Cribbing Help? - Page 5
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Cribbing Help?

This is a discussion on Cribbing Help? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • How to stop cribbing walk get him from pasture

Like Tree39Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-20-2013, 12:17 PM
  #41
Foal
Well, some horses really just can't be locked up or stalled for any period of time. I have a horse like that. I recently leased him out to a trainer with the stipulation is that he has 24 hour out access. She rearranged how her horses were kept to manage him because her horses don't mind being stalled. He has just a small turn out, the size of a round pen, but that's plenty to make him feel unrestricted. I was glad to find a trainer who understood. He plain flips out, get diarrhea and was starting to crib when I first got him and was locking him up at night. His stall had a window, but that just wasnt enough for him. My other 3 horses are pleased as peaches to be closed in all warm and cozy. They even lay down in the stalls.

So, even though it might seem like just night time wouldnt be a problem it really could be.

Is there a way to set up a round pen area or leave your horse is a smaller open area at night. Weather is better now, many horses don't sleep under cover.
deserthorsewoman likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-20-2013, 12:20 PM
  #42
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox    
I thought you said he comes when you call him?

Anyways. About the last post:

1) That's pretty common among boarding pastures. ALL of the horses want to come in. You just shoo them away. (I kind of think it's funny myself, when I go get Clem. As I walk her to the barn and we get noticed, we gain a hugely sizeable following).

2) If he's thirsty, he'll drink. He might prefer something else, but if it comes down to it he will drink.

3) All day turnout would help build up resistance against sensitive feet.

4) None of us are telling you you're a terrible horse owner. It just seems that, if 24 hour turnout would fix his issues, you should let him have 24 hour turnout. Your reasons he's on stall board still seem like things that are easily fixed once outside. And okay, so he needs the probiotic - you said you're out there every day anyways, give it to him then. Ask the barn owner to. Wouldn't be too hard I'd think.

Most of us are just getting worked up over the fact that everyone on the thread, with dozens more years of horse experience, are telling you exactly how to stop your cribbing horse, as well as possibly fix a few of his other issues. And it sounds like you don't want to do that because of convenience. I don't see any reason that, even if you don't think it could work, you couldn't try it. Walking to go get him or having to go feed his probiotic is nothing compared to a happy healthy pony.

He does come to me! But so does every other horse! Which is hard for little 5 foot me to get Ben out of the pasture when 45 other horses want out to! I try to get them to go away but they really don't care, at feeding time I have almost been ran over on several occasions. Most of the horses there don't care and will run right over the top of you to get food.

His hoofs are not getting any better, the tenderness is actually getting worse.





You guys will not believe me on this but I know this horse very well, I am almost to 4 years of owning him. He is not a 24/7 turn out kind of horse. Every time I ask people who know him well about turning him out 24/7 they just laugh at me. Because when it is 40 degrees, windy, and he does not have a blanket on, he is shivering under a tree. 45 and raining? Shivering under a tree. At my old barn they would have to force him to outside if it was below 30 or about 80. The old BO said she once fought with him for 20 min to go outside because it was cold. At my old barn the BO could see his pasture from her house and she said she always felt so bad for him. She said it would be about 40 and windy and if he didnt have a blanket on he would have his butt to the wind, standing in the same place all day long, while other horses are bucking and having a ball.

I understand people have WAY more years on me, but if people would go back to my original post I did not ask help about what I was doing wrong for the care of my horse, I asked for home remedies for yucky tasting stuff that I could put on his stall to lessen the cribbing when he is inside.
     
    05-20-2013, 12:21 PM
  #43
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatrinaB87    
I had a friend with a 30-something year old gelding that loved to crib while he ate. He was in the pasture all day with two other horses to play with, and would still crib.

She chose against putting a cribbing collar on him simply because she felt he's old enough to have earned that one bad habit (she referred to it as his "smoke") and it was not affecting his health, just a little annoying.

Deserthorsewoman might have the cure- leave him out!
Thanks! He does not crib outside, never has, the old barn I was at could see him from her house and said she never once saw him cribbing.
     
    05-20-2013, 12:23 PM
  #44
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatrinaB87    
If they feed at 2pm and your horse is out, how is his feed not getting stolen?


The horses that have stalls come inside, and eat in their stalls. The horses on pasture board, he out of individual feeders.
     
