Horrid, dreadful horse owner - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 Old 11-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany- but not German =D
Posts: 5,151
• Horses: 2
If you buy it with your money, call the vet out.

If she refuses to believe, print out articles and MAKE her read- and let her know, if you catch this now it won't cost half as much as it will if it gets worse from leaving it.

Better safe than sorry, and if it isn't ulcers, then you're lucky, unfortunately you've had to fork out for it, but you're still lucky.
DuffyDuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 39 Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,846
• Horses: 1
Usually you have an entire month to pay back a vet or it acquires interest so if your mom is worried about the vet bill then you can start saving now in order to pay for it. Maybe even just say to her you want to pay for his yearly checkup (where the vet comes and tests soundness, checks teeth, feet, legs, and anything else you ask.) or even call up a few vet practices and ask for a professional opinion on why your horse could be acting as such, could it be ulcers? Etc.

You're doing the best you can, I think you are a wonderful owner!



I am curious, however. A round bale every 2 months?? How big is this bale?
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #23 of 39 Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In your closet.
Posts: 1,786
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffyDuck View Post
If you buy it with your money, call the vet out.

I told her this. I said if I buy it with my own money, I should be able to call the vet out. And she simply said "save your money for an emergency" IMO, a emergency hopefully has less chance of occurring if I get a vet check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffyDuck View Post
If she refuses to believe, print out articles and MAKE her read- and let her know, if you catch this now it won't cost half as much as it will if it gets worse from leaving it.

Better safe than sorry, and if it isn't ulcers, then you're lucky, unfortunately you've had to fork out for it, but you're still lucky.
Oh good word, I've tried. I've sent her links on facebook () I've read her articles out loud, I've explained the process, the causes, the effects, and she still says only one, or the other thing A.) Get out of here, I dont want to hear. Or, B.) How can a healthy horse with a good diet be sick? You are just a hypercondriac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
Usually you have an entire month to pay back a vet or it acquires interest so if your mom is worried about the vet bill then you can start saving now in order to pay for it. Maybe even just say to her you want to pay for his yearly checkup (where the vet comes and tests soundness, checks teeth, feet, legs, and anything else you ask.) or even call up a few vet practices and ask for a professional opinion on why your horse could be acting as such, could it be ulcers? Etc.

You're doing the best you can, I think you are a wonderful owner!



I am curious, however. A round bale every 2 months?? How big is this bale?
I don't think its really the money... I think its that she totally doesn't believe me when I say he might have stomach ulcers. She thinks I'm over exaggerating. The reason I dont think its the money is cause I will pay for it... And thank you, very much. Well, the round bales we used to get were, well, big and round I'll see if I can find a picture... But lately, we have gotten square bales, I don't know their exact size, but I think they are 8 by 3 feet. We give them half of one of the bales or prairie grass and set it our their to free feed on.



This is the size of round bale we get^^^ We only have two horses.

E v e r y horse is good for something. You dont throw a whole life away just cause he's banged up a little...
Gallop On is offline  
post #24 of 39 Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Western New York
Posts: 143
• Horses: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallop On View Post
I told her this. I said if I buy it with my own money, I should be able to call the vet out. And she simply said "save your money for an emergency" IMO, a emergency hopefully has less chance of occurring if I get a vet check!



Oh good word, I've tried. I've sent her links on facebook () I've read her articles out loud, I've explained the process, the causes, the effects, and she still says only one, or the other thing A.) Get out of here, I dont want to hear. Or, B.) How can a healthy horse with a good diet be sick? You are just a hypercondriac.

That doesn't make ANY sense. That's like saying "How can a person with a good diet and that seems to be healthy most of the time get sick?" Everyone gets sick sometimes and its the same thing with horses.

I would keep telling her everything that could go wrong. Tell her how much those horses mean to you. How would she feel if you had severe stomach ulcers and were in pain? She is your mother and she get your treated (Hopefully) You are your horses mother and you need to get your horse treated. Tell her a horse is not like a dog. Sure a dog is like family and it is a pet but they're low maintenance. Horses are family and are considered a 'pet' but they're high maintenance (Well more than a dog).

