Help! Idk what's going on with Red!
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Help! Idk what's going on with Red!

This is a discussion on Help! Idk what's going on with Red! within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree1Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-05-2013, 12:30 AM
      #1
    Foal
    Help! Idk what's going on with Red!

    My horse is a 7 yr old gelding he's huge and healthy we went to the ranch today to go feed him and found him walking very slowly and stumbling around a little. He's been drinking alot if water and his eating habits haven't changed. He is due to get his shoes replaced he's a bit overgrown but hasn't thrown any. His hooves are in generally good condition apart they need trimming. His mucous membranes are moist and there is no swelling of his face or joints not has he lost any weight but I went into the stall and tried to give him hay by hand just to see and he looked at me like he really didn't even want to take any steps toward me. Any thoughts?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-05-2013, 12:34 AM
      #2
    Showing
    Call the vet. That sounds far from normal and better safe than sorry.
         
        07-05-2013, 12:56 AM
      #3
    Yearling
    Laminitus? Heat/weather related?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        07-05-2013, 12:59 AM
      #4
    Green Broke
    Yes my immediate thoughts: founder or heat stroke plus if he was vaccinated recently he maybe reacting to that. Whatever it is, please get in contact with a vet asap.
         
        07-05-2013, 06:46 AM
      #5
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trinity3205    
    Laminitus? Heat/weather related?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    It is really hot but he has shade and water ?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        07-05-2013, 06:47 AM
      #6
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chevaux    
    Yes my immediate thoughts: founder or heat stroke plus if he was vaccinated recently he maybe reacting to that. Whatever it is, please get in contact with a vet asap.
    No recent vaccines
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        07-05-2013, 06:51 AM
      #7
    Super Moderator
    Please, call the vet. It is impossible to guess what could be wrong without seeing the horse, but from what you describe it could be serious and needs professional assistance.
         
        07-05-2013, 08:01 AM
      #8
    Trained
    Call the vet. Whenever your horse acts oddly enough to cause concern, run to your vet, not to us. It's better to have a vet fee than a dead horse.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Saranda likes this.
         
        07-05-2013, 09:09 AM
      #9
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nmbennett34    
    It is really hot but he has shade and water ?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Even with shade and water it is possible to have heat stroke especially if he had been moving around at some point (eg riding, etc).

    If it is difficult to get a vet out, even a phone conversation with the vet may be useful at this point (and may be free or at least considerably cheaper than having him/her physically present).

    Good luck.
         
        07-05-2013, 09:49 AM
      #10
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chevaux    
    Even with shade and water it is possible to have heat stroke especially if he had been moving around at some point (eg riding, etc).

    If it is difficult to get a vet out, even a phone conversation with the vet may be useful at this point (and may be free or at least considerably cheaper than having him/her physically present).

    Good luck.
    Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Idk where this thread goes? Horserunner Horse Talk 3 01-25-2013 02:54 PM
    TWH mixed with...? Idk, what do you think? Tianimalz Horse Breeds 5 11-11-2011 07:45 PM
    Idk? wannahorse22 Horse Nutrition 9 03-07-2010 07:47 PM
    Idk think she is Pure TB Klassic Superstar Horse Riding Critique 7 01-16-2010 08:54 PM
    Swelling??? idk what to do... katieandduke Horse Health 0 07-13-2009 08:05 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0