Is this enough Hay? Too much?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Is this enough Hay? Too much?

This is a discussion on Is this enough Hay? Too much? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Too much hay for a horse
  • How much hay does a pitch fork hold

Like Tree21Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-20-2011, 06:13 PM
  #1
Weanling
Is this enough Hay? Too much?

I feed about 5 quarts of grain twice a day, total of 10 quarts and I have one of those buckets from walmart, pictured below ( not my horse by the way in the pic). I fill that bucket up with hay twice a day and feed that as well. I was at a friends house today and he says he feeds his about the same amount of grain that I do but as for hay and how he measures, he gives his about 16 pitch fork scoops of hay twice a day. Tonight when measuring my hay, I used the fork and I was able to get about 8 scoops in that bucket and it was jam packed. I took it and put in the trough, which is about 2 1/2 ft by 4 ft and it is about 8 inches deep. It pretty much fulled the trough. I did get 2-3 more scoops with the fork and put in the trough. The trough was full and I'm just wondering if that seems like overkill or about right or what?

Before with my hands/arms, I would just grab a big scoop and full the bucket up but maybe the 8 pitch fork scoops were more because with my arms it didnt fill the trough up completely but it was maybe half to 3/4 fill. Will post a pic of my horse. Also to mention, looking at my friends horse, he has a nice round belley and rounder than mine underneath and looking at another friends horse, those were rounder than mines underneath, but from the side view of my horse, his belly is nice and round. When I feel his stomach, I have to press to feel the ribs. If I just touch the stomach, I can't really feel the ribs so I'm thinking what I was feeding was sufficient.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-20-2011, 06:29 PM
  #2
Weanling
Sorry forgot the pics lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horse hay bucket.jpg (41.9 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg Romeo 3.jpg (67.3 KB, 250 views)
     
    12-20-2011, 06:37 PM
  #3
Green Broke
I have filled a bucket before with loose hay and it does not hold much. So I would guess that isn't enough. But it sounds like way to much. Weather can make a difference because if it is cold they need more forage. Why so much grain? A regular horse should get 20-30 pds of grass hay per day and less if it is alfalfa
     
    12-20-2011, 06:44 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque    
I have filled a bucket before with loose hay and it does not hold much. So I would guess that isn't enough. But it sounds like way to much. Weather can make a difference because if it is cold they need more forage. Why so much grain? A regular horse should get 20-30 pds of grass hay per day and less if it is alfalfa
i saw this horse show and think it said a horse needs about 1 pounds of hay per 100 lbs of body weight, if I heard right. Most that I have talked to say that's about the measurment as far as grain. I have a 3 qt scooper and fill it about 2-2 1/2 qts of oats, and about 2 qts of grain/sweet feed from a mill that makes excellent grain. I do that twice per day. Yeah the 16 scoops with the pitch fork seems like a little overkill. I am thinking though with getting about 8 scoops with the pitch fork and it being jammed in that bucket, I mean jammed. More jammed than when I was doing with my arms, I am thinking that trough full of hay is about 10 lbs at least, or maybe 7-10 lbs.

I will probably just keep going at that rate for a few weeks and see how I like that look on him.
     
    12-20-2011, 07:05 PM
  #5
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg052003    
i saw this horse show and think it said a horse needs about 1 pounds of hay per 100 lbs of body weight, if I heard right. Most that I have talked to say that's about the measurment as far as grain. I have a 3 qt scooper and fill it about 2-2 1/2 qts of oats, and about 2 qts of grain/sweet feed from a mill that makes excellent grain. I do that twice per day. Yeah the 16 scoops with the pitch fork seems like a little overkill. I am thinking though with getting about 8 scoops with the pitch fork and it being jammed in that bucket, I mean jammed. More jammed than when I was doing with my arms, I am thinking that trough full of hay is about 10 lbs at least, or maybe 7-10 lbs.

I will probably just keep going at that rate for a few weeks and see how I like that look on him.
Should be more like 3 pounds of grass hay per 100 pds of body weight.
I would feed more hay less grain and it should cost you less also.
loosie, Tianimalz, Kayty and 2 others like this.
     
    12-20-2011, 07:11 PM
  #6
Weanling
My horse gets 4 ''flakes'' of brome hay per day. And only 3 quarts of grain. I think your horse is getting too much grain if anything...Sounds like what your giving in hay is an ok amount...Your horse looks like he's in good condition (: When in doubt, ask your vet.
     
    12-20-2011, 07:43 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque    
Should be more like 3 pounds of grass hay per 100 pds of body weight.
I would feed more hay less grain and it should cost you less also.
sounds good, I will cut the grain down from 10 qts to about 6, maybe 4. It seems as if that 3 qt scooper aint much at all lol even feeding twice a day.
     
    12-20-2011, 08:02 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Put hay out, when it is gone add more. It isnt rocket science. People tend to way over think this. If you put out hay in the AM and it is all gone by the afternoon you didnt put enough out. If there is a bunch left and they are just picking through it getting the good parts you put out too much,
I'd say way too much grain though. Horses evolved to eat grass not super rich grains.
     
    12-20-2011, 08:15 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
put hay out, when it is gone add more. It isnt rocket science. People tend to way over think this. If you put out hay in the AM and it is all gone by the afternoon you didnt put enough out. If there is a bunch left and they are just picking through it getting the good parts you put out too much,
I'd say way too much grain though. Horses evolved to eat grass not super rich grains.
i had a guy today say his horse and small pony went thru a round bale in 2-2 1/2 wks. I have heard others say it last their horse about a month. I also heard others say that you can control feed the way I do and the hay will go longer so judging from what you are saying I don't understand how you should keep putting more out there cause horses are greedy and they will eat as long as the hay is out there right? In that case the whole round bale might need to go out. I know my uncle feeds his horse wayyyy more grain than I do and he says his horse don't eat a full tub of hay in one setting so I guess each is different
     
    12-21-2011, 01:15 AM
  #10
Started
1 lbs of hay per 100 lbs of horse's weight is not correct, it is about 2% of your horses body weight, so if your horse weighs 1000 lbs that would be 20 lbs of hay.
Alwaysbehind and xxGallopxx like this.
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0