electric wire strips fencing..opinions?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

electric wire strips fencing..opinions?

This is a discussion on electric wire strips fencing..opinions? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Fence security wire strips
  • Electrified fence strips

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-01-2011, 10:16 AM
  #1
Weanling
electric wire strips fencing..opinions?

Hi, We are looking at a property of 10 acres and all the pastures have if I remember right, 3 strands of the 2" electric tape. The corners are wood posts and metel post in between, It looks very nice and is in very good shape. Just wondering what all of you think of this type of fencing? Is it exspensive to run, it is surely very visable to the horses. Thank you!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-01-2011, 11:00 AM
  #2
Green Broke
We run electric fence, but we also have regular fence up. The electric keeps the horses from chewing up the wood posts.
My Dad used electric on our farm when I was a kid because we had a lot of land. He was always checking the lines to make sure nothing was touching them. Also, everytime it rain part of the fence would go out.
     
    01-02-2011, 12:00 PM
  #3
Super Moderator
Electric fences are very high maintenance and very difficult if you do not have experience with them. They are terribly unsafe perimeter fences; they are acceptable cross fences if they are very well maintained; and they are great to put on top of regular fences to keep horses from playing or fighting across the fences. It is imperative that you have a very good fence charger, keep it properly grounded and know how to keep it from 'shorting out'.

Electric fences have some very big enemies. Our biggest ones are deer and power outages. Others are wind storms that blow limbs down across them, rainy wet weather, tall grass or weeds near them, new horses that are not used to them, and many others.
     
    01-02-2011, 11:19 PM
  #4
Green Broke
We use all electric at our current facility. It's 2" tape with 3 strands of aluminum covered wire below it. It works very well. The horses respect it and it doesn't look bad either. It's very affordable to run. If you find the electric bill high, you can buy solar powered chargers. They can be pricey to buy, but you don't have to worry about power outages or a higher electric bill. We're moving to a new location and will have solar chargers for our fencing. They have an internal battery that stores 2 weeks worth of juice should we go through a cloudy period. You can buy spare batteries to keep charged should you have more days of clouds than that, but I have never had that problem when I used solar charges in the past.

We have had very good luck using it at our current facility. We keep the ground under the fence sprayed with weed killer. As long as you keep the fence line clear, you use good insulators, and your corner posts are solid with good corner insulators, then electric fences are easy to maintain are very secure. Electric fences in wooded areas, areas with dense or fast growing vegitation, or on larger properties can be a real pain in the rear and hard to deal with. But electric on small to medium sized horse properties in good pasture areas are relatively easy to maintain.

You will want to inspect the tape to check for cracking or splitting. Ask the property owners how long it has been up and which brand it is. Most will have a UV rating for 2 to 5 years. After that, the tape will start to break down and may need to be replaced. Some products last longer. You will need to research it to see.
     
    01-02-2011, 11:50 PM
  #5
Showing
We have split rail in the back pastures, split rail with electric wire in the main dirt pasture, and non-hooked up electric tape for the round pen and riding ring. The tape holds up really well, but obviously in our rings they aren't electrified for obvious reasons. The connectors always break, though, which I hate.
     
    01-03-2011, 11:45 AM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie    
Electric fences are very high maintenance and very difficult if you do not have experience with them. They are terribly unsafe perimeter fences; they are acceptable cross fences if they are very well maintained; and they are great to put on top of regular fences to keep horses from playing or fighting across the fences. It is imperative that you have a very good fence charger, keep it properly grounded and know how to keep it from 'shorting out'.

Electric fences have some very big enemies. Our biggest ones are deer and power outages. Others are wind storms that blow limbs down across them, rainy wet weather, tall grass or weeds near them, new horses that are not used to them, and many others.

Sorry but I do not agree.......we moved to our place 10 years ago and I had no experience with electrical fencing........I had the electrician hook up the charger and the first ground rod. We have 4.5 acres fenced off in Electrobraid with tons of interior fencing done with electric tape......I installed 95% of it myself including digging and installing all the posts.

Maintenance is minimal...once year make sure the Electrobraid is tight, replace broken clips as needed, we either weed wack or do round up under the fence line.

Our new horses are introduced to electric in a small gravel paddock attached to their stall.....we walk new horses around the perimeter and then just let them go......one touch and they firgure it out.

There are a few simple principles that you need to know about electric fencing but it is not rocket science.






Super Nova
     
    01-03-2011, 11:52 AM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nova    
Sorry but I do not agree.......we moved to our place 10 years ago and I had no experience with electrical fencing........I had the electrician hook up the charger and the first ground rod. We have 4.5 acres fenced off in Electrobraid with tons of interior fencing done with electric tape......I installed 95% of it myself including digging and installing all the posts.

Maintenance is minimal...once year make sure the Electrobraid is tight, replace broken clips as needed, we either weed wack or do round up under the fence line.

Our new horses are introduced to electric in a small gravel paddock attached to their stall.....we walk new horses around the perimeter and then just let them go......one touch and they firgure it out.

There are a few simple principles that you need to know about electric fencing but it is not rocket science.






Super Nova
I agree with this. In the summer we put up a temporary electric fence so the horses can be grazed on the lawn. The hardest part is teaching guests not to touch it.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
  #8
Trained
Ha! You're nicer than me. I let people touch it. I'm so tired of people hanging on my fences (and stretching them out) that I stopped telling them if it was on or off. They have no reason to touch them anyways or to be in the pasture without my permission or supervision.

I LOVE your set up Super Nova. I'd like to buy a property in the next 1 1/2 years or so and I've been daydreaming (a little premature I know) about how I'll set up my barn/stalls/paddocks/pastures. That gives me some good ideas about the barn/paddock areas.
     
    01-03-2011, 12:56 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes    
Ha! You're nicer than me. I let people touch it. I'm so tired of people hanging on my fences (and stretching them out) that I stopped telling them if it was on or off. They have no reason to touch them anyways or to be in the pasture without my permission or supervision.

I LOVE your set up Super Nova. I'd like to buy a property in the next 1 1/2 years or so and I've been daydreaming (a little premature I know) about how I'll set up my barn/stalls/paddocks/pastures. That gives me some good ideas about the barn/paddock areas.
Thank you ........its been a labor of love.....here are some more pics for you to drool over and give you some ideas.

Some of my pastures and a corner of my ring.


My round pen


Another pasture pic

     
    01-03-2011, 01:03 PM
  #10
Banned
Properly installed electric fencing is very safe and very functional.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Fencing questions nyg052003 Barn Maintenance 32 11-10-2010 11:19 AM
Wire Fencing... wild_spot Horse Talk 15 10-29-2010 08:22 PM
The dangers of wire fencing. VERY GRAPHIC PICS .Delete. Horse Health 36 04-08-2010 09:50 PM
Help: Hot wire fencing... travlingypsy Horse Talk 17 06-07-2008 04:32 PM
electric fencing KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Tack and Equipment 5 06-24-2007 10:36 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0