Elisa and Coggins?? are they the same??
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Elisa and Coggins?? are they the same??

This is a discussion on Elisa and Coggins?? are they the same?? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Equine coggins test elisa
  • Agid or elisa coggins for canada

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-27-2013, 04:06 PM
  #1
Foal
Elisa and Coggins?? are they the same??

Just woderig are coggins and Elisa test the same thing?? Need to know because I havea jane melby clinic the first week of April. My horse that I just bought had a elisa test last April 25th and it was negative? So do I have to get a coggins test to??
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-27-2013, 04:15 PM
  #2
Foal
Elisa test is the "quick" test, but is not accepted everywhere. I would suggest doing a coggins if they specifically state coggins, so that there are no hang ups.
     
    03-27-2013, 04:18 PM
  #3
Showing
A negative coggins is required once a year anyway if you plan to take your horse off property, so you may as well get it done.
     
    03-28-2013, 11:21 AM
  #4
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
A negative coggins is required once a year anyway if you plan to take your horse off property, so you may as well get it done.
Not true. Many states do not require a current coggins to travel within the state. I am not required for travel or for owning purposes. Know your individual state laws.

Anytime I have had a coggins pulled in the US, it has been ELISA. If you import or export horses to Canada, you are required to do AGID. ELISA is a Coggins test.
     
    03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
  #5
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by wausuaw    
Elisa test is the "quick" test, but is not accepted everywhere. I would suggest doing a coggins if they specifically state coggins, so that there are no hang ups.
Where are they not accepted? The clinic I have used for the last 15 years indicates ELISA on the test type. I've never been anywhere that indicated it had to read AGID.
     
    03-28-2013, 12:08 PM
  #6
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons    
Not true. Many states do not require a current coggins to travel within the state. I am not required for travel or for owning purposes. Know your individual state laws.

SpeedRacer is correct -

Animal Disease Traceability Home
     
    03-28-2013, 12:48 PM
  #7
Started
That is for interstate travel not intrastate travel.
     
    03-28-2013, 11:54 PM
  #8
Weanling
Just to clarify-- ELISA refers to the technique. :) The two techniques for detecting
EIA are ELISA and AGID. ELISAs are not as sensitive (so a low low quantity might be overlooked) but they are both valid!
     
    03-29-2013, 04:49 PM
  #9
Foal
SO they are the same thing one is just quicker then the other??
And thanks for all your responds!! :)
     
    03-29-2013, 05:14 PM
  #10
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopie22    
SO they are the same thing one is just quicker then the other??
And thanks for all your responds!! :)
No it depends on what type of machine is used at the lab. If a vet does it in house is usually the Elisa and if it is sent out to say a university it is the agid
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coggins MissColors Horse Talk 28 12-04-2012 10:46 PM
No coggins? Help! Cowgirls Boots Horse Talk 18 07-21-2011 10:50 AM
Coggins? Phantomcolt18 Horse Health 5 04-23-2011 01:17 PM
Is this a Coggins? SaratogaTB Horse Health 15 09-03-2010 06:20 PM
what exactly is a coggins? Jubilee Rose Horse Health 15 02-19-2009 11:28 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0