Horse Slow Fur Growth, Dry Skin, Hard Keeper
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Horse Slow Fur Growth, Dry Skin, Hard Keeper

This is a discussion on Horse Slow Fur Growth, Dry Skin, Hard Keeper within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Any difference in omega horseshine and dumor
  • Slow hair growth foal

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-22-2013, 02:21 PM
  #1
Foal
Horse Slow Fur Growth, Dry Skin, Hard Keeper

When I got my mare in January, she came with closely shaved legs (unsure why!).

It's now April and she has barely grown, if any, fur back.

She also has had dry flaky skin and seems very sensitive to grooming.

Any ideas?

She's a retired STB. Granted I know she was clipped and constantly blanketed before I got her. I did end up having to blanket her this winter because she did not grow a decent enough winter coat and she got adjusted to not being in a stall 23 hrs a day. She also lost a lot of weight which we're slowly building her back up with beet pulp, Cocosoya, and grain plus unlimited hay. Very dull coat.

When she gets scuffs, it takes forever for her fur to regrow.
Both of these photos are from today.



     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-22-2013, 02:25 PM
  #2
Green Broke
When was she last fully vetted - including bloodwork? There may be underlying conditions at play that are showing through symptomatically in the issues you are seeing. If that is the case, all the nutritional changes in the world won't make much of a difference until those causes are addressed.
     
    04-22-2013, 02:44 PM
  #3
Started
Did you just get her this January, or last? If it's only been three months of good solid nutrition, I might just keep it up until spring and see how she sheds out assuming you've got her on a high powered diet to feed her up. If it was last January, I'd be getting some bloodwork done to make sure there aren't any underlying issues like deficiencies or overages (copper, selenium, Vit E, etc). Even if it's just been three months, the bloodwork wouldn't be a bad plan depending on how concerned you are, but sometimes they don't really grow much coat until they start shedding because of the cyclical nature of hair growth.
     
    04-22-2013, 02:45 PM
  #4
Trained
If she just retired they could have clipped her legs for topical treatment, like a blister or such, which would/ could explain the flaky skin and sensitivity. If this is the case, she might not ever grow fur there anymore, unfortunately.
For general skin-and coat health flaxseed or( even better IMO) Omega Horseshine will help. 1 cup a day.
ETA: I also would check her for ulcers, like, yesterday
     
    04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
  #5
Teen Forum Moderator
Thats interesting, I've never heard of clipping legs like that.

OP, your mare's coat looks a lot like our foster filly's coat did/still sort of does. Along with grain and unlimited hay, I was suggested to feed DuMor UltraShine (sort of a knockoff of what Deserthorse suggested) to her. I started adding it...3 weeks ago I think? And I'm already noticing a difference as she sheds out. Her coat is in no way beautiful but it went from feeling dirty, dry, and dead even after a bath, to being soft and starting to show a bit of shine even though she is still underweight. I'm pretty impressed with it personally, and it great mix of essential vitamins and minerals as well as rice bran and flax seed in it. Apparently it tastes good too because she'll eat it by itself or sprinkled in her alfalfa pellets!

Don't forget that you might not see immediate change though. Skin health comes before coat health, and in cases of underweight horses, or those who have been lacking in nutrition for a while, internal health comes even before that!
     
    04-22-2013, 03:13 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by themacpack    
When was she last fully vetted - including bloodwork?
She hasn't been yet. The multiple combined symptoms have only become apparent in about the last month so my first thought was supplementing feed. I usually have the vet out in the spring so I'll be having him look at her shortly :) Initially her legs were just shaved and I figured it'd grow out. Now that there's a combination of factors, I'll definitely get her looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie    
Did you just get her this January, or last? If it's only been three months of good solid nutrition, I might just keep it up until spring and see how she sheds out assuming you've got her on a high powered diet to feed her up. If it was last January, I'd be getting some bloodwork done to make sure there aren't any underlying issues like deficiencies or overages (copper, selenium, Vit E, etc). Even if it's just been three months, the bloodwork wouldn't be a bad plan depending on how concerned you are, but sometimes they don't really grow much coat until they start shedding because of the cyclical nature of hair growth.
I got her just this January so three months. Thanks for the suggestion on the bloodwork! Some of her new fur coming in does seem to have a bit of a shine to it, I think time will also tell for her new food regime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
If she just retired they could have clipped her legs for topical treatment, like a blister or such, which would/ could explain the flaky skin and sensitivity. If this is the case, she might not ever grow fur there anymore, unfortunately.
For general skin-and coat health flaxseed or( even better IMO) Omega Horseshine will help. 1 cup a day.
ETA: I also would check her for ulcers, like, yesterday
She's been treated for ulcers - she had been showing signs of them and we got rid of them quickly. Good to know about a potential blister treatment! It was already kind of scaly and sensitive when she arrived and it does seem like it was topically treated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
Thats interesting, I've never heard of clipping legs like that.

OP, your mare's coat looks a lot like our foster filly's coat did/still sort of does. Along with grain and unlimited hay, I was suggested to feed DuMor UltraShine (sort of a knockoff of what Deserthorse suggested) to her.
I will look into that!
     
    04-22-2013, 03:23 PM
  #7
Trained
To the Omega Horseshine vs Dumor Ultrashine: I tried them both, compared ingredients, vit/mins, mainly because it's quite a price difference, but found the Omega Horseshine better. Can't explain why, because they're almost the same.
     
    04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
To the Omega Horseshine vs Dumor Ultrashine: I tried them both, compared ingredients, vit/mins, mainly because it's quite a price difference, but found the Omega Horseshine better. Can't explain why, because they're almost the same.
I was hearing good things about Omega when I was doing research online last week. Out of immediacy, I found the cocosoya in my area to try but that is going to be next to try for her.
     
    04-22-2013, 03:38 PM
  #9
Teen Forum Moderator
Definitely try the Omega first. It was more expensive and I wasn't able to find it locally, personally, so I went with the UltraShine- but if you can find it, go for that one!
     
    04-22-2013, 05:02 PM
  #10
Trained

This^^ is what Omega Horseshine did.
Before pic next post...technical difficulties...
     

Tags
dry, fur

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy keeper became hard keeper itsjustme Horse Health 7 02-21-2013 08:13 PM
Horse Pulling fur out to bare skinning and itching at skin barrelracer814 Horse Health 3 03-26-2012 01:44 PM
Fur Growth OctoberArabian Horse Grooming 3 02-19-2012 08:20 AM
Easy Keeper and Hard Keeper together 2SCHorses Horse Nutrition 16 06-22-2011 02:02 AM
New horse....hard keeper. monicadunlap Horse Nutrition 3 04-13-2011 03:12 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0