Emergency situation. - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: OC, ca,
Posts: 127
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDragonflyWings View Post
Yikes. Yeah, they will probably give him a warning to fix the issues and not do anything about it then and there, which when dealing with somebody like that can be a bad thing, but the only legal thing to do if he won't give them to you or let you sponsor and completely care for them.
Well called this morning. Going to meet them up their on Friday.

Hope he at least get his feet trimmed


APHA <3
HorseGuru is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 01-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,187
• Horses: 0
Neglect isn't just associated with being fed or not. Standing in 4 foot of feces causing severe skin issues and having slipper feet despite having decent body weight IS neglect! I wonder what their entire feet are like internally and externally. I wish you luck.
Northernstar likes this.

Last edited by goneriding; 01-16-2013 at 02:03 PM.
goneriding is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,303
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
You can't get possession of these animals. If AC takes them, they'll go to a rescue where they'll be fostered and hopefully eventually adopted out. Chances are, you won't be allowed to be either the foster home or adopter.
Why wouldn't she or he not be allowed to adopt? Around here it is very common for the person who reported them to get the first right of adoption. Rescue need to adopt horses out so I can't see why they would turn them down unless they can't provide for the horse. But that's just my experience and I'm curious why you feel/think that is what will happen? Have you had that problem or know someone who did? Its truly sad if people are turned down when they can provide a good home. I'm very curious about your experience since I work for a rescue and we are constantly trying to improve the industry. Thanks and looking forward to your response :)
Posted via Mobile Device
countrylove is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,322
• Horses: 3
Generally, rescues already have regular foster homes that they use, and just because someone reports neglect/abuse doesn't give them a fast track to getting the animals.

There's no guarantee whoever reported the original owners are a good home, so I'm curious as to why your particular rescue would automatically put the whistle blower at the top of the list.

I haven't had an recent bad experiences with rescues, because I refuse to deal with them. I've been turned down by MAGDRL since in their opinion, having merely owned and successfully cared for a Great Dane for 8 years doesn't qualify me as a 'good home' for another one, because I can't be there 24/7 with the dog. Well geeze sorry, would you like the animal to be fed? Yeah? Then I have to work.
FaydesMom likes this.

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!

Last edited by Speed Racer; 01-16-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Speed Racer is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: OC, ca,
Posts: 127
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylove View Post
Why wouldn't she or he not be allowed to adopt? Around here it is very common for the person who reported them to get the first right of adoption. Rescue need to adopt horses out so I can't see why they would turn them down unless they can't provide for the horse. But that's just my experience and I'm curious why you feel/think that is what will happen? Have you had that problem or know someone who did? Its truly sad if people are turned down when they can provide a good home. I'm very curious about your experience since I work for a rescue and we are constantly trying to improve the industry. Thanks and looking forward to your response :)
Posted via Mobile Device
I know right? That don't make sense. I want to be the first right of adoption. They come look at my horses. Most spoiled horses in so cal.


APHA <3
HorseGuru is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: OC, ca,
Posts: 127
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
Generally, rescues already have regular foster homes that they use, and just because someone reports neglect/abuse doesn't give them a fast track to getting the animals.

There's no guarantee whoever reported the original owners are a good home, so I'm curious as to why your particular rescue would automatically put the whistle blower at the top of the list.
I wouldn't be heart broken if the horse went to a better home. Even if it wasn't mine. But I would be jumping in my boots if I could take him home.


Now the Belgium. I don't think I could house him and I wouldn't try.


APHA <3
HorseGuru is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 410
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
You can't get possession of these animals. If AC takes them, they'll go to a rescue where they'll be fostered and hopefully eventually adopted out. Chances are, you won't be allowed to be either the foster home or adopter.
While ideal, that is not always the case. There are many horses in local So Cal shelters that will probably never make it out of the shelter alive, much less find a rescue or adopter.

OP, please keep us posted! If they do seize them, I am sure once released from evidence they would be available for adoption (as long as there is nothing severely medically wrong) and you could get the one you want. Just because you reported it doesn't mean you can't adopt them.
LostDragonflyWings is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,166
• Horses: 5
If the guy has threatened you, why would you ever go onto the property to help the horses? No way is this worth risking your life.

Hopefully the authorities will help. If they don't, call them up and ask why/why not. Maybe they can provide you with other avenues to help.

But, STAY AWAY FROM THIS GUY. I have a neighbour like that. If anything comes up, I call the cops and stay clear.
Northernstar likes this.
NorthernMama is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 3,015
• Horses: 3
I wish you the very best in this! It takes a special person to make that first call - I'm a little alarmed that this owner threatened to shoot you, however, so in that regard, please do tread lightly with outward appearances, but after the initial investigation, I would make numerous follow-up calls and be "the squeaky wheel that gets the grease" - I've seen it personally up here, and it works! There's an awesome rescue (see "Horse North Rescue, Kingsley, MI") that seizes (along with Animal Control), cares for the horses, and after health is restored, good adoptive homes are welcomed. I've donated a day a few supplies to help and yes, it was heartwrenching, but with great success stories in the end. These cases have made our local news every time, and it took people like you who care, and call, call, call until appropriate action is taken. Good luck to you - do what you have the ability to do, keep level headed as you are now, and keep us posted :)
Northernstar is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: OC, ca,
Posts: 127
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMama View Post
If the guy has threatened you, why would you ever go onto the property to help the horses? No way is this worth risking your life.

Hopefully the authorities will help. If they don't, call them up and ask why/why not. Maybe they can provide you with other avenues to help.

But, STAY AWAY FROM THIS GUY. I have a neighbour like that. If anything comes up, I call the cops and stay clear.
He is not the property owner, he is a care taker. I have talked to the property owner and he said was he rents and its his business and to stay away from him.


I believe it has not been reported because the man is so violent.

I fear him but I won't let someone step in the way to have these poor helpless animals without help


APHA <3
HorseGuru is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Emergency eclipseranch Horse Talk 27 07-28-2012 07:45 PM
Emergency! eeo11horse Horse Health 10 07-27-2012 06:29 PM
Question: Emergency fund, emergency credit card or? Jumperforjoy Horse Talk 7 03-13-2012 11:47 PM
Emergency? Help? shortysmalls Horse Health 31 01-14-2012 10:21 AM
EMERGENCY help. megan28937 Horse Tack and Equipment 1 09-17-2007 12:17 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome