How quickly does colic and or founder usually happen?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

How quickly does colic and or founder usually happen?

This is a discussion on How quickly does colic and or founder usually happen? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Does my mini have colic
  • Mini horse weanling colic

Like Tree3Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-20-2012, 02:53 AM
  #1
Weanling
How quickly does colic and or founder usually happen?

So I got home today and as I drove past our top paddock I saw a lovely sight - my gelding and mini grazing peacefully next to each other. Nice, except that I have been keeping my mini in a taped off area in that paddock with hardly any grass! She was out in the long grass and I have no idea how long she had been in there. Straight away I moved her to the yard and checked for any injuries as he has been known to kick at her which is why I keep her separate and on no grass because she is quite fat! She has been charging around happily since then with no apparent lameness, should I be thinking that if anything was going to happen it would have happened by now? I'm sure she got to work pretty quickly and devoured A LOT of grass. I went down and checked the energizer - the batteries had gone flat Now I know why I should have spent an extra $150 and brought another solar powered one!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-20-2012, 06:21 PM
  #2
Weanling
A friend of mine down the road said that her little mini, if he gets too much grass, she can tell within hours or by morning that he is going to founder. I would hazard to think that it depends on the animal. How is his pulse's in his hooves? Do you feel any warmth at all?

I was VERY lucky last year when my draft mare got into the harness shed and ate 25lbs of chicken crumbles while my husband was asleep. He had forgotten to lock the door and thank god he knows the signs of colic as when he went out to feed in the morning, I was away and out of state, he immediately started to walk her and called our vet. Long story short after a 5 and a half day stay at one of our more state of the art, 24hr vet hospitals, she pulled through and I missed founder on her by hairs!

But, for about 4 weeks, I would go