Ok I guess ill start by giving my geldings current diet an condition: Grain
- 12% pellets Supplements
- Weight builder (high fat supplement) NuImage (Hoof/coat supplement) Hay
- Extremely high quality coastal Pasture
- Winter: there is a bit of grass to nibble Summer: Its all he gets...lots of good green grass...he gets fat lol
and currently his winter condition is that he looks pretty good. He is a hard keeper during the winter...but he has a thick winter coat even with a blanket on...he isn't showing any ribs or an isn't skinny. He could use a few more pounds though in my opinion...just to help fill out his topline a bit.
The main reason im thinking about changing his diet around is ive herad all this negative stuff about grain an the like....plus ive heard alot of good things about strictly high fiber diets...like they actually help keep weight better the grain diets. I dont have the money to switch hay an such...plus i like my boy on coastal we dont have very good alfalfa in the area...but I cant switch him off the grain and onto something better...
So here is my idea for a new diet: Grain replacement
- Mix of beat pulp an alfalfa based pellets Supplements
- I dont want to change these...the extra fat an such is all good for a competitive trail horse...and trail horses in general...or so i read on the AERC site. I do want to add applecider vinegar in the summer since its suppose to help with flys an make the coat shinny an such.... Hay
He is a young horse...only seven...the main reason im thinking of changing him off grain is ive heard so many negative things lately about it...plus ive heard so many positives about the high fiber diets....
Opinions would be greatly appreciated...plus any suggestions...
also..im aware that ill have to transition him to his new feed so no worries lol