I wouldn't say go behind your mother's back and call the vet yourself and pay yourself but, if that's what you have to do then do it. Just keep persisting because sooner or later she's going to have to give in and stop being stubborn.
Amber and Mac is offline  
post #25 of 39 Old 11-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Olds, AB Canada
Posts: 2,749
• Horses: 2
I am in the same boat as you Gallop! I'm 17 and have to live buy my parents rules. Fortunantly And sometime UNfortunatly I don't have a job... You could try buying some products that help calm ulcers and see if that makes a difference.

Horses are scared of two things... Things that move and things that don't.
Ray MacDonald is offline  
post #26 of 39 Old 11-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,846
• Horses: 1
I don't know.. I wouldn't give your horse any antibiotics or medicines or whatnot until you get a proper diagnosis or it could backfire :/

I would try to just talk through what your horse is doing with trainers and vets. Ask the vet if there is a way you cost do a home test or report symptoms and get an opinion??
DuffyDuck likes this.
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #27 of 39 Old 11-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,672
• Horses: 12
Why can't horses just have a bad day? They go through emotions just like we do.
That being said, I would suggest an equine massage therapist over a vet. I, also, highly doubt ulcers.

Whispering Secret Arabians
Registered Solid and Sabino Arabians
www.wsarabians.wix.com/home
WSArabians is offline  
post #28 of 39 Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In your closet.
Posts: 1,786
• Horses: 2
You know guys, I am at an utter loss. Today, I took Rusty out, and he was a total angel. I brushed him, cleaned his hooves, everything. Then, brought out his saddle, and fixed it right, then tightened the girth, one hole at a time, with small breaks in between. He has never reacted so well. He stood as still as a pole, ears pricked forward, completely ignoring the girth being tightened. Then, when I got on him, after walking for a while I transitioned him into a trot with kissing noises alone. He transitioned perfectly! I did more walk/trot, trot/canter transitiones, and they were all seamlessly perfect. He didnt give me one "piss off" look. After some warm ups, we started some higher jumps, I must admit, he did the best jumping he has ever done today...

I know that the only way to solve my big question is a vet check... One day good, the next 5 days bad? I think I am going to find a way to call a vet, and ask her what she thinks it sounds like. If she says it souds like a health issue, I will tell my mom, and a vet will come out. Regardless of opposition.

E v e r y horse is good for something. You dont throw a whole life away just cause he's banged up a little...
Gallop On is offline  
post #29 of 39 Old 11-30-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In your closet.
Posts: 1,786
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber and Mac View Post
That doesn't make ANY sense. That's like saying "How can a person with a good diet and that seems to be healthy most of the time get sick?" Everyone gets sick sometimes and its the same thing with horses.

I would keep telling her everything that could go wrong. Tell her how much those horses mean to you. How would she feel if you had severe stomach ulcers and were in pain? She is your mother and she get your treated (Hopefully) You are your horses mother and you need to get your horse treated. Tell her a horse is not like a dog. Sure a dog is like family and it is a pet but they're low maintenance. Horses are family and are considered a 'pet' but they're high maintenance (Well more than a dog).

I wouldn't say go behind your mother's back and call the vet yourself and pay yourself but, if that's what you have to do then do it. Just keep persisting because sooner or later she's going to have to give in and stop being stubborn.
Sadly, that woman is the most stubborn person I've ever met. Horses, to me, are considered a friend. Not really a pet, but someone to look eye to eye with. She won't understand when I explain this, she is scared to death of horses, won't even touch mine, and won't watch me ride. Everything I do with him, whether it be picking his hooves or leading him, she always finds a way I could kill mysely... Ugh. She admits that to her, horses are only money pits. So telling her he needs a vet check, is useless. Talking to a brick wall would be more beneficial...

E v e r y horse is good for something. You dont throw a whole life away just cause he's banged up a little...
Gallop On is offline  
post #30 of 39 Old 12-01-2011, 04:56 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany- but not German =D
Posts: 5,151
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSArabians View Post
Why can't horses just have a bad day? They go through emotions just like we do.
That being said, I would suggest an equine massage therapist over a vet. I, also, highly doubt ulcers.

Horses can have bad days, I agree, but the OP has noted this is over a period of time. Ulcers are one suggestion as I mentioned, still trying to find the thread but there are similarities between this case and another I know.

It may be a popped rib, or grumpiness.

But bad days are bad days, not weeks.
DuffyDuck is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
horrid weekend Kirsti Arndt Horse Talk 4 08-26-2008 11:31 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome