Dumb question?????
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Dumb question?????

This is a discussion on Dumb question????? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Carrot tops for horses toxic
  • Horses being dumb

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-09-2008, 12:32 AM
  #1
Foal
Unhappy Dumb question?????

Are the green tops of a carrot poisonious?? I have been told by some that it is toxic to a horse and other say no it is perfectly fine, WHICH is it Please??
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-09-2008, 12:44 AM
  #2
Green Broke
Hmmmm don't know the answer to that one...i know my horse has eaten em before, but I usually just break em off (there's usually only a stubb on the ones I buy).
     
    10-09-2008, 03:12 AM
  #3
Weanling
I haven't heard that before hmmm well... I gave our horses a whole heap about a year ago. None of them died so I'm guessing carrot tops are not highly toxic; but just because our horses didn't get sick doesn't mean the carrot tops wouldn't be harmful if eaten regularly in sufficient quantities. Not sure about this one...
     
    10-09-2008, 04:43 PM
  #4
Trained
Actually, if you think about it, horses are designed to eat the forage above ground, not the root. So if anything, the carrot root would be harder on them then the greens. I have never heard of the greens being toxic. We used to give all of them to our horses when we dug up the garden in the fall.
     
    10-09-2008, 05:17 PM
  #5
Yearling
I've heard that too, but northernmama has a good point. I'm thinking they aren't.
     
    10-09-2008, 11:12 PM
  #6
Started
Why not place a call to the vet on this one? I've given Major whole carrots before too...but as someone pointed out...it may be a whole other thing when it comes to eating them on a regular basis.a friend of mine had a horse in her pasture..the horse lived there for months. She cut down a tree in the pasture and left it. After it died the horse ate the leaves and it ended up killing the horse. Come to find out..the horse eating a few of those dead leaves didnt hurt it..but after it was cut down and the horse had access to the dead leaves all the time..it basically poisoned her. I think it was a cherry tree...although im not sure. The point is (in my long story..sorry) you can't go by whats safe here and there.
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0