Key points from an article on refeeding syndrome in the link below In The Event of Starvation or Malnutrition:
- Consult with a veterinarian and a nutritionist.
- Re-feeding syndrome usually occurs within 3 – 5 days.
- The best approach is frequent small meals of high quality alfalfa. Gradually
Increase the amount fed and decrease the frequency fed over a 10 day period.
- Feed according to the guidelines set forth by Dr. Carolyn Stull PhD.
- Closely monitor the horse for any complications that may develop during the recovery process. REFEEDING SYNDROME