    05-20-2013, 12:26 PM
  #45
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama26kids    
well, some horses really just can't be locked up or stalled for any period of time. I have a horse like that. I recently leased him out to a trainer with the stipulation is that he has 24 hour out access. She rearranged how her horses were kept to manage him because her horses don't mind being stalled. He has just a small turn out, the size of a round pen, but that's plenty to make him feel unrestricted. I was glad to find a trainer who understood. He plain flips out, get diarrhea and was starting to crib when I first got him and was locking him up at night. His stall had a window, but that just wasnt enough for him. My other 3 horses are pleased as peaches to be closed in all warm and cozy. They even lay down in the stalls.

So, even though it might seem like just night time wouldnt be a problem it really could be.

Is there a way to set up a round pen area or leave your horse is a smaller open area at night. Weather is better now, many horses don't sleep under cover.
Saddly there is no place for him to be turned out in a smaller area.
     
    05-20-2013, 12:33 PM
  #46
Trained
Something for the analytical mind:
Cribbing when in stall vs. NOT once cribbing when outside, even when hot, cold or wet.

What does this tell the analytical mind?

A horse stalled 16 hours and out 8 will not grow enough coat to stay warm outside. Blankets help in that case. Or leaving horse out so he can grow that coat come fall.
If coat is not wanted for convenience, again, blanket.

Having presence in form of a whip if need be when going in with 45 horses will make a difference.
     
    05-20-2013, 12:40 PM
  #47
Showing
When I boarded horses they were all turned out 24/7. They came when called, got plenty of exercise and no cribbers. Did they get individual feed? Nope, only what the owner offered. The horses had good weight and were in good health.
     
    05-20-2013, 12:42 PM
  #48
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
Something for the analytical mind:
Cribbing when in stall vs. NOT once cribbing when outside, even when hot, cold or wet.

What does this tell the analytical mind?

A horse stalled 16 hours and out 8 will not grow enough coat to stay warm outside. Blankets help in that case. Or leaving horse out so he can grow that coat come fall.
If coat is not wanted for convenience, again, blanket.

Having presence in form of a whip if need be when going in with 45 horses will make a difference.

First off he is outside 12-13 hours a day. Not 8. He is blanketed, from August to April roughly. The time I talked about him under a tree and shivering was before he had blankets. He still does do that to some extent, but has gotten better with blanketing.

Without blanketing, he has NEVER grown in a thick coat, not ever.

Another reason for no 24/7 turnout- If is is 10 degress one night, but then 40 the next day how am I supposed to change his blankets? Go out at 5 am before school to look for him on 70 acers and change a blanket in the dark, going to school smelling like a blanket? No thanks.

If it is 10 degrees outside, its about 25 or so in the barn, which means he can just wear a medium weight.
     
    05-20-2013, 01:47 PM
  #49
Foal
Oh, I know! DEWORMER!!! Just put that on the stall. That's guaranteed to keep him from cribbing ;)
verona1016 likes this.
     
    05-20-2013, 02:00 PM
  #50
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenLoverforLife    
First off he is outside 12-13 hours a day. Not 8. He is blanketed, from August to April roughly. The time I talked about him under a tree and shivering was before he had blankets. He still does do that to some extent, but has gotten better with blanketing.

Without blanketing, he has NEVER grown in a thick coat, not ever.

Another reason for no 24/7 turnout- If is is 10 degress one night, but then 40 the next day how am I supposed to change his blankets? Go out at 5 am before school to look for him on 70 acers and change a blanket in the dark, going to school smelling like a blanket? No thanks.

If it is 10 degrees outside, its about 25 or so in the barn, which means he can just wear a medium weight.
You stated he had less turnout in the previous barn,,where he supposedly was miserable outside, no matter what. But that's not the point. Horses grow their full coat only when all out without blanket.
Anyway, I think you want a quick fix, a band aid, because him cribbing " annoys the CRAP out of you", so, again, try the real sheepskin to cover the straps of the cribbing collar.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cribbing Kdobbert Horse Training 19 08-22-2012 01:21 PM
Cribbing HooverH Horse Health 10 02-28-2010 09:03 AM
Cribbing!!??? horseluver50 Horse Health 28 11-18-2009 09:25 PM
Cribbing! chelssss(: Horse Training 18 06-01-2009 06:39 PM
Cribbing! equifreak Horse Health 11 05-24-2007 06:55 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0