In a way I am kind of glad this happened. I know now that I was totally un prepared for this and should have been. Though its not something that a cold compress can fix, I didn't have a good game plan together for "what if". All we did know is that if he would have to require surgery we would have to put him down. I do know that I am super blessed to have friends like you guys and a great vet that handed me off to another vet to take care of this. I had never even talked to my original vet about surgery or colic, I had always figured that he would be there for us. I strongly suggest that you talk to your vet and ask him who he would recomend if he were unavailable or if he didn't do these types of problems. The 2 hours we waited to untill the vet arrived were incredibly stressful for us. We didn't really know what to do for the horse. I looked it up on line and went from there. I called my farrier and God bless that woman! She was a calm voice in the middle of a storm! She even asked if there was anything she could do and offered up her betamine(sp?) (pain killer) if the vet recomeded giving him some. The "new" vet was awesome. He was calm and good natured, he was patient with a sometimes difficult Dumas(Dumas is head shy) I am super happy to tell you all that Dumas is doing really well today. I think this also made Dumas realize that he can trust us more. I don't know if a horse can rationalize help but he is very lovey today which is kind of out of character for him. He seems to really want to be with us. I believe we did the right thing for us and the horse. We caught it very early though. Thanks again everyone! Although we never really see each other I know you were thinking of us and I know there is a real person on the other end of these keys that was caring for us. Thanks!
Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don't be afraid or discouraged by the size of the task, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.
1 Chronicles 28:20