Dry Skin
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Dry Skin

This is a discussion on Dry Skin within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Horse dry skin images
  • Dry skin on horses forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-01-2012, 11:28 PM
  #1
Foal
Dry Skin

So I have always known that my horse, Koby, has dry skin. However I thought it was because his previous owner wasn't allowing him to get enough nutrients for his skin and coat. I started him on some grain in October thinking that would solve the skin issue, but it hasn't. His mane has dandruff and his skin is dry and flakey. Also, I feel like he isn't as shiny as he should be which I'm guessing is because of his skin. I am going to start adding Flax seed to his grain because I heard that helps with the mane and coat. Does anyone else know of any treatments for dry skin? Thanks! I attached a picture of him for all of you who want to know what he looks like ;)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (44.6 KB, 95 views)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-01-2012, 11:30 PM
  #2
Trained
I can't see any dry skin, only fur
     
    05-01-2012, 11:33 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear    
I can't see any dry skin, only fur
LOL That's because the skin is under the fur! ;) Just kidding, the picture doesn't show the dry skin. I know I like knowing what the horse talked about in the thread looks like, so I posted a picture.
     
    05-01-2012, 11:36 PM
  #4
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaMarie96    
LOL That's because the skin is under the fur! ;) Just kidding, the picture doesn't show the dry skin. I know I like knowing what the horse talked about in the thread looks like, so I posted a picture.
Black Oil Sunflower seeds, Veggie oil, omega 3, and a couple other of things help bring shine in the coat.

He sounds deficient in something.. what grain is he on and does he have access to minerals? What's his living like (stall, pasture, turnout, mud, etc.)
     
    05-01-2012, 11:39 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
Black Oil Sunflower seeds, Veggie oil, omega 3, and a couple other of things help bring shine in the coat.

He sounds deficient in something.. what grain is he on and does he have access to minerals? What's his living like (stall, pasture, turnout, mud, etc.)

Thanks! I was thinking Veggie Oil would help...He is on a complete feed at the moment that is alfalfa based. It isn't the best, I know, and I am going to switch him over to something better as soon as I can. He is turned out every day for about 5 hours and then in a stall from noon to 4. Then I usually hand graze him for a little while, while I groom him.
     
    05-02-2012, 12:04 AM
  #6
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaMarie96    
Then I usually hand graze him for a little while, while I groom him.
That's great for him. Grass has a lot of nutrients in it that hay does not.

When you do find a better grain for him, make sure it's got a little of everything in it. I'm not sure how old he is but find something with lots of vitamins and minerals or you could think about doing something other than grain (ricebran, beet pulp) and work in some supplements.

It's kind of like when our skin is dry, except for horses (and suppose for us too) it's something you need to change internally (like diet for nutrition) rather than externally with a topical. Though that can help too.
     
    05-02-2012, 12:11 AM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
That's great for him. Grass has a lot of nutrients in it that hay does not.

When you do find a better grain for him, make sure it's got a little of everything in it. I'm not sure how old he is but find something with lots of vitamins and minerals or you could think about doing something other than grain (ricebran, beet pulp) and work in some supplements.

It's kind of like when our skin is dry, except for horses (and suppose for us too) it's something you need to change internally (like diet for nutrition) rather than externally with a topical. Though that can help too.

Thanks for your help! :)
     
    05-02-2012, 12:17 AM
  #8
Showing
You're welcome :)
     
    05-02-2012, 01:30 AM
  #9
Yearling
Are you in a hot climate and does he sweat normally?... Anhydrosis will dry out a horse's coat. If that isn't the problem then adding oil like the other people have suggested should help. Ricebran works wonders!!
     
    05-02-2012, 11:16 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagonNag    
Are you in a hot climate and does he sweat normally?... Anhydrosis will dry out a horse's coat. If that isn't the problem then adding oil like the other people have suggested should help. Ricebran works wonders!!
I'm in Oregon in the valley so right now it's in the mid to upper 50's. I am definitely going to try the oils. :)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dry Skin Five Furlongs Horse Health 1 04-20-2011 10:38 PM
Dry Skin...HELP!!! seven7max Horse Health 3 03-22-2011 12:54 PM
MTG for dry skin Remi Horse Grooming 5 10-02-2010 01:42 PM
dry skin friafreedom756 Horse Health 1 07-06-2010 02:42 PM
Dry skin Sophie19 General Off Topic Discussion 5 12-05-2009 10:48 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0