Originally Posted by countrylove
As an avid fish lover I would be concerned about the amount of ammonia the gold fish put out. I'm going to assume ammonia is bad for horses just like anything else? I know for certain most other fish cannot live with goldfish due to ammonia levels. Another issue I would worry about is horses are unable to regurgitate and I can't see how digesting a gold fish could be good and I would worry they would choke on one?
Posted via Mobile Device
Ammonia could be an issue, if allowed to reach very high ppm. But when you consider an average tank (100+gallons) being refilled every day or two and containing 3 or 4 3" fish, I really can't see the levels being any more then some tap water. Also, with plant matter and the such floating around as well as natural alges and arobic micro organisms, it's quiet the micro environment. I'll test our horse water tomorrow for ammonia, something I hadn't thought to do. . At what level would you consider a concern? Posted via Mobile Device