Dark Yellow Pee
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Dark Yellow Pee

This is a discussion on Dark Yellow Pee within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • What does it mean when a horses pee is really yellow
  • Horses green urine

Like Tree6Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-28-2012, 05:28 PM
  #1
Weanling
Dark Yellow Pee

I have only noticed this because I am spending more time with my horses due to the fact that I am having to hand graze them. Queen is coming out of heat, and Kita is in standing heat at the moment. This morning while grazing I noticed they both have really dark yellow pee, which turns kind of red at the end. They are being fed a 12/8 pelleted grain, one flake of alfalfa am/pm, all the grass hay they can stand, and I am hand grazing them as well. They have access to fresh clean water all day long, and have a salt and mineral block. My gelding doesn't have this issue. His pee is clear and normal looking. Should I be worried about my mares? Or is this normal for a mare that is in or coming out of season?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-29-2012, 12:36 AM
  #2
Weanling
Sometimes darker urine color can indicate a horse is getting a little too much protein in the diet. ? Some mares in season have darker pee.
     
    04-29-2012, 04:32 AM
  #3
Showing
OP I advise you to call up your vet and ask them over the phone. They are a lot more knowledgeable and phone advice is free :)
Nitefeatherz likes this.
     
    04-29-2012, 06:36 AM
  #4
Weanling
She's right. We are all morons here and we charge outrageous fees LOL. I'll bill you later.
     
    04-29-2012, 07:15 AM
  #5
Showing
That's kind of rude... never called anyone a moron.

But I'm serious, I call up my vet (I'm in another country/hemisphere for crying out loud) and he doesn't charge me and helps me with advice and we talk things through at times.

It's a good thing to start as they did go to vet school and know way more about it than we could ever aspire to know. It was just advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRichmond    
She's right. We are all morons here and we charge outrageous fees LOL. I'll bill you later.
     
    04-29-2012, 08:10 AM
  #6
Weanling
It's called Humor LOL. I think you took it the wrong way. No worries. And I give vets credit when and where credit is due, and respect and honor those who live by their oath - not all vets are created equal and I don't pay empty homage because of someone's education and/or credentials, like everything else the proof is in the deeds for me.

I find lots of horse people have strong characters and opinions, and we learn so much from each other about ourselves and about our horses, despite some of the occasional head-banging.
armydogs and FaydesMom like this.
     
    04-29-2012, 07:25 PM
  #7
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRichmond    
It's called Humor LOL. I think you took it the wrong way. No worries. And I give vets credit when and where credit is due, and respect and honor those who live by their oath - not all vets are created equal and I don't pay empty homage because of someone's education and/or credentials, like everything else the proof is in the deeds for me.

I find lots of horse people have strong characters and opinions, and we learn so much from each other about ourselves and about our horses, despite some of the occasional head-banging.
I did!! I thought you believed I was being a jerk and calling you dumb! Definitely not! :P

And I agree, not all vets are created equal, but I still advise the OP to talk with their vet about it. Get as many opinions as possible, research it, etc.

No head banging (rock n roll anyone?) over here I just don't like to seem like a huge jerk to people when I'm being very sincere!
DRichmond likes this.
     
    04-29-2012, 07:52 PM
  #8
Trained
What is the mare's water intake like. Many times a darker urine can be caused by them not drinking enough water. (Which is more common in winter)

It could also be due to infection, or their heat cycles or whatever else...
themacpack and Ripper like this.
     
    04-29-2012, 09:44 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLaPorte432    
What is the mare's water intake like. Many times a darker urine can be caused by them not drinking enough water. (Which is more common in winter)

It could also be due to infection, or their heat cycles or whatever else...
I can't be positive on their water intake. They all go to the trough at the same time, and drink/playin the water. I have what I believe is a 50 gal trough, and at the end of the day it is only half gone. If I were to divide that between the 3 horses that would equal about 8 gal a day give or take a few. My guess is it is a mixture of being in heat and not drinking enough water combined. I will call the vet in the morning if things aren't cleared up.
     
    04-29-2012, 11:25 PM
  #10
Green Broke
It seems like I have heard somewhere that alfalfa can cause darker urine. Something to try Googling anyway.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
yellow? shandasue Horse Talk 5 03-02-2012 12:50 AM
How does Bert look in yellow? Golden Horse Horse Pictures 41 08-12-2011 02:07 AM
How to tell dark bay from dark brown Arksly Horse Colors and Genetics 31 04-26-2011 01:03 AM
Yellow snot? Wallaby Horse Health 11 11-18-2010 06:12 AM
how to get rid of yellow jackets Juniper General Off Topic Discussion 13 08-22-2009 10:19 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0