Hair Growth?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Hair Growth?

This is a discussion on Hair Growth? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • How long does it take a horse's hair to grow back after sunburn
  • Oil burnt horses hair off

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-26-2012, 09:42 PM
  #1
Foal
Hair Growth?

My horse has a white strip running down her face. Her previous owners never did anything to protect it from the sun, and while what I have been doing has healed the scabs and kept her protected recently, The hair isn't growing back, there is still quite a bit there but it very thin.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to help new hair grow on her face?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-28-2012, 07:32 AM
  #2
Weanling
My horse has a predominantly white face and had the same issue in the past, the owner before the lady I got him from didnt use sunblock and he suffered from pretty bad sun burn. He now has an almost bald patch under each eye, there is some hair but not much at all. Unfortunately if the hair follicles have been damaged (which I think has happened with my horse) the hair will never grow back. I have been using emu oil which is supposed to promote hair growth in the hope that some may come back. Also with sunscreen you need to remember to be washing off the build-up every few days, I use a very mild soap for horses - not his regular shampoo.
There are probably quite a few products you could try but if the follicles are dead then they wont do anything. Its quite sad really because he is a lovely looking boy but his face tends to get comments along the line of - 'oh dear what did you do to him!'.
Next summer I may try a face mask on him and hopefully he will tolerate it, will save me having to slather him in sunscreen every day which he doesnt appreciate!
     
    04-28-2012, 08:49 AM
  #3
Trained
If it's been less than 3 months I would just keep the skin healthy and be patient rather than applying products to it. It takes quite some time for hair to grow back.
     
    05-01-2012, 09:45 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares    
If it's been less than 3 months I would just keep the skin healthy and be patient rather than applying products to it. It takes quite some time for hair to grow back.
Yes, that's what I thought it would so I waited and waited but I figured it's about time now to try and help it grow back!
It had been way over three months.
Thank you !
     
    05-01-2012, 09:48 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi79    
My horse has a predominantly white face and had the same issue in the past, the owner before the lady I got him from didnt use sunblock and he suffered from pretty bad sun burn. He now has an almost bald patch under each eye, there is some hair but not much at all. Unfortunately if the hair follicles have been damaged (which I think has happened with my horse) the hair will never grow back. I have been using emu oil which is supposed to promote hair growth in the hope that some may come back. Also with sunscreen you need to remember to be washing off the build-up every few days, I use a very mild soap for horses - not his regular shampoo.
There are probably quite a few products you could try but if the follicles are dead then they wont do anything. Its quite sad really because he is a lovely looking boy but his face tends to get comments along the line of - 'oh dear what did you do to him!'.
Next summer I may try a face mask on him and hopefully he will tolerate it, will save me having to slather him in sunscreen every day which he doesnt appreciate!
ohh excellent! Someone who's had the same thing!
I will try that emu oil.
Yes, my horse does not like the slathering of sunscreen either
Thank you for the tips!
     
    05-29-2012, 07:45 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi79    
My horse has a predominantly white face and had the same issue in the past, the owner before the lady I got him from didnt use sunblock and he suffered from pretty bad sun burn. He now has an almost bald patch under each eye, there is some hair but not much at all. Unfortunately if the hair follicles have been damaged (which I think has happened with my horse) the hair will never grow back. I have been using emu oil which is supposed to promote hair growth in the hope that some may come back. Also with sunscreen you need to remember to be washing off the build-up every few days, I use a very mild soap for horses - not his regular shampoo.
There are probably quite a few products you could try but if the follicles are dead then they wont do anything. Its quite sad really because he is a lovely looking boy but his face tends to get comments along the line of - 'oh dear what did you do to him!'.
Next summer I may try a face mask on him and hopefully he will tolerate it, will save me having to slather him in sunscreen every day which he doesnt appreciate!

