DIY vaccinations in Canada -- HOW???
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

DIY vaccinations in Canada -- HOW???

This is a discussion on DIY vaccinations in Canada -- HOW??? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Alberta equine vaccination laws
  • Purchase equine vaccine in canada

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-16-2011, 09:57 PM
  #1
Trained
DIY vaccinations in Canada -- HOW???

So my mare needs her tetanus booster in the next 10 days or so. I called the vet and they want $160 to do it. *$160* for a shot! Yikes! Unfortunately, no one that I can find will ship vaccines to canada unless you have a vet prescription, which you can't get unless you pay the farm call and the exam and well, then you may as well pay the $160. Has anyone found a work around for this, other than having friends/relatives in the states?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-26-2011, 09:11 PM
  #2
Trained
This is insane. After many many hours of searching and phone calls, I still can't find a supplier in Canada or Ontario. Yet the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Farm and Rural Affairs says that licensed livestock medicine outlets are allowed to sell me a short list of various vaccines. Tetanus and Botulism are both on the list, yet I can't buy them!!! Frustrating.
     
    08-17-2011, 10:37 AM
  #3
Foal
Yeah , I totaly cheat on this..... but then I live right at the US border. I think it's really rediculous that they charge so much for vacc's on this side . For 1 coggin's test I was charged 150.00.( it costs me 16 bucks in MN ) Expecialy when there are a shortages of large animal vets. Well in my area there is, we currently don't have one. I did go ask what a vacc would cost if I gave it myself, they said 30 somthing bucks...but it's still cheaper for me to get them from the states. Do you have more than one vet in the area? I would ask around if you do.
     
    08-17-2011, 09:47 PM
  #4
Trained
We have a few large animal vets in the area, but they all absolutely refuse to cross territories. It's another thing I have issue with.

For example, I adopted a horse that I felt was lame. So, I called the vet that had attended that horse previously and asked her to come out and see him. She said she wouldn't coming into Dr. X's territory. So I offered to trailer the horse to her. Still no go.

All the vets are the same here for that. So from Point A to Point B, you must use Dr. Z; from C to D call Dr. X and from D to E call Dr. M. It's nuts. No choices at all so they can all do as they please and there is little or no recourse when an owner has issue with diagnosis or treatment. Only other option is to trailer 4+ hours away to a clinic.

I will actually be close to the border soon, I forgot... I should see what I can pick up on "the other side."
     
    08-18-2011, 10:41 AM
  #5
Yearling
Have you tried finding vaccinations at a farm supply store? Here in Alberta, UFA carries vaccines for horses, as does a local pharmacy that specializes in animal care and feed. The vaccines do need to be kept chilled until they are used. Perhaps that is the problem with shipping? Are there different laws in Ontario about who can give vaccinations to animals?
     
    08-18-2011, 12:49 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMama    
We have a few large animal vets in the area, but they all absolutely refuse to cross territories. It's another thing I have issue with.

For example, I adopted a horse that I felt was lame. So, I called the vet that had attended that horse previously and asked her to come out and see him. She said she wouldn't coming into Dr. X's territory. So I offered to trailer the horse to her. Still no go.

All the vets are the same here for that. So from Point A to Point B, you must use Dr. Z; from C to D call Dr. X and from D to E call Dr. M. It's nuts. No choices at all so they can all do as they please and there is little or no recourse when an owner has issue with diagnosis or treatment. Only other option is to trailer 4+ hours away to a clinic.

I will actually be close to the border soon, I forgot... I should see what I can pick up on "the other side."


Oh man, I think that is worse than having no vet's around. Our large animal vet retired. Now they "import" one from Saskatchewan once a month, which is fine, but he's insane expensive. I use one who is 3 hrs away from me, and he is half the cost. But if there's an emergency...well let's just hope there isn't one.
I live 20 min from the US border, but since there isn't hardley anything horse related in that area either I have to order stuff from online, or wait for the Breed shows twice a year and pick up stuff near the larger cities. But since I'm pretty blessed and have US horse friends I have stuff shipped to their house and pick it when when I can. Like the vaccinations, you can order most stuff, expect Rabies. The place I order from ships them very well, i've never had issues with the ice packs being thawed out. But it's required next day shipping so physical address is needed.
     
    08-18-2011, 05:51 PM
  #7
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolio    
Have you tried finding vaccinations at a farm supply store? Here in Alberta, UFA carries vaccines for horses, as does a local pharmacy that specializes in animal care and feed. The vaccines do need to be kept chilled until they are used. Perhaps that is the problem with shipping? Are there different laws in Ontario about who can give vaccinations to animals?
Oh, I tried. Trust me; I tried. I finally called OMAFRA (Ontario Ministry of Agriculture & Farm) and they tried sending me to several places. Even direct to a manufacturer. The best answer we could come up with was that the manufacturer was in cahoots with the vets -- sell exclusively to the vets, not to licensed medicine outlets in Ontario.

There are laws about what you can buy for your own use without a prescription, but even what you are allowed to buy, you can't get. Or, at least I couldn't find it.

Edited to add: even US suppliers won't ship to Ontario now. There isn't a law that forbids it, but it's getting nasty and its kind of grey, so the US companies don't want to risk it.
     
    08-18-2011, 05:54 PM
  #8
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwl Merlyn Ledi    
I live 20 min from the US border, but since there isn't hardley anything horse related in that area either I have to order stuff from online, or wait for the Breed shows twice a year and pick up stuff near the larger cities. But since I'm pretty blessed and have US horse friends I have stuff shipped to their house and pick it when when I can. Like the vaccinations, you can order most stuff, expect Rabies. The place I order from ships them very well, i've never had issues with the ice packs being thawed out. But it's required next day shipping so physical address is needed.
YOu know a supplier that will ship meds to Ontario? Really? Oh doooo tell, pleeeeze! I'm looking for 5-in-1 or at least tetanus.
     
    08-18-2011, 06:16 PM
  #9
Showing
Northernmama - did you inquire of the cost if you trailer there? Have you checked Jeffer's Equine or Chick's Saddlery. Jeffers will tell you if they can't ship to Canada. Some stuff requires that they jump thro hoops in order to ship to Canada and they don't bother.
     
    08-18-2011, 09:40 PM
  #10
Trained
Saddlebag, do you mean if I trailer my horse to the vet's? If so, they won't do that. Horses are farm calls only. They don't have a place at their clinic for horses. It would have to be done in the parking lot right beside a busy highway. They're not going to do that.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How soon after vaccinations... Hali Horse Health 2 05-21-2010 10:22 PM
Do you do your own vaccinations? twogeldings Horse Health 22 11-23-2009 10:13 PM
Vaccinations? deineria Horse Health 4 10-24-2009 07:09 AM
Vaccinations.. twice? JustDressageIt Horse Health 12 07-03-2008 07:09 PM
Vaccinations bumblebee Horse Health 10 01-24-2008 12:08 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0