Getting him to eat - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Getting him to eat

This is a discussion on Getting him to eat within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-12-2009, 11:17 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    Maybe not my place to speak here but not everyone has a savings account for their horse, but it doesnt mean we can't take care of them.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-12-2009, 11:19 PM
      #12
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by My Beau    
    I'm really not trying to be mean... but, if you have to save up money to have your horse's teeth floated, maybe you shouldn't have horses. Part of ownership is being able to provide care in an emergency, and if you don't have money for the vet, what are you going to do?
    Times are tight for everyone. I have to save up for the veterinary visits. Does it make me a bad owner?. According to what you've said that would mean that 90% of people who own horses should give them up because we don't have cash that we can pull out of out butts..

    At least she's trying. Unlike some who wouldn't give a crap.
         
        07-12-2009, 11:22 PM
      #13
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nldiaz66    
    maybe not my place to speak here but not everyone has a savings account for their horse, but it doesnt mean we can't take care of them.
    I understand, I don't have one for horses, but if one of my horses needed something I could pay for it up to about $400 out of pocket. Anything more than that and their insurance would have to kick in or I would start calling family/friends to see if I could get a "loan".

    Just, a tooth float is about $70 here, so let's say $50-$100, depending on where you are. And if he's having trouble eating, I think he needs one NOW. Especially if he is in pain.
         
        07-12-2009, 11:26 PM
      #14
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Equestriun    
    Times are tight for everyone. I have to save up for the veterinary visits. Does it make me a bad owner?. According to what you've said that would mean that 90% of people who own horses should give them up because we don't have cash that we can pull out of out butts..

    At least she's trying. Unlike some who wouldn't give a crap.
    No, it doesn't make you a bad owner. If there is one thing I know, it's vets can be expensive. I'm just raising the point, that if my always-hungry horse was off his feed then that deserves attention now, IMO. I said I NOT was trying to be mean, just food for thought. I realize she's looking for advice/the solution, which I commend her for.
         
        07-12-2009, 11:37 PM
      #15
    Weanling
    If you know your vet good enough like I do, they would give you lots of advice over the phone, it has saved me lots of vet bills
         
        07-12-2009, 11:39 PM
      #16
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by My Beau    
    No, it doesn't make you a bad owner. If there is one thing I know, it's vets can be expensive. I'm just raising the point, that if my always-hungry horse was off his feed then that deserves attention now, IMO. I said I NOT was trying to be mean, just food for thought. I realize she's looking for advice/the solution, which I commend her for.

    Just, a tooth float is about $70 here, so let's say $50-$100, depending on where you are. And if he's having trouble eating, I think he needs one NOW. Especially if he is in pain.
    Yeah well your "food for though" was offensive and rude. How old are you anyway? Do you actually pay your horses bills 100% or do your parents help?. Because I know that "just" a $50-100 tooth float is still counts and adds up in the end.
         
        07-12-2009, 11:45 PM
      #17
    Weanling
    Britt: you can also try soaking the alfafia and add a very little corn and you can try adding applesauce(unsweetened) to it.I had to do that to get my horse to eat his minerals and he loved it.If that works just add more corn the next feeding.
         
        07-12-2009, 11:51 PM
      #18
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Equestriun    
    Yeah well your "food for though" was offensive and rude. How old are you anyway? Do you actually pay your horses bills 100% or do your parents help?. Because I know that "just" a $50-100 tooth float is still counts and adds up in the end.
    Well, excuse me.
    I'm trying to get her to look at other options, maybe she hasn't thought about emergency care and now she can put a plan together in case something did happen. Really, who wants to see a suffering horse (not that hers are). I have seen dying horses where the owner can't afford the euth/disposal. The horses have to die a slow/painful/whatver death, not quick/humane.

    Selling isn't the only option (I know it's hard to part with them, and I would hate to see her do that), but she could half lease and split vet/farrier/dentist with someone, so it's not as much.

    And my age is not important. I can tell you that I pay for EVERYTHING for my 3 horses. I also work and go to school full time so I can pay for them. And make sure I have enough put away for rainy days.

    I don't see why you're attacking me, for saying one thing - I said MAYBE she shouldn't have horses - not, she shouldn't. I don't know her situation... maybe she is just having a rough time with this economy.
         
        07-12-2009, 11:54 PM
      #19
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by My Beau    
    Corn is okay for horses, but it gives them a lot of energy, since it is extremely high in starches. Some up to 40% in starch. Starch causes lactic acid in the hind gut and is never fully digested. This leads to small problems such as being 'mareish' and more severe problems that we believe is training, when in fact it is what we are feeding. The culprit is the high starch levelsIf I had to feed it I would mix it with some other grain - oats or something.

    Also make sure it is very high quality corn - if you feed moldy/bad corn it can lead to “Equine Leukoecephalomalacia,” or ELEM. It is a fatal illness that leads to an aberration in the consistency of the brain-matter brought on by the chemicals in the mold. Or it may contain Aflatoxins which are molds and will cause liver damage in horses and other animals that consume the contaminated feed. Most mills check for it - make sure yours does.
    Between the starch, high energy, and possibility of mold, why in the heck would you say "corn is okay for horses"?

    Corn is a low protein, low nutrient, "Candy" feed for horses. It is NOT good for them. Plain whole oats is a much better choice, if you have to feed a whole grain. They have a decent nutrient content, and are slightly less "starchy". But really, she's already feeding alfalfa pellets, which are good for horses, high nutrient with quality protein, good energy. So, there is no need to feed corn.
         
        07-12-2009, 11:58 PM
      #20
    Green Broke
    As long as the horse hasn't lost a lot of weight (is at least a 4 on the henneke scale), then he can go a little while longer to have his teeth fixed/floated while you save up. Don't worry, you're not a bad owner . You care and you're trying.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0