A couple years back, we started finding strange irritating lumps on my horse...when they were biopsied both times (2 different years) it came back as an allergic reaction to insect saliva. She never really had any other allergic symptoms, just these strange lumps. So we had an allergy panel done on her, and it came back with all KINDS of stuff she was allergic to, and the degree to which she was. Here's the list, and a key to reading it:
*KEY = (BL-P=Borderline Positive, P=Positive, HP=Highly Positive)
Shavings (birch mix) - 214 P
Johnson grass -- 176 BL-P
Alfalfa pollen -- 176 BL-P
Red clover -- 177 BL-P
Mold (botrytis cinera) -- 230 P
Mold (candida) -- 178 BL-P
Mold (Grass smut mix) -- 176 BL-P
Insects (caddisfly) -- 176 BL-P
Insects (Culicoides) -- 176 BL-P
Molasses -- 437 HP
Soy beans -- 218 P
Her two food allergies are listed above...I expected the insect sensitivity because of the lumps and then got more than I bargained for with the food allergies. So we immediately took her off any horse treats that had molasses in them (which is most of them!) and off her current feed which was pelleted with no molasses but which contained soy beans (like most of them do!).
Ever since this, it's been a struggle to feed her...she's on barley and then we have to fill in the gaps of her nutrition with supplements from SmartPak but my Paint/QH is now always battling keeping weight on her when she used to be an easy keeper. My question is...if she never seemed to react (no hives or anything) before we did this allergy panel and discovered the food allergies, should I just wean her back onto a horse feed and see what happens?
With allergies, besides the obvious skin allergies, are there any other symptoms I should be looking for if I do that?