Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Dakota, USA
Heaves is like asthma and allergies. Mainly it is caused by mold breathed in from eating round bales. Once a horse gets heaves, they have it for life. There is no cure. It can be managed by controlling dust and with medication. Horses that eat from a round bale tend to bury their head into it while they eat. They then breathe in dust and mold spores which cause heaves or aggravate it. There is a shot you can get from a vet to help control it. It's a steroid shot but not a huge dose of it.
You need to limit exposure to dust by not feeding round bales, you can wet the hay down, and try to limit exposure to dust from dirt roads and harvest time.
Posted via Mobile Device