You have GOT to be kidding!?
We ARE thinking the same thing?
None of my horses would touch them - lol
The thorns off the tree caused more than one flat tire on both tractors. Those aren't cheap to fix, when tractor = farm tractor; even if they were "just" the front tires.
My Arab got nose bleeds from trying to eat the grass around the tree.
We cut the tree down but now the miserable thing tries to grow back in the form of a bush so we bushog over it ----- AFTER we were pretty sure we'd raked up all the thorns.
Other than the rumor they make good insect repellent (didn't work in my barn), from what I've read these things have no purpose in life accept to make mine miserable and evidently keep your horse happy.
However, I Googled "are hedge apples toxic to horses" and got several credible hits.
It seems the fruit itself "probably" isn't toxic but they do a grow a mold at certain times of the year that is toxic. One article said they are toxic to ruminant animals (cows).
All articles said the biggest worry for any animal is choke.
If it were me? I'd get the chainsaw out again
Are my feelings for the lovely hedgeapple, clearly evident?
EDITED TO ADD: I know you're new to the forum but is your horse in a small area to where he is bored and eating these awful things out of boredom? If so, I'd get the chainsaw out yesterday:)