Is he too skinny? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 663
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twp View Post
My friend's Anglo Arab was 16.2hh, but had that same build.. Is he very active?
I do free jumping three times a week. (jumps up to 1m high) and he's just been broken in (by me ) and is doing some light exercise like lunging and being ridden in a walk. (we still need to fit a saddle for him, because he's "grown" while he became "fatter". That's why I'm not trotting him yet, because he has a very bumpy trot and it's hard to stay on without a saddle, although I've done it before). I also do groundwork with him, like walking, stopping and trotting in-hand. On the paddock, he runs often with his best friend, Fleet, a TB gelding. After Xmas (I'm getting a saddlery warehouse voucher from my parents :P) I will be able to do more intense work with him, because then I'm going to finally buy a saddle for him.


Proud owner of a Standardbred!
Dreamcatcher5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 12-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: England
Posts: 15
• Horses: 0
Not 'skinny', but he needs a bit of toning up! If you want a food for it Allen and Page is some good stuff :)

My life-long leaders : horses
MarieAndDancerxx is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 12-17-2012, 05:30 PM
twp
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: I'm right Here!!
Posts: 337
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher5 View Post
I do free jumping three times a week. (jumps up to 1m high) and he's just been broken in (by me ) and is doing some light exercise like lunging and being ridden in a walk. (we still need to fit a saddle for him, because he's "grown" while he became "fatter". That's why I'm not trotting him yet, because he has a very bumpy trot and it's hard to stay on without a saddle, although I've done it before). I also do groundwork with him, like walking, stopping and trotting in-hand. On the paddock, he runs often with his best friend, Fleet, a TB gelding. After Xmas (I'm getting a saddlery warehouse voucher from my parents :P) I will be able to do more intense work with him, because then I'm going to finally buy a saddle for him.

Yes! Her horse Loveddd to jump!! I swear, horses with that type of build are always a little harder to stay on bareback, lol.. But, if you can stay on him, you can stay on any horse bareback, lol.

Are you gonna keep him english?.. Or get a western saddle?

I would definitely consult a vet, about how much to feed.. Not saying you don't know how much to feed, but they did tell my friend to feed her horse as much as he would eat.. So, he had food in his stall all the time, untill he started gaining weight.. The vet stuck around to make sure he wasn't gonna eat a whole bucket of food, and he did actually eat only untill he was full, unlike most horses, lol. I would definitely have a talk with them about gaining weight on your horse though. :)
twp is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 663
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twp View Post
Yes! Her horse Loveddd to jump!! I swear, horses with that type of build are always a little harder to stay on bareback, lol.. But, if you can stay on him, you can stay on any horse bareback, lol.

Are you gonna keep him english?.. Or get a western saddle?

I would definitely consult a vet, about how much to feed.. Not saying you don't know how much to feed, but they did tell my friend to feed her horse as much as he would eat.. So, he had food in his stall all the time, untill he started gaining weight.. The vet stuck around to make sure he wasn't gonna eat a whole bucket of food, and he did actually eat only untill he was full, unlike most horses, lol. I would definitely have a talk with them about gaining weight on your horse though. :)
I'm going to keep him English. Today is one of his 'good' days, he looks just like any healthy, "fat" horsie! it's summer in NZ right now so I'm giving him about half a 5L bucket full of milassed sugar beet and two big handfuls of Dunstan Coolfeed (which is a mix of different stuff and also has vitamins and chaff and molasses in it) I gave him a mineral paddock lik-it and he loves it (but doesn't eat too much of it ) because he was eating dirt, do I figured he had a vitamin deficiency. Now he's totally fine. I rode him today, too and he was great (apart from the fact that he's a lazy, big block ) . I'm looking forward to that saddle, though!


Proud owner of a Standardbred!
Dreamcatcher5 is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,772
• Horses: 1
Good weight, poor muscle tone. He just needs to work :)

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 12-18-2012, 11:24 PM
twp
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: I'm right Here!!
Posts: 337
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher5 View Post
I'm going to keep him English. Today is one of his 'good' days, he looks just like any healthy, "fat" horsie! it's summer in NZ right now so I'm giving him about half a 5L bucket full of milassed sugar beet and two big handfuls of Dunstan Coolfeed (which is a mix of different stuff and also has vitamins and chaff and molasses in it) I gave him a mineral paddock lik-it and he loves it (but doesn't eat too much of it ) because he was eating dirt, do I figured he had a vitamin deficiency. Now he's totally fine. I rode him today, too and he was great (apart from the fact that he's a lazy, big block ) . I'm looking forward to that saddle, though!

awesome. :) Yeah, my friend's horse ended up being anemic, or something like that.. He developed the disease where his nose would bleed, after running.. but he is pretty old now.. I think 17/18? He was so fast, he'd rake tears out of your eyes, lol.

Can't lie, I don't know what any of that stuff is, lol. I heard of beet pulp.. Is that the same thing as sugar beet? What is chaff?.. Oh, like a hay stretcher?.. Is it like, small hay bits?
twp is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 12-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Posts: 5,312
• Horses: 0
I keep mine a tad fatter. I prefer to see a bit more filling out on his sides.
stevenson is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenson View Post
I keep mine a tad fatter. I prefer to see a bit more filling out on his sides.
I agree, a bit more wouldn't hurt. Standies are usually easy keepers, so it shouldn't take much more.
Pictured is my standie mare
stevenson likes this.
deserthorsewoman is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 12-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Posts: 5,312
• Horses: 0
Your Standie mare is pretty. Look at her shiny coat !
EvilHorseOfDoom likes this.
stevenson is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
Thanks
She was always shiny, even in winter.
Had to rehome her when I came here. She is now a very much loved family horse.
EvilHorseOfDoom likes this.
deserthorsewoman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is He Too Skinny? SpiritJordanRivers Horse Health 22 04-13-2012 11:57 PM
I still think he is too skinny! Dusty1228 Horse Health 30 07-14-2011 09:39 PM
Very Skinny AdrienneS Horse Health 6 09-10-2010 06:25 PM
Are they looking skinny? paintluver Horse Nutrition 6 04-20-2010 07:48 PM
Update on the not so skinny "Skinny Girl" LOL Underfire05 Horse Riding Critique 27 01-01-2010 10:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome