Ok I had a horse die in under 24 hours. Her only simptims were enimmic but when we left her she was still standing and drinking and two hours later dead. I was vary surprized and well unhappy for more details a thred was posted asking for ideas. The necropsy is 2100 and I don't have it to spair. Her stable mate was feed yesterday early because of a winter storm and it was the exact feed we have feed both horses for the last 4 weeks (same brand of feed/grain hay just diffrent bags) but over all the same feed program for months now so allergic reation is not likly I am trying to reach a vet that is willing to come out right now. I have a feeling that the issues I am having are related to a web site the person who made the site is trying to help the horses in need and 361 show my two the reason she says three days on my mare is only because she was gone for two days and my husband feed if you need more back story please see my other post I am so fustrated. And please just pass the link on for the website because things need to change here and well asking for your help the website is not selling/offering anything but the conditions here. Poisoned horses | Abuse Watch
I went to the site that you posted. It seems unlikely that the same person wrote this post and the other post. This post is written so poorly that it is not usable. Sorry. If you have something to say, please use try to write clearly so that we can understand.
What are you feeding them? You say they're new bags and hay. You may have to have both of them tested to see if there's anything off in them. I doubt it's the feed, unless it's a cattle feed. Medicated cattle feed is a quick way to kill a horse. Maybe there was something in the hay? We really do need more clear details in order to offer some guesses as to what may have happened. I noticed your other mare has a foal?
She started two threads, here's the information from the other one:
I had a four year old mare go that seamed to be larhergic so I called my vet, she was eating just seemed like she was vary sleepy. He said not to worrie well the nexed day she was fine and the only diffrence is she was drinking more water. That was about 3 weeks ago Now on the 18th a friend who has done all of her exercising and riding had her working and got video of her troting and My "friend was having a hard time keeping her in a trot because she seamed to feel her oats. Well on the morning of the 19th I went out to throw extra feed and brake ice she looked fine and ate her food without any issues. My friend called about 6 that evning saying she was looking horrible, So my first thought was colic.
I get there and it looks like in under a day she lost 50lbs my first thought was dehidration but her water bucket was under the half way mark so she was drinking. She had stoped eating. I rubbed her belly and pushed and got no reaction out of anything I did. We called every vet number I could find and we couldnt find one willing to come out. (i live in wendover NV/UT the closest vet is about a two hour drive)
We put more water in buckit and she was drininkg, when my husband came into her pen she wondered over to him and put her head on his sholder then followed him around were ever he went. When I looked at her gummes they were white :( we stayed with her untill my stomic started cramping. So her symptoms were
Drinking but not eating
No tenderness anywere encluding hoofs
She seamed a little weak but was walking around on her own
We left a little after 10pm and I asked my husband to cheak on her befor we went to sleep that night and planned on hauling her in to salt lake in the morning, but when we went to see how she was doing befor midnight she was dead. It looked like she just feel over, there was no marks around her feet suggesting she laid down or made any effort to stand. I have another mare same feed/pen everything and she is older and doing perfectly fine. I have talked to a few vets and they don't have any ideas eather. Everyone at the stable is stuned by her loss because she was current on all her shots and passed all the tests helthwise three months ago. So I am asking dose anyone have any ideas what it was that sent her down hill so fast?
A sudden death like that sounds more like colic. I have seen horses that are fine in the morning, colic, and twist a gut and are dead by night. She could have obstructed due to not drinking enough water since it was so cold.