10-30-2012, 04:30 PM
| || |
As others have queried - is it definitely ear mites? I didn't think they were a horse thing. Perhaps a tiny little fly? I've had trouble with them before. They seem to bother horses more that have had the inside of their ears clipped (which is why I do not do mine). In my case, the vet suggested mineral oil with a tiny bit of pesticide added to it and it worked. Have a chat with your vet and see what he/she thinks of that idea.
As an fyi, for cats that I have gotten with ear mites my vet uses an oral dose of medication with ivermictin in it. Not very much but it's enough to poison the cat's blood to kill the mites. He uses that over ear drops because once the mites get way down in the ear, the ear drops won't necessarily reach them.