my rescues had these, very poor conditioned homes, A friend told me their like hives or allergies in humans. With a new diet and better environment they should clear up. Remove manure, create clean spaces for them to eat. Get good hay and check any supplaments or grains that maybe he is allergic to. Avoid greesy creams and I would use something plant based to coat the ear if you have to. Remember ear fur is meant to be nice and fluffy not coated with mineral oil (vasaline) I'm going to get a brush and scrub his one ear out because it is nearly 100% covered, even though it doesn't seem to bother him. I could also use a blunt obeject like a spoon and take one good scrape to get some of that out. It is pretty thick in there. I also have this spray that is natural for lice, scabes, or any random skin reaction. Basically smells like raw vinegar and has enzymes in it. That cleared up a system skin reaction on myself that nothing would touch.