Could I use this?
Shampoo for fast Black hair growth with Emu Oil | eBay
Or is that the wrong thing
     
    05-30-2012, 12:45 AM
  #7
Weanling
That might work but I wonder if a shampoo might be less effective than the cream, have you been able to find any emu oil rub for horses? With the shampoo you wouldnt (I would think anyway) be able to use it daily otherwise it might dry out the skin and make things worse. Also since you would need to rinse the shampoo off its not staying on the skin for long. Are you located in the states? I can't really say whether its actually working or not since I am just hoping that the follicles havent been damaged. I was told that horses that have suffered ongoing sunburn without treatment get burnt by the fluids from broken blisters which also adds to the damage to the hair follicles. I don't know how much truth there is in that but am pretty much resigned to the fact that he is always going to have the bald patches to some extent. Also after washing his face on a regular basis I have removed further patches of hair that had kind of matted down from the sunscreen but were still stuck to his face so its a larger area that it looked when I first got him.
     
    05-30-2012, 02:13 PM
  #8
Foal
You can try 100% Organic Hemp Oil (0%THC and non psychoactive). It is an excellent sunblock and works wonders for healing and moisturizing the skin. The benefits of adding it to your horses feed instead of corn, canola, soy, or flax are extensive. Try googling Hemp oil for horses online and hemp oil as a sunscreen to research for yourself. If you decide to go that route, I can help you find it if your feed or tack store doesn't carry it. 100% organic coconut oil it great as a topical and in the feed as well. It is a natural antioxidant, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal. Coconut oil absorbs into the hair instead of surrounding it helping to moisturize where other oils may keep out moisture causing damage. Coconut oil is used to show horses and really make them shine, and you don't need to wash it out like other products. Both are excellent for skin, coat, mane, tail, and hoove care both internally and externally. Hope this helps!
     
    05-30-2012, 09:03 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi79    
That might work but I wonder if a shampoo might be less effective than the cream, have you been able to find any emu oil rub for horses? With the shampoo you wouldnt (I would think anyway) be able to use it daily otherwise it might dry out the skin and make things worse. Also since you would need to rinse the shampoo off its not staying on the skin for long. Are you located in the states? I can't really say whether its actually working or not since I am just hoping that the follicles havent been damaged. I was told that horses that have suffered ongoing sunburn without treatment get burnt by the fluids from broken blisters which also adds to the damage to the hair follicles. I don't know how much truth there is in that but am pretty much resigned to the fact that he is always going to have the bald patches to some extent. Also after washing his face on a regular basis I have removed further patches of hair that had kind of matted down from the sunscreen but were still stuck to his face so its a larger area that it looked when I first got him.
Well yeah I have looked around but I can't find one specified for horses...
Aw, yeah I know what you mean..i don't want to make it a bigger patch of missing hair
But I'm sure your horse still looks gorgeous
Thanks for your help, I will keep looking, researching...
Oh and no i'm not in the States...
     
    05-30-2012, 09:06 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmonts65    
You can try 100% Organic Hemp Oil (0%THC and non psychoactive). It is an excellent sunblock and works wonders for healing and moisturizing the skin. The benefits of adding it to your horses feed instead of corn, canola, soy, or flax are extensive. Try googling Hemp oil for horses online and hemp oil as a sunscreen to research for yourself. If you decide to go that route, I can help you find it if your feed or tack store doesn't carry it. 100% organic coconut oil it great as a topical and in the feed as well. It is a natural antioxidant, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal. Coconut oil absorbs into the hair instead of surrounding it helping to moisturize where other oils may keep out moisture causing damage. Coconut oil is used to show horses and really make them shine, and you don't need to wash it out like other products. Both are excellent for skin, coat, mane, tail, and hoove care both internally and externally. Hope this helps!
Yes, actually I read in another thread that someone used Organic Coconut oil for making their horses tail shiny, but I didn't know it could be used for anything else!
I haven't been able to find the one that person used either, so if you could help me that would be great!
I
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hair growth help? dakotaa Horse Grooming 2 02-14-2010 12:05 PM
Hair Growth RedTree Horse Health 2 02-13-2010 08:26 AM
Promotes Hair Growth.. NOT mtg. HorsesAreForever Horse Grooming 10 02-04-2009 08:56 PM
hair growth jazzyrider Horse Grooming 17 06-30-2008 07:32 AM
Help me with hair growth. .Delete. Horse Grooming 4 01-09-2008 12:30 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0