Halters
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Halters

This is a discussion on Halters within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Does a halter indentation goes away
  • Indent on horses nose

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-19-2011, 07:48 PM
  #1
Foal
Halters

Ok, so I have a question..
I just took my halters off of my horses because I let them out into some trees and I don't want them to get hooked, and get hurt/die ect.
And there's indents where the halters have been, like on their nose. Is this permanent? Should I be worried?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-19-2011, 08:06 PM
  #2
Trained
Perhaps the halters were too small, or not adjusted properly. I have seen temporary indents for sure, but it's not in the bone, and will go away after a little while -- anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours.

Mind you I have also seen where halters were too small, not adjusted and we had to call a vet to CUT the skin and the halter to get it actually OUT OF the horse. Yikes. Not pleasant.
     
    09-19-2011, 08:09 PM
  #3
Trained
It will go away. 'Halter nose' is the main reason we typically don't leave halters on....I just don't like the way it looks.
     
    09-19-2011, 10:04 PM
  #4
Banned
It may not necessarily go away. I have a gelding with permanent dents and bald spots from either a halter or a tie down.
     
    09-20-2011, 07:30 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMama    
Perhaps the halters were too small, or not adjusted properly. I have seen temporary indents for sure, but it's not in the bone, and will go away after a little while -- anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours.

Mind you I have also seen where halters were too small, not adjusted and we had to call a vet to CUT the skin and the halter to get it actually OUT OF the horse. Yikes. Not pleasant.
No, they're not THAT tight!
I would NEVER do that to them!
I make sure they're not to small, or not to loose..
I'll leave the halters off and see how it looks after a couple of days :)
Thanks for the tips though!
     
    09-20-2011, 07:31 PM
  #6
Foal
Thanks for all the help guys!
     
    09-20-2011, 08:09 PM
  #7
Trained
Cleffapuff -- I didn't think you would. Just wanted to illustrate an extreme and that your situation is probably not an issue at all.

How do they look today?
     
    09-20-2011, 08:12 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMama    
Cleffapuff -- I didn't think you would. Just wanted to illustrate an extreme and that your situation is probably not an issue at all.

How do they look today?
I haven't been out there at all because its been pouring all day. I will look tomorrow, and tell you if you'd like!
     
    09-21-2011, 10:03 AM
  #9
Yearling
Please just leave the halters off completely there is no need for a paddocked horse to have a halter on and it's simply dangerous.

I have seen marks from halters left on that weren't tight. Slight pressure from halter sitting on nose, plus sweat marks, similar to what you might see on a girth line after a ride. The halters can also rub slightly. There is a good chance these marks are harmless and just look odd.
     
    09-21-2011, 12:46 PM
  #10
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinella    
Please just leave the halters off completely there is no need for a paddocked horse to have a halter on and it's simply dangerous.
Re-read her OP. This is exactly why she took the halters off.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PVC halters.. RedTree Horse Tack and Equipment 0 01-09-2011 08:34 AM
25 nylon horse halters and 3 leather horse halters! Piaffe Tack and Equipment Classifieds 4 08-26-2010 10:24 PM
Halters samc230 Horse Tack and Equipment 23 10-19-2009 08:24 AM
Halters DiFea1 Horse Training 1 10-19-2009 12:27 AM
Halters RoCru Horse Tack and Equipment 5 07-22-2009 12:19 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0