Electrolytes for horses... Who uses them? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Electrolytes for horses... Who uses them?

This is a discussion on Electrolytes for horses... Who uses them? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree3Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-13-2011, 09:35 AM
      #11
    Yearling
    I used electrolytes in the summer and was pretty satisfied with them. I liked that I could Put them in her feed or water so it ensured she got them.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-13-2011, 09:55 AM
      #12
    Yearling
    I gave my mare 2 scoops (the little scoop than comes with the lytes) of electrolytes with her grain every day last summer when the temperature was over 100 for something like 45 days. I was riding her late at night then. I am now giving 1/2 scoop just to finish up the container I have, thinking it will help her to drink water. There are mineral blocks in the pasture too.
         
        12-13-2011, 10:48 AM
      #13
    Green Broke
    When we first came to Texas from Nevada this year, our horses were miserable!!!

    It was already freezing at home then to come to the heat and humidity was a shock for them. They stood still and sweat poured off of them. I used a electrolyte supplement until they adjusted and the weather cooled. It was fairly inexpensive and I noticed it was the same brand that some of the racehorse people here buy.
         
        12-13-2011, 11:07 AM
      #14
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by COWCHICK77    
    When we first came to Texas from Nevada this year, our horses were miserable!!!

    It was already freezing at home then to come to the heat and humidity was a shock for them. They stood still and sweat poured off of them. I used a electrolyte supplement until they adjusted and the weather cooled. It was fairly inexpensive and I noticed it was the same brand that some of the racehorse people here buy.
    We were ALL miserable last summer! I bought my colt at 5 months in July and was so very worried about him in the heat.
    I am a native Texan and what I like about north Texas is our long fall and spring seasons and mild winters. Hate how it can go from 75 degrees to 30 overnight, especially with rain (as in 2 weeks ago!).
    Back to the topic,
    Joe4D I like what you say about the blood chemistry of lytes... need to read up on this!
    COWCHICK77 likes this.
         
        12-13-2011, 11:55 AM
      #15
    Green Broke
    http://www.aerc.org/upload/AERC_RiderHandbook.pdf scroll down, a whole chapter on it,
    Paper by a DVM:
    Sweating the small stuff - DVM

    Enjoy
         
        12-13-2011, 12:23 PM
      #16
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe4d    
    http://www.aerc.org/upload/AERC_RiderHandbook.pdf scroll down, a whole chapter on it,
    Paper by a DVM:
    Sweating the small stuff - DVM

    Enjoy
    Thanks!
         
        12-14-2011, 09:08 AM
      #17
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe4d    
    http://www.aerc.org/upload/AERC_RiderHandbook.pdf scroll down, a whole chapter on it,
    Paper by a DVM:
    Sweating the small stuff - DVM

    Enjoy
    That was the impression I was under, that horse have a hard dissappating heat no matter how conditioned it is. And will only drink enough water to fill his stomach and will not drink again until empty rather than drinking until he is hydrated. After a workout his body will continue to deplete itself of electrolytes for days afterwards. Depletion of electrolytes causes sore muscles, he is going to recover faster after a workout with proper hydration and electrolytes.

    I can buy a 5lb. Tub of Electro-Dex for $10 that lasts me a couple of weeks for 3 horses during the summer. I would say that is inexpensive investment to help them through the stress of summer and training.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-14-2011, 10:29 AM
      #18
    Green Broke
    That brand doesnt have the bicarbonate so would be a good choice, I don't agree with their "put it in the water and don't give them any other water source" That goes contrary to everything I have ever read.
         
        12-14-2011, 10:56 AM
      #19
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe4d    
    That brand doesnt have the bicarbonate so would be a good choice, I don't agree with their "put it in the water and don't give them any other water source" That goes contrary to everything I have ever read.
    I don't do that. I feed it over a little bit of grain after they have been cooled out. I split over a couple of feedings rather than a big bunch at one time. And plenty of clean water.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Does anyone know anything about electrolytes for horses? stablegirl Horse Health 3 02-06-2011 08:35 AM
    Electrolytes...how much? Hoofprints in the Sand Horse Health 14 06-22-2010 04:46 PM
    Electrolytes? aintnocitygirl Horse Health 2 03-14-2010 07:43 AM
    Electrolytes? Hobbitses Horse Health 4 11-20-2009 05:39 PM
    Understanding electrolytes? melinda27858 Horse Health 4 07-23-2008 09:52 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0