Horse went down today...so scary - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Horse went down today...so scary

This is a discussion on Horse went down today...so scary within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Do old horses just die from heart attacks
  • Horse went down died

Like Tree35Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-19-2012, 03:55 PM
  #21
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgi    
If you will go back and read the whole thread you will notice two things:

1. He has tripped over his own feet for the past 20 years. Vet has checked him out several times and ruled out everything except clumsiness.

2. We do not own him, he is owned by the BO and they will have him checked by a vet ASAP, even though I did not come right out and say that, I didn't think I needed to. I did say the BO was doing everything they needed to do to make sure he was ok. They will be calling the vet in the morning because he was walking, eating, grazing, urinating, and pooping normally within a few minutes and hours of the incident. But yes, he will get a complete work up from the vet this week.
I don't think walkenthewalk ment to be harsh though it did come over that way a little. I am the same weight as your husband but a little shorter that is why I asked his weight and size of the horse and also mentioned Patches and her age.

Heart attack. Well most animals including the one writing this die of something. Natural causes is often quoted as the cause but what is natural causes. How about this for a starter the heart stops while one is asleep.

Horses as all animals do have heart attacks I disagree with the other poster when she said few horses have heart attacks. The heart is a muscle that is subject to strain just like any other with a difference. It does not get to rest when hurt. Horses because of the kind of work we, yes we, put them through do colapse and die from heart attacks and the older one is the closer they are getting to maybe a heart problem, just like us. But like us keeping them fit and in work can and does enhance the quality of life.

Getting up after a heart attack is normal and the pain caused by the attack will cause the animal to moan as will the attention it was recieving, is the horse a talker. My wifes horse Kate is always talking and is quite the entertainer when on treks.

Back to the heart. If it does not kill then returning to activity and eating the same day is normal, but dependant on the severity and damage done. The chance of it happening again in a short space of time, 6 weeks or so is the danger time for all animals. Remember, unlike other musels the heart can not be placed in a splint or immobilised so until it is certian caution is required for your husbands safety and I am sure he will take care of the horse even though it is not your own. Corgi for your husbands safety walk the horse for a few weeks to be on the safe side that is unless a vet has pronounced it fit.

Cheers
Stan
corgi and jaydee like this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-19-2012, 04:07 PM
  #22
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan    

Getting up after a heart attack is normal and the pain caused by the attack will cause the animal to moan as will the attention it was recieving, is the horse a talker. My wifes horse Kate is always talking and is quite the entertainer when on treks.

Stan
Now that you mention it Stan, Scuffy IS a talker. We call it his 'singing" and he does it while out on the trails, when he being loved on, and when he is being groomed. It is basically a moan. I just assumed that he was moaning in pain while on the ground but it is the exact same noise he makes (and has been making for over 20 years) at various times throughout his day.

I will make sure the owner mentions that to the vet.

Hubby definitely isn't riding until we get the okay.
Stan likes this.
     
    08-19-2012, 04:56 PM
  #23
Green Broke
Horses do not get coronary artery disease or plaque build up which causes heart attacks or muscle death. They do however get other things, as stated in the article, which can cause heart problems.

Aortic rupture is the most common cause of 'heart' related death.
     
    08-19-2012, 05:17 PM
  #24
Green Broke
As a sidenote - while it is true that "many" horses go on being active riding horses well past the age that this horse is currently, that is immaterial to the fact that THIS horse is showing problems. The issue may or may not even have anything to do with the horse's age.
How much was put into the diagnosis of "a little clumsy" - was that the determination after exhaustive testing, evaluation, etc or just the brush off answer of the vet or owner who doesn't want to mess with all that pesky stuff? I am not saying that there are not horses out there to which this *condition* could apply, but it is important to realize that many times there are underlying issues at play - some are actually relatively easily addressed, others not so much. It could be physical, it could be something that could be managed with different farrier care, it could be a lot of things - but I would say that this most recent incident indicates that whatever it may be, it is serious and needs to be taken as such.
walkinthewalk likes this.
     
    08-19-2012, 09:00 PM
  #25
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by natisha    
Horses do not get coronary artery disease or plaque build up which causes heart attacks or muscle death. They do however get other things, as stated in the article, which can cause heart problems.

Aortic rupture is the most common cause of 'heart' related death.
Artery disease or plaque build up is not the only cause of heart attack.

Plain old over work to excess can have the same effect. Prolonged exertion has the effect of causing stress in heart muscle which is now being identified in athletes by blood test for enzyme found only after the heart has been through truma.

It is not unreasonable to make a connection between all living animals and the common denominator a heart. To rule out a heart problem because the animal eats grass therefore does not suffer from plaque build up in the arteries is to me a little on the nieve side and demonstrates a closed mind. A heart has two chambers one for new blood to go around the body and one for old to the lungs, it does not take much to understand that but the common factor is a reciptical that allows the heart to beat as one, it is an electrical impulse. If this impulse slows to much the heart can stop or a clot can form. If it races it can also stop. Nothing to do with the arteries but the organs ability to stand the stress being placed upon it. Again if it was my horse I would be considering all options as I am sure those concerned are.

Take the horses hooves thay also act with a pumping action as the foot hits the ground it spreads and pumps blood. Ever wondered what a shoe does. It stops the hoof from spreading and therefore pumping blood. Something else to think about.
     
    08-19-2012, 09:32 PM
  #26
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan    
Artery disease or plaque build up is not the only cause of heart attack.

Plain old over work to excess can have the same effect. Prolonged exertion has the effect of causing stress in heart muscle which is now being identified in athletes by blood test for enzyme found only after the heart has been through truma.

It is not unreasonable to make a connection between all living animals and the common denominator a heart. To rule out a heart problem because the animal eats grass therefore does not suffer from plaque build up in the arteries is to me a little on the nieve side and demonstrates a closed mind. A heart has two chambers one for new blood to go around the body and one for old to the lungs, it does not take much to understand that but the common factor is a reciptical that allows the heart to beat as one, it is an electrical impulse. If this impulse slows to much the heart can stop or a clot can form. If it races it can also stop. Nothing to do with the arteries but the organs ability to stand the stress being placed upon it. Again if it was my horse I would be considering all options as I am sure those concerned are.

Take the horses hooves thay also act with a pumping action as the foot hits the ground it spreads and pumps blood. Ever wondered what a shoe does. It stops the hoof from spreading and therefore pumping blood. Something else to think about.
Yes, horses can have arrhythmias which can cause heart failure, along with other things as I stated.
Unless the horse has telemetry monitoring or someone listened with a stethescope during an episode or ran cardiac enzyme series afterwards or did an EKG or the horse showed signs & symptoms of congestive heart failure or has a bad murmur there is no way to tell for sure what happened that day.
You may think I am stupid but I know that a horse's heart has 4 chambers & that naive is not spelt nieve.
themacpack, Stan and FaydesMom like this.
     
    08-19-2012, 11:51 PM
  #27
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by natisha    
Yes, horses can have arrhythmias which can cause heart failure, along with other things as I stated.
Unless the horse has telemetry monitoring or someone listened with a stethescope during an episode or ran cardiac enzyme series afterwards or did an EKG or the horse showed signs & symptoms of congestive heart failure or has a bad murmur there is no way to tell for sure what happened that day.
You may think I am stupid but I know that a horse's heart has 4 chambers & that naive is not spelt nieve.
Natisha I do not think you are stupid, but your origional responce did give me the impression of a closed mind to all of the posibilities. 4 or 2 chambers it all works and breaks the same, also the conversation was in a wide text but some times that is not seen. Could be lack of life experience.

I make spelling mistakes. Thankyou for bringing it to my attention, but it is something I have had to deal with. I frequently come across those that bring it to my attention and forgive them for their lack of understanding but the afflection is called (dyslexia) Collins dictionary, a developmental disorder that causes learning difficulty with reading, writing, and numeracy. Spelling is my downfall, but during the course of my working week I have people that check my reports for the numerous spelling mistakes I make, and will continue to make.

Cheers Natisha

Stan
     
    08-21-2012, 11:18 AM
  #28
Super Moderator
horse down

Corgi I picked up this from the mature people thread - I have had one experience and sorry it did not end well
My hubbie had an OTTB that we rescued at a sale by outbidding a meat man. He over came a lot of issues to be our much loved and quite successful jumping horse. At a show one evening he suddenly stopped between fences and started shaking, hubbie took him out of the ring and we had him checked over by our vet - nothing came up. A few months later the same thing happened on a hack (trail ride), he was led home, checked again & nothing. He was never jumped again but seemed happy & healthy and full of life. Hubbie was working him one morning before he went to the office and came around on the ground where he must a have been unconcious for a short while, the horse had obviously been 'down' but had got up and was walking around. Another vet check revealed nothing but a few months later after a week of very light work he became visibly unwell, he was never ridden again but collapsed a few times in the field, our vet came out immediately on the last occasion and was able to detect a serious heart irregularity, his condition worsened very quickly and we decided it was time to let him go, my husband at his side. The autopsy revealed a tumour close to his heart that had been growing slowly and had been moving enough at times to affect the blood flow, eventually having a permanent effect
I would like to think that your hubbies horse just had a minor hiccup as they sometimes do but I would still have him thoroughly checked out for his & your husbands safety. He could still have a long happy retirement
Stan likes this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scary Ride Today girllovesdressage Horse Training 14 03-21-2012 07:05 AM
SCARY, SCARY moments at horse shows JumpersRule Horse Shows 20 04-23-2011 08:22 AM
VERY Scary Moment Today Phantomcolt18 Horse Videos 26 03-14-2011 02:21 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0