Diarrhea and vet can't help - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 09-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In Sunny, HOT and HUMID S.C.
Posts: 1,428
• Horses: 2
To make sure I understand this correctly.
He only has loose stools when trail riding or doing some other activity that makes him nervous? Normally, while happily grazing in the pasture all his stools are firm, normal pile of balls, horse crap?

If that is the case (and I hope that it is) then I'd say it's nerves. Most horses will have more bowel movements when they get nervous. I've had them crap 3 times in less than a mile because of encountering things that they were very uneasy about. Takes time for them to get more comfortable. Some longer than others, but eventually they get use to the activity as it becomes more normal and the loose stoolst should become less common and eventual stop (if that is indeed the case).

If the stools are usually loose most of the time there can be a number of potential causes. Since worms have been ruled out I'd check on what he might have access to eat besides grass (e.g. Ingesting acorns, oak leave, etc... can cause loose, runny stools). Of course those are not the only potential causes, but you need a vet to consider all the possibilities. They would have the means of checking things beyond the external and the obvious items.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be having a problem with no identified cause or treatment.

They're always going to be bigger and stronger so you better always be smarter. (One of my grandfather's many pearls of wisdom)
its lbs not miles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 29 Old 09-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 21,837
• Horses: 3
Horses can hide their nerves quite well and have tremendous self control but sometimes the runny poop is a giveaway
Magnesium might help
I'm also thinking that if he's drinking a lot of water and out on so much grass there might be something else going on - the fecal count will only highlight worms/eggs in the poop and not tapeworm or encysted worms - and encysted worms will cause runny poop
Have you tried feeding him some sort of chop, alfalfa pellets, sugar beet shreds (soaked) on the evening before the day you want to ride and again in the morning a few hours before you leave - might help bulk him up a bit and slow down his digestion.
jaydee is online now  
post #13 of 29 Old 09-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffyDuck View Post
Do you have ANY idea how many years that has been bugging me?! Thank you again desert :)
Oh, you're welcome
If you need anything else, I'm here
DuffyDuck likes this.
deserthorsewoman is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
Another idea....does he have a new salt source after not having any for some time? Consuming lots of salt=lots of drinking= loose stools
Corporal likes this.
deserthorsewoman is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 9,661
• Horses: 11
It could just be his system too. Heffa Boo aka Honey Boo Boo drops cow pies on a regular basis. HUGE, soft, but not watery, kind of formless piles. I keep her on FasTrack and it helps some, but she's just a heffa when it comes to the cow patty department.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,193
• Horses: 0
There are a number of weeds at this time of year that will cause this. One in particular grows a tall stem with a yellow blossom at the top. The leaves are prickly yet the horses will eat them. The result is almost like cow flops.
Corporal likes this.
Saddlebag is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 09-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 9,661
• Horses: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag View Post
There are a number of weeds at this time of year that will cause this. One in particular grows a tall stem with a yellow blossom at the top. The leaves are prickly yet the horses will eat them. The result is almost like cow flops.
Boo does this even when she's just stalled and not on pasture. I've just learned to pick up after her quickly and hold my nose.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 09-17-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 106
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by its lbs not miles View Post
To make sure I understand this correctly.
He only has loose stools when trail riding or doing some other activity that makes him nervous? Normally, while happily grazing in the pasture all his stools are firm, normal pile of balls, horse crap?

If that is the case (and I hope that it is) then I'd say it's nerves. Most horses will have more bowel movements when they get nervous. I've had them crap 3 times in less than a mile because of encountering things that they were very uneasy about. Takes time for them to get more comfortable. Some longer than others, but eventually they get use to the activity as it becomes more normal and the loose stoolst should become less common and eventual stop (if that is indeed the case).

