Early signs of laminitis, weight loss - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 145
• Horses: 2
Early signs of laminitis, weight loss

The last time our farrier was out, he had showed concern about my horse Princess. As I have mentioned before, she is overweight. His concern is the early signs of laminitis that she is showing. That had been eight weeks ago from today, he came out again today. He complimented on how she has lost some weight, but that she has a hundred to two hundred more pounds to lose. He gave me a few things to do to help her lose the weight and prevent full blown laminitis, which is to get way back on her food and exercise her daily. Now the purpose for this thread, is I thought I would post her progress. And I welcome any advice or encouragement. I know this isn't gonna be any walk in the park.

Here are some pictures I took of her today with my phone while the farrier was out, so don't mind his butt in one of the pictures, lol.










I'm gonna really start working on her since I'm on my spring break right now and things are so hectic. Wish me luck.
iambatmanxx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CO
Posts: 5,061
• Horses: 5
Good luck with her! She's really cute!!! Definitely wouldn't want to have any issues with laminitis that's for sure!!!

"The ideal horseman has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman..."
mom2pride is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,995
• Horses: 0
Your farrier is right. Her cresty neck indicates that she is not only at risk from being obese but is at great risk for insulin resistance. I would be surprised if she is not already insulin resistant.

What are you now feeding her? Hopefully NO grain or other concentrates at all.

You should also feed her hay that is very low in sugar content. Obese IR horses can get laminitis from hay alone if has too high a sugar content.

I urge you to go to www.safegrass.org and read up on hay. You may even want to send in a sample of your hay in and have it tested for sugar content to see if it is safe to feed.
Cherie is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: northeast Arkansas
Posts: 397
• Horses: 3
She is very cute and I agree, it'll take some work to get her slimmed down. That cresty neck may not ever go away. I used to help out on a horse farm where my friend worked and a lot of the guys horses were like that, overweight with big cresty necks. Even with the horses on a severe diet that neck never slimmed down even though the horses lost enough weight you could see ribs.
How is she kept currently? How much pasture access and how much grain or other supplements is she getting? Has she been getting worked fairly regularly?
horsecrazy84 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Somewhere on Vancouver Island
Posts: 601
• Horses: 0
She is incredibly obsese and I would be very worried about the possibility of founder.

Its not only her neck that is cresty......she has fat deposit on her shoulders over her rump on the underside of her neck..she also has fat deposits on her back...I would consider her a 9 on the hennke scale.

I would try to find a low sugar hay.....cut her back to just 20 lbs a day preferably divided into four feedings....and absolutely no grain or grain products period.

The other think you can do is put her on Thyro L......I did this with my overweight mare......I had her on the max of 5 scoops for about 3 months and took off about a 100 lbs.

I would start by hand walking this mare for 30 minutes a day and then start lunging her at the trot.

The other thing I do in the winter is a trace clip and don't blanket.

I would not allow your mare any grass what so ever until she is at an appropriate weight.

Super Nova

Last edited by Super Nova; 03-29-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Super Nova is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 145
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2pride View Post
Good luck with her! She's really cute!!! Definitely wouldn't want to have any issues with laminitis that's for sure!!!
Thank you! And no, we don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Your farrier is right. Her cresty neck indicates that she is not only at risk from being obese but is at great risk for insulin resistance. I would be surprised if she is not already insulin resistant.

What are you now feeding her? Hopefully NO grain or other concentrates at all.

You should also feed her hay that is very low in sugar content. Obese IR horses can get laminitis from hay alone if has too high a sugar content.

I urge you to go to www.safegrass.org and read up on hay. You may even want to send in a sample of your hay in and have it tested for sugar content to see if it is safe to feed.
When I first got her about five years ago, she was at a healthy weight, but she has always had that crusty neck. The previous owners, who are friends of ours, told us that it's common in Welsh Cobs. Which she has Welsh Cob in her.

