I love my reef tank. One of the perks of working at an aquarium - you get all that stuff at wholesale cost :) same as my basic horse stuff like shampoos, wormers etc etc etc a lot of our suppliers do all animal supplies so I can cash in on that too :)
     
    10-26-2007, 07:32 PM
  #13
Showing
Oh that's soo cool!! Must be soo fun to work there!
     
    10-27-2007, 01:19 AM
  #14
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoptartShop
Oh that's soo cool!! Must be soo fun to work there!
yeah its not too bad :) work is still work though lol just a way of getting more money to pay for the horses hehehe
     
    10-27-2007, 01:36 AM
  #15
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appyt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appyt
Perhaps she is just enjoying feeling her new feet.. I can't imagine her being lame if you don't see or feel any gimping. You would feel it while riding if she is off. Question, are you riding her less due to the current bug issue? If so are you feeding her the same as before? In otherwords is her grain/hardfeed consumption too much for her workload? Make sense? Is she pretty frisky when you lunge/round pen her? To me it sounds like she's just feeling her oats.
bug issue? Are you talking bout the flu? Im don't have her in full work as I've only had her a few months and she was very malnourished and thin when I got her. Im working her up slowly. Her feed is based on the amount of work she does and she doesnt get oats. I have her in a cool fattening diet.

And no, she isnt frisky when lunging her. As with most times, she is a perfect lady :)

Just seems so odd to me that she could have gotten used to shoes in just 6 weeks when she didnt have them for 2 years before that

Oh well. I will see how she goes over the next few days. I will lunge her this afternoon though and get some video.

P.s. Poptartshop - is that you I see on fishforum.net?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, so she is getting back into condition after being malnurished.. That alone can make them frisky.. ;) And feeling their oats is just a phrase meaning they are frisky on good feed. And yes the flu "bug" ;)
ah ok! I thought you were talking about oats in themselves over here oats mean oats and we would say feeling her feed lol

And no, I wasnt holding off on riding cause of the flu :) although I do keep that in mind when planning riding schedules etc considering she would be in the higher risk category for getting the flu on a worse level
     
    10-27-2007, 03:32 AM
  #16
Showing
Haha true. :P
So, how is she now? Any better?
     
    10-27-2007, 05:42 AM
  #17
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoptartShop
haha true. :P
So, how is she now? Any better?
i rode her a little today and she wasnt too bad. Seemed a little calmer tha she has been but I didnt do too much today. I was exhausted after work and didnt have the energy for much. I rode her an my wb today for about ten minutes each lol I don't know why I bother some days hehehe

Im going to lunge her in the morning so I will see more then too :)
     
    10-27-2007, 01:29 PM
  #18
Showing
Oh that's good LOL
     
    11-05-2007, 06:31 AM
  #19
Trained
Well now im pretty sure she is lame :( when I rode her yesterday she was like driving a car with a flat tyre. I asked one of the ladies if she could take a look while I trotted her a bit and see if she could pin point where it was coming from. By the time she looked it wasnt as bad as at first and all she could see was a slight 'limp' on her back offside.

Today I took her to the lunge yard to see if you could see where it was coming from. Its definitely her back offside but I have no idea what has caused it all. I stopped her pretty smartly and left it there.

Everything has happened since the shoes coming off but it never seems to be consistent. Sometimes I think she could be putting on an act but she never minds lunging cause she is lunged with nothing at all on, not even a halter. So does her thing and seems to enjoy it. She is free to run :)

What else should I look for?? I've check her hooves and there is no visible bruising or other issues under and I can't find anything else myself.

I got kind of worried that she may have foundered because of the fact that I havent been able to ride her much lately because of the rain and she still gets the same hard feed. She doesnt get much grain though apart from cracked lupins of which she gets about a handful and a half a day...soaked for about 30 minutes before adding to the feed. I felt her hooves and they don't feel hot and there is no raging pulse near her fetlock. She also seems to stand fine. Can they even founder in their back hooves?? No visible signs of laminitis either.

I know im a worry wart and probably expecting the worst but when I don't know whats wrong, I worry more.

Any ideas anyone?
     
    11-05-2007, 06:47 AM
  #20
Showing
Did you say that the vet was coming to look at another horse this week? I would definitely have him take a look at her. With her sweating issue earlier and now the tenderness in the hindquarter she may have something going on that not easily seen by the lay (non-vet) eye. I wonder if she is having a hard heat/season. Or if there is some issue with her back in the lumbar area. Just a guess, but at this point I think I would have her vet checked.
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0