Help: Crossing Hind legs in the trot - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Help: Crossing Hind legs in the trot

This is a discussion on Help: Crossing Hind legs in the trot within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Why does my filly cross her hind legs in trot

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-01-2010, 03:52 AM
  #11
Super Moderator
Joker belongs to a friend, and I care about him and ride him probably more than his owner does. So, I offered to pay for a visit from a chiro/vet, tomorrow. I will try and video his way of going and post it. He is kind of post legged and toed in but otherwise, I think he is built well andhas a heart of gold.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-09-2012, 12:55 PM
  #12
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
Joker belongs to a friend, and I care about him and ride him probably more than his owner does. So, I offered to pay for a visit from a chiro/vet, tomorrow. I will try and video his way of going and post it. He is kind of post legged and toed in but otherwise, I think he is built well andhas a heart of gold.
Tiny....I am wondering how your guy has been doing since this post? I have been having a mysterious hind end issue with my young mare that sounds very similar. Vets, trainers and other horse people can't figure it out. No xrays. She seems to cross her hind feet at the trot under saddle. Sometimes when she is running around and downward transitions, she knuckles or brings those feet underneath her. To me, she reminds me of the scarecrow off of the Wizard of Oz. She can stand all over the place. I've even questioned her being double jointed! She has improved in the past year and it's not neurological. Had a chiro and massage therapist out too....can't figure it out. It isn't always the same either. I have even been told that she looks gaited in her hind end and it's like her front end and hind end are not coordinated together.
     
    10-09-2012, 01:00 PM
  #13
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyme    
I found this pic where you can see what I mean by his back legs, they don't cross at the walk and I don't think they cross at the canter.
Theme, wondering how your guys is doing now too?
     
    10-09-2012, 01:14 PM
  #14
Weanling
Oldhorselady- have you ruled out EPM?

We had a horse who went "funky" behind like how you described no matter how much conditioning, the vet was concerned it could be epm although it really didn't present traditionally. One round of Marquis later and all was well ;)
     
    10-09-2012, 01:36 PM
  #15
Super Moderator
OHL

That horse in my description, Joker, has moved away . So, I have had no contact from his owner about his condition. Sorry , I can't add anything to the knowledge pool here.
     
    10-09-2012, 03:09 PM
  #16
Yearling
I had a horse who had one leg that would cross under, and she'd trip herself, mostly at the canter. She took small steps at the trot. But the canter was a nightmare because it scared her--and me. She'd be going around, trip herself, and we'd fall down. She'd fall while running in the pasture, too.

I was told to work her in deep sand. I happened to have access to an arena with the deep sand, and it certainly helped.

Also, as I used her to start dressage lessons, it turned out that shoulder-in helped a lot, by bringing the other leg under, her twisty leg had to take more of an outside thrust. Anyway, she did seem to "outgrow" the falling. To be honest, though, we almost never galloped out, and when we cantered, it was in a fairly collected frame, which helped keep all the legs in place.
     
    10-09-2012, 06:54 PM
  #17
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleOnline    
Oldhorselady- have you ruled out EPM?

We had a horse who went "funky" behind like how you described no matter how much conditioning, the vet was concerned it could be epm although it really didn't present traditionally. One round of Marquis later and all was well ;)
The vet so far said nothing like that....what is Marquis? Maybe I should have another vet evaluate? The first vet evaluated her three times now. I've been told by another person who had a horse with EPM that she doesn't look like an EPM horse...but maybe a milder form? I tell myself to stop worrying about it, but I just want to make sure that I don't ask her for more than she is capable of and would like to know what her limitations are, even if she is handicapped in some way....I would just like to know if I can.
     
    10-09-2012, 06:58 PM
  #18
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beling    
I had a horse who had one leg that would cross under, and she'd trip herself, mostly at the canter. She took small steps at the trot. But the canter was a nightmare because it scared her--and me. She'd be going around, trip herself, and we'd fall down. She'd fall while running in the pasture, too.

I was told to work her in deep sand. I happened to have access to an arena with the deep sand, and it certainly helped.

Also, as I used her to start dressage lessons, it turned out that shoulder-in helped a lot, by bringing the other leg under, her twisty leg had to take more of an outside thrust. Anyway, she did seem to "outgrow" the falling. To be honest, though, we almost never galloped out, and when we cantered, it was in a fairly collected frame, which helped keep all the legs in place.
My vet keeps telling me to let her grow and develop. She has built quite a bit of muscle since last year. The wierd thing is that it is not consistent. She can hold her gait well and then suddenly she has some wierd steps or her legs forget where to go all the sudden. Sometimes it looks like her fetlocks maybe lock and cross from behind...sometimes not. When she downward transitions from trot to walk when I'm riding it seems like a very exaggerated swing of her hips or something. Her trot is very easy to sit like she is racking....??? So wierd.
     
    10-10-2012, 05:44 AM
  #19
Green Broke
Reeco often gets his legs in a knot at the canter and it panics him. It is probably just a young horse thing.
     
    11-29-2012, 11:18 PM
  #20
Started
Ok, I'm hoping that it may still be a young horse thing like it was for some of you. It seems that my mare is base narrow, at times only though? She plaits her hind legs in the trot I'm thinking. I have now started to ride her more regularly and am taking it slow with her. Here is a video of me riding her today and a video from before with her walking in the pasture. Let me know if there is something I should be doing to help her please.



     

Tags
gait help, injury prevention, legs

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Puffy hind legs...? Pro Horse Health 12 08-29-2010 01:19 AM
Hind legs CecilliaB Horse Health 7 03-31-2010 11:03 PM
9 yo Appy Gelding - Crossing Front Legs? luvmyperch Horse Riding Critique 17 11-20-2009 02:47 PM
Swelling in hind legs 3neighs Horse Health 10 06-28-2009 10:04 PM
Stiff hind legs? SonnyWimps Horse Health 6 07-02-2008 05:14 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0