Horse ate spoilt grain - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-23-2013, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia - Adelaide
Posts: 13
• Horses: 3
Horse ate spoilt grain


I'm pretty sure my TB (Ezreal) just ate some spoilt grain out of a compost bin bordering the fence. The resourceful boy removed the heavy rock and plank of wood on top of the lid. It would have been a large ice cream container of chaff-biscuits (which are about the size of wheeties) and probably 500g lupins and 300g micronised barley - and it smelled like curdled milk or vomit when I chucked it out and had been spoiling for about 1/2 a week (it got rained on in a the feed bucket in a now empty paddock). What should I do? and what should I be looking for? Any idea in what kind of time-frame symptoms might show? No signs of colic or much of anything thus far.

To make matters worse he is tearing around at the moment because we recently had to put his paddock mate down (story below), he' got some sheep buddies but they are not the same and he is anxious.

TBH I'm having a bad few weeks, last Monday I had to make the decision to put to sleep Qwerty after he had a fit (vet said could have been a stroke or a seizure - it was awful to watch ) that was (in the vets opinion) most likely related to his long-term back and coordination difficulties. The spoilt food was Qwerty's I had just fed him when the fit happened :( and then, the next day I received a call that a lady had found my cat who had gone missing and he was very sick and I also had to put him down

Two unexpected deaths in two days and now I'm freaked out about Ezreal to!

~sad and worried

<.<**insert witty signature here** >.>
Artemisynn is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 09-23-2013, 06:14 AM
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,231
• Horses: 7
Bless your heart what a rough week. I will say watch for signs of colic. Since it was feed he was used to even though spoiled founder is probably not in the cards. I would imagine that 24 hours would be the watch window. They are not supposed to eat that kind of stuff but it does happen sometimes, clever things that they are. Make sure he has lots of clean water available and what ever type of forage of he gets, that will help keep things moving and keep something in his gut to digest and push the stuff he ate through.

I know how you feel two of mine got into some chicken feed loaded with corn the other day and I was worried watching them for sign of colic or founder but they came out alright.

Good luck to you, I sure hope things improve for you.
gssw5 is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 09-24-2013, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia - Adelaide
Posts: 13
• Horses: 3
Thank you. No signs of anything sinister today :)

The only thing I did notice was that a good trickles of water and about 1 TBS of his hay (with a little mucous) came out his nose when he came up for a drink - I haven't noticed this before, but nor have I really watched him drink all that closely before. A quick google suggests it could be from a past throat surgery commonly done on OTTB. Unfortunately all I know of his history is that he was "Retired because he got a kick in the throat"- guess I'll keep an eye on it and probably give the vet a call to see if he thinks it is a problem.

Fingers crossed the danger-zone has passed!!

<.<**insert witty signature here** >.>
Artemisynn is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 09-24-2013, 02:44 AM
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 323
• Horses: 2
*Hugs* for your bad week!!! Losing one beloved baby is bad enough, I'm so sorry for your loss.
I'd just keep a close eye on him. My gelding got into the feed bin once and ended up foundering (he's VERY prone to it) but it could have been worse.

Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground. ~Author Unknown
Janasse is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 09-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 289
• Horses: 0
I'm so sorry! Been there and I understand its very tough :( I agree I would just watch for signs of colic or founder but sounds like you may be in good shape! A friend of mine's horse was clever like that and he was ok. But then another time he was out too long in pasture, got ahold of some clover and ended up colicing. It was pretty quick after though.
Phura is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 289
• Horses: 0
Originally Posted by Janasse View Post
*Hugs* for your bad week!!! Losing one beloved baby is bad enough, I'm so sorry for your loss.
I'd just keep a close eye on him. My gelding got into the feed bin once and ended up foundering (he's VERY prone to it) but it could have been worse.
Does your horse suffer from EMS or cushings? I was just curious as I read that 90% of those cases are in result of one or the other. My horse has at least 1 or both of them and we are trying to work through it. (Though if its cushings she's in the early stages as she doesn't have the hair only the other symptoms that can be symptoms of either.) Not trying to raise any concerns, I was just wondering if that was the case, what your experience has been with it.
Phura is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horse ate cattle feed kb92 Horse Health 17 06-04-2012 08:43 AM
HELP, my horse ate a birdseed Missy May Horse Health 15 03-30-2012 10:33 PM
Weird things your horse(s) ate? Royal Pine Buck Horse Talk 37 01-28-2012 09:51 AM
advice on pushy/spoilt mule foal? heehaw Horse Training 3 12-19-2011 02:31 PM
My horse ate a feather today... alexischristina Horse Health 5 11-14-2009 12:09 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome