09-15-2011, 10:15 AM
| || |
If your mule is used to eating alfalfa hay, and this reaction is new, I would suspect that the hay had been sprayed with some sort of pesticide that your mule may be allergic to. Of course, the same could be said for the bermuda grass. Around here, there hasn't been enough rain to wash off anything that is sprayed on the hay crops - even though the sun may break the product down, there is still a residue on the hay. I've been really concerned about what is in the hay we are feeding our horses, but without expensive tests, we have no real way to know.
I'll sure be glad when this blasted drought breaks and we can grow our own hay again. At least then I'd know what was in it!