Eye Injuries - Page 11
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Eye Injuries

This is a discussion on Eye Injuries within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree50Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-01-2012, 10:41 PM
      #101
    Green Broke
    Oh, he is so cute. Now he looks like he's half APHA and have horsefly.... just kidding. But Reily is ALWAYS once of the cutest darn horses I ever saw even when painted green (lol).

    I bet Doc's staff is just making sure that they are doing everything they can to get that eye to heal and prevent any light sensitivity and the such :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-01-2012, 10:59 PM
      #102
    Green Broke
    Keeping healing vibes coming your way-hope he keeps improving.
         
        04-01-2012, 11:09 PM
      #103
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ladytrails    
    I agree, he's probably been rubbing his eye or the vet wanted to make sure he didn't start rubbing it.
    That's what I think. He was very itchy on that eye yesterday, so I bet he started itching it in the stall too.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny    
    Oh, he is so cute. Now he looks like he's half APHA and have horsefly.... just kidding. But Reily is ALWAYS once of the cutest darn horses I ever saw even when painted green (lol).

    I bet Doc's staff is just making sure that they are doing everything they can to get that eye to heal and prevent any light sensitivity and the such :)
    Thanks!! I'm really sad he's not at the barn today (april fools day) :( last year I wanted to start a tradition of dying him every april 1st to confuse people who come visit the barn. Last year he was green with purple polka dots and little kid handprints all over.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cacowgirl    
    keeping healing vibes coming your way-hope he keeps improving.
    Thank you! I have been hoping and wishing and praying as hard as I can about this since it's happened. Whenever I visit him I have a gut feeling this is going to turn out okay, but I don't want to get my hopes too high.
         
        04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
      #104
    Weanling
    Ouch!!
    I really hope everything works out for you and your handsome boy, I HATE eye injuries, human or horse!

    Robbie had two eye injuries last fall - started out as conjectivitis then turned into a badly scratched cornea on his right eye. It was a pretty deep laceration so the vet wasn't sure if his vision would be affected, but he healed up great from that with full vision in that eye. As soon as that was done, he got some rare allergic reation/infection in his left eye (of course) that took a little more work to recover from but he's fine now. All I can say is thank God for insurance, $3200 in vet bills were covered...he probably would've lost his left eye if I didn't have it!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        04-02-2012, 01:55 PM
      #105
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blush    
    Ouch!!
    I really hope everything works out for you and your handsome boy, I HATE eye injuries, human or horse!

    Robbie had two eye injuries last fall - started out as conjectivitis then turned into a badly scratched cornea on his right eye. It was a pretty deep laceration so the vet wasn't sure if his vision would be affected, but he healed up great from that with full vision in that eye. As soon as that was done, he got some rare allergic reation/infection in his left eye (of course) that took a little more work to recover from but he's fine now. All I can say is thank God for insurance, $3200 in vet bills were covered...he probably would've lost his left eye if I didn't have it!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Thank you! I'm glad it turned out okay for your boy, but dang that must have been hard for you both!

    I can't wait to see my horse again today... I have to wait for a car to borrow because mine is on it's last leg right now and can't make the trip.
         
        04-02-2012, 02:05 PM
      #106
    Started
    Any updates/more pictures??
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        04-02-2012, 02:15 PM
      #107
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WesternBella    
    Any updates/more pictures??
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Not yet! Today's my day off, so I planned on spending most of the day at the barn but unfortunately my car isn't up for the trip today, so I'm sitting here going stir crazy until 5 when I can borrow a car.

    I have been doing a LOT of thinking though... and this is ALL speculative. But I've been a bit irrational and VERY emotional about this whole thing obsessed with keeping his eye. But I need to be realistic, there is no way I can afford months upon months of treatment with no guarantee we can keep the eye.

    IF by the end of this week (the 10 days the vet charges by) the vet's prognosis is the same or worse, I will discuss removing the eye with him.

    That would absolutely KILL me to do, I LOVE this horse and his eyes. BUT if this is causing him pain, and he has to be stalled the entire time of treatment and there is no guarantee of anything, I think he would be happier to get it all over with rather than drag through for a chance of keeping the eye.

    BUT for now I'm not saying anything for sure until I have a lengthy discussion with the vet and have his recommendations in mind as well.

    I feel so hopeful when I see my horse, but when I'm away I just think of the facts and how little of a chance he probably has on this all.
         
        04-02-2012, 02:28 PM
      #108
    Banned
    Hang in there I hope the out come is better then you think from the picture yesterday looks like vet is doing all he can. Will be watching for a update later.
         
        04-02-2012, 08:47 PM
      #109
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spirit88    
    Hang in there I hope the out come is better then you think from the picture yesterday looks like vet is doing all he can. Will be watching for a update later.
    Thanks I hope so too.

    Today I went out to see Reily and I don't have too much to report.

    Luckily even though I went after 'vet office' hours I was still able to run into the doctor. He confirmed that he put the fly mask on because Reily was itching his bad eye. Unfortunately the doctor said it isn't looking better, nor is it working worse. He's only been at the doctors since last wed. So I can't be expecting anything too much, but it's still disheartening.

    He said it was still okay to graze, so we went out for a little while and Reily really like that. He was so awesome we had to pass a loud tractor that was on his bad side that was sputtering as we walked by and he didn't even look.


    He was very snuggly! It was so cute he's started putting his head on my shoulder like a parrot and just sitting there. No idea why, but he seems content.


    I love this boy a little too much...
    Hunter65 likes this.
         
        04-02-2012, 11:28 PM
      #110
    Yearling
    You sound as if you're being very objective and honest with yourself about this. You will deal with this just as Reily is -- he's not wishing it were different, he's just living in the moment - hugging you, grazing, enjoying the sun on his back. With a painful eye, even, he can do this. He's not stressing over not being able to see, so now you know he'll adjust to the situation if he loses the eye eventually. So, knowing that should give you some peace about the decisions you are weighing. He seems to be a wonderful, exceptional horse and he still will be, no matter what this turns out to be.

    Hugs....
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Riding with injuries; who else does it? BrewCrew Horse Riding 25 05-09-2011 12:38 PM
    Leg injuries?? gemtheunicorn Horse Health 1 04-27-2011 04:52 AM
    Tendon injuries? kassyrose Horse Health 0 02-22-2011 07:05 AM
    Injuries and Riding Beau Baby General Off Topic Discussion 2 02-05-2010 02:15 PM
    What injuries have you had? hntrjmpr Horse Riding 49 02-16-2009 01:39 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0