If the stools are usually loose most of the time there can be a number of potential causes. Since worms have been ruled out I'd check on what he might have access to eat besides grass (e.g. Ingesting acorns, oak leave, etc... can cause loose, runny stools). Of course those are not the only potential causes, but you need a vet to consider all the possibilities. They would have the means of checking things beyond the external and the obvious items.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be having a problem with no identified cause or treatment.
Right. I *think* his poop at home is more solid although I'm not 100% sure. But I do know his first poop as soon as we load in the trailer at home is MUCH more solid than his poops once we arrive and begin working in the arena or the trails.

It's just odd because he doesn't SEEM nervous. He isn't spooky and he preforms well and isn't fidgety.

He has been out of the wild and in training for about 60 days so I can understand why he would still be nervous but he definitely hides it extreme well.

I was thinking that he could be drinking a lot because of the mineral block I have out, but when I take him to the arena (sometimes we stay for 3-4 days) he still drinks a ton and has no block. And still has runny poop.

Is there anything like mare calm that can help calm him down or should I just ignore it and keep introducing him to things the same as I always have?
Posted via Mobile Device
MustangGirl is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 21,837
• Horses: 3
Given his age I would expect him to be having some nerve issues - 60 days under saddle for a horse that was previously living wild and now sort of pushing him in at the deep end a bit is quite a lot of pressure on him
The mare things are allegedly for hormonal issues so unlikely to work at all
You can try magnesium based supplements & valerian root in enough quantity really will act as a sedative and has an anti anxiety effect but you might do better to just take a step back in his workload and allow him more time to get used to things slowly and be able to deal with them himself naturally
jaydee is online now  
post #20 of 29 Old 09-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In Sunny, HOT and HUMID S.C.
Posts: 1,428
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGirl View Post
Right. I *think* his poop at home is more solid although I'm not 100% sure. But I do know his first poop as soon as we load in the trailer at home is MUCH more solid than his poops once we arrive and begin working in the arena or the trails.

It's just odd because he doesn't SEEM nervous. He isn't spooky and he preforms well and isn't fidgety.

He has been out of the wild and in training for about 60 days so I can understand why he would still be nervous but he definitely hides it extreme well.

I was thinking that he could be drinking a lot because of the mineral block I have out, but when I take him to the arena (sometimes we stay for 3-4 days) he still drinks a ton and has no block. And still has runny poop.

Is there anything like mare calm that can help calm him down or should I just ignore it and keep introducing him to things the same as I always have?
Posted via Mobile Device
With only 60 days, as jaydee pointed out, it's most likely nerves. That tends to be the most common case when horses have normal stools except under certain conditions/activities. I've even seen after they start getting more comfortable their stools firm up a bit with just a pit of fluid coming out with it, but crap 3 times before they walk a mile. After a while it should settle down, but keep in mind that "a while" can still add up to a months. My youngest will still take 2 dumps in less than a 1/2 mile when we first start out if I go different route, but then she settles down as long as things appear familiar. That's more my fault because I spend less time riding her out and more time wording on the older mares conditioning so the younger mare isn't spending the time getting use to it.

The water could also be the result of different things, but with diarhea she'll need to take in plenty of water to replace what he's wasting out so I'd be more concerned if he was drinking less. It could also be a comfort thing, but just from what information it's all just speculating on causes.
smrobs likes this.

They're always going to be bigger and stronger so you better always be smarter. (One of my grandfather's many pearls of wisdom)
its lbs not miles is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confused.. Vet checked no foal but is vet wrong?? horsechic1989 Horse Breeding 7 05-27-2012 03:20 PM
Equine Vet vs. Horse Vet Mike_Admin Horse Forum Support Help Desk 22 05-14-2011 08:34 PM
Diarrhea...HELP~! devildogtigress Horse Health 7 07-31-2010 01:42 PM
Attn Vet Techs what is it like to be a vet tech? 22ponygirl527 Horse Health 5 03-30-2010 11:31 PM
Help! Diarrhea! dixiegirl Horse Health 10 03-26-2009 11:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome