So I think Phantom is looking so much better. He has so much energy now. Before he had no energy and would drag his feet anf now all I do is get in the saddle and off he goes at a trot. He has so much energy that he took off with me and ran full out for almost a half a mile! (the race track at my barn is a half mile and he went 3/4 of the way around it.)Something he would never do if I hadn't of moved him. I could not stop him he was hell bent to run haha. It's like over the winter I have aquired a totally different horse. (BTW I rode him during winter frequently when I could so it wasn't pent up energy.) He's always running around the field freely now every time I look he's playing with the 6 yr old out in the field with him they take turns chasing each other.
Ok sorry for rambling Im just so happy he has so much energy.
Ok so what he was eating then.....1 scoop of low carb pellets twice a day with 4 laps of hay a day. What he's getting now 1 scoop triple crown complete, 1/2 scoop mane menu sweet and a scoop of purina senior TWICE a day and he's loving it! Also he get's free choice hay and when the pasture grows (which is basically grass hay) he'll have pasture during the day and a few laps of hay at night.And we slowly increased to all this feed over the span of probably a month and a half.
What I have noticed:
- His chest doesn't sag(extra skin where muscle should be)
- He has a belly!!
- His back doesn't dip as much
- His tail bone is almost completely covered
- His thighs are starting to rub together again!
- his neck is thicker(though you can't tell in the vid cause I couldn't get his head up)
- His energy level is WAAAY up.
Keep in mind:
- his winter coat is almost completely gone in the video
- I know his hips are still sticking out a bit but I need to start making him work off his back end more to bring them up a bit more.
- He's old (about 25yrs) so I know his sway back will probably never go fully away but that's why my new saddle caters to his needs and he has a very nice orthipedic pad now that he LOVES.
- We had the vet out a few days ago just to make sure he's coming along okay, vet said he's doing great and to keep doing what we're doing and to make sure he's not gaining too fast because of his age if he gains too fast it could cause problems (and since I had a colic scare(turned out to be gas but still) with him back in september/october I'm being extra uber careful)
Okay so here we go
I'll be getting a few good confo shots on friday so you can see a bit better since my vid I now realized is not exactly the best.