Right now, we just have her on hay. She's outside in a dirt paddock all day, with no access to grass. We don't give her any grain. She gets two flakes in the morning and two at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsecrazy84 View Post
She is very cute and I agree, it'll take some work to get her slimmed down. That cresty neck may not ever go away. I used to help out on a horse farm where my friend worked and a lot of the guys horses were like that, overweight with big cresty necks. Even with the horses on a severe diet that neck never slimmed down even though the horses lost enough weight you could see ribs.
How is she kept currently? How much pasture access and how much grain or other supplements is she getting? Has she been getting worked fairly regularly?
Stated above, she has always had somewhat of a crusty neck. Now, no where near as bad as it is now, but she has always had one. I'm not sure if it's because of her bloodlines, or not.

Also as I said above, we keep her in a dirt paddock during the day and we bring her in the barn at night. Giving her only two flakes in the morning and two at night. We've only started her diet when winter began. Over the summer, she was out on the pasture all day. I had been really busy with work over the summer and hadn't been able to work her. She currently does not get any grain or any other supplements, for the fact that I can't afford at any supplements for her at the moment. As for working her regularly, I have been walking her around for about ten minutes a day. But I plan on stepping that up to a good 30-40 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nova View Post
She is incredibly obsese and I would be very worried about the possibility of founder.

Its not only her neck that is cresty......she has fat deposit on her shoulders over her rump on the underside of her neck..she also has fat deposits on her back...I would consider her a 9 on the hennke scale.

I would try to find a low sugar hay.....cut her back to just 20 lbs a day preferably divided into four feedings....and absolutely no grain or grain products period.

The other think you can do is put her on Thyro L......I did this with my overweight mare......I had her on the max of 5 scoops for about 3 months and took off about a 100 lbs.

I would start by hand walking this mare for 30 minutes a day and then start lunging her at the trot.

The other thing I do in the winter is a trace clip and don't blanket.

I would not allow your mare any grass what so ever until she is at an appropriate weight.

Super Nova
Thank you for your advice. I have been planning on walking her for 30-40 minutes a day. I will also look into Thyro L and see how much it will cost.

Here are a few pictures of her back a couple years ago.





iambatmanxx is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 03-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Somewhere on Vancouver Island
Posts: 601
• Horses: 0
She is still what I would consider overweight in those pics...still see fat deposits just behind her shoulder...........she is a nice looking horse when she is thinner......I would consider her a 7 to 7.5 in that picture......I would be aiming for a 4 to 6 with 5 to 5.5 being ideal........if you go to TheHorse.com I believe they have a video you can watch that shows you how to score your horse.

Her cresty neck is strictly due to having to much weight on her at one time.....it is one of the last places they lose weight.....so you will actually have to get her on the lean side and keep her that way for awhile in order for the neck to go down.

Super Nova

Last edited by Super Nova; 03-29-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Super Nova is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 145
• Horses: 2
Just to give an update on what is going on, I've been working with her every single day for a good half hour - forty five minutes. I've cut back on what she's eating as well. Unfortunately it has been raining here nonstop for the past week and it is nothing but water and mud here. We don't have an indoor arena, so I've been stuck with just walking her around in the mud.

So far she has lost weight, but still has quite a way to go.
iambatmanxx is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 04-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,091
• Horses: 0
it will also help to double or triple net her hay so it takes her more work to eat it

I have had great luck with Remission on my mare that wants to get cresty and fat ... also important to remember not to neglect the nutrition on this diet

I have been called the NSC Nazi more then once ... I hate traditional feed methods of loading our horses up on grains and junk food :)
Peggysue is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 145
• Horses: 2
Hmm, I will definitely look into that. The thing is, when we let our three horses out in the paddock, we just throw hay out there. We separate the hay so it's far enough where the horses can get their own two flakes.
iambatmanxx is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Depression/sluggishness, weight loss, muscle loss barrelracerchick Horse Health 39 06-16-2011 02:02 AM
Help with weight loss mooney Horse Nutrition 7 02-06-2011 10:31 AM
Weight Loss RedTree Horse Health 1 02-18-2010 04:34 AM
weight loss Gods Creatures Horse Health 4 11-24-2009 02:29 PM
Weight Loss Cowgirl74 Horse Health 3 01-08-2009 01:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome