Feeding changes, 5x to 3x a day
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Feeding changes, 5x to 3x a day

This is a discussion on Feeding changes, 5x to 3x a day within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Feeding horse 3 x a day

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-19-2011, 12:45 AM
  #1
Foal
Exclamation Feeding changes, 5x to 3x a day

So, im moving to a different barn with my horse, im at a private barn of my friends, moving to a public barn and he is being fed 5 TIMES a day a I belive 15 or 16 pounds or hay per day but im wondering how I can wean him off 5 times to 3 times a day.
because 5 times is too much for the public place.
I don't want him to colic because of sudden changes in diet.
He has 'enrich 32' supplement 2 quarts daily [pellets]
Im moving him very soon, we are having problems with the owners. Please help or make a schedule or something
Thanks HEAPS!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-19-2011, 12:50 AM
  #2
Green Broke
Just slowly reduce the 2 feeds that you are going to cut out
     
    01-19-2011, 12:57 AM
  #3
Green Broke
Three feedings still seems very generous. He will probably have as much hay overall in his three feedings as he did in five, just larger portions.

I only feed my guys twice a day. Not ideal maybe, but they do fine on it. And sometimes I feed them grass hay along with their alfalfa, so they will have an almost constant supply of hay, even though I only feed twice. So it's more about how much they are given, rather than how many times you put it out there.

In general, more feedings are better, but three is still a generous schedule in my opinion. I think RedTree has a great suggestion.
     
    01-19-2011, 04:22 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by reoandme    
So, im moving to a different barn with my horse, im at a private barn of my friends, moving to a public barn and he is being fed 5 TIMES a day a I belive 15 or 16 pounds or hay per day but im wondering how I can wean him off 5 times to 3 times a day.
Because 5 times is too much for the public place.
I don't want him to colic because of sudden changes in diet.
He has 'enrich 32' supplement 2 quarts daily [pellets]
Im moving him very soon, we are having problems with the owners. Please help or make a schedule or something
Thanks HEAPS!
First off, Enrich 32 is not a supplement. It is a ration balancer. Approx 2.5cups is equal to 1lb of Enrich. If you are feeding 2 quarts of Enrich 32, that is approx 8 cups, you are WAY overdoing it. Ration balancers are designed to be fed at 1lb daily for the average 800-1200lb horse. If you are feeding THAT much, you are on the verge of toxicity.

What is your horses weight, age and workload?
     
    01-19-2011, 09:51 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFastHorse    
First off, Enrich 32 is not a supplement. It is a ration balancer. Approx 2.5cups is equal to 1lb of Enrich. If you are feeding 2 quarts of Enrich 32, that is approx 8 cups, you are WAY overdoing it. Ration balancers are designed to be fed at 1lb daily for the average 800-1200lb horse. If you are feeding THAT much, you are on the verge of toxicity.

What is your horses weight, age and workload?
He is 1500 lbs, 14yrs, & it depends, usually 6 days out of the week he gets ridden or lunged, he is in the pasture in mornings.
     
    01-19-2011, 10:18 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by reoandme    
He is 1500 lbs, 14yrs, & it depends, usually 6 days out of the week he gets ridden or lunged, he is in the pasture in mornings.
1500lbs? that's a BIG horse. Is that an actual weight measurement or a guess?

I'm assuming he is not in heavy work tho, correct?


If he actually weigs 1500lbs, then 15lbs of hay isnt enough.

If you increase his hay intake, he will most likely gain the weight you want. Horses need a MIN of 2% of their body weight in forage (hay). He should be getting 30lbs of hay MIN per day. Free choice would be even better, especially if you're wanting hinm to gain some weight.

If I were you, I would increase the hay and I would also back the enrich down to 2.5lbs per day which is about 6 cups.

If you still don't see the weight that you want after the hay increase, then add more calories in the form of alfalfa pellets or cubes, rice bran or beet pulp.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feeding beet pulp pellets? And hay feeding questions... Wallaby Horse Nutrition 2 12-09-2010 07:52 AM
Feeding an raw egg horses_r_life9 Horse Health 10 02-19-2009 11:42 AM
Feeding... Green Jasper Horse Health 2 10-15-2008 03:24 AM
Am I feeding him right? sydney Horse Health 8 08-18-2008 11:24 PM
feeding... Jr_lover Horse Health 13 03-03-2008 05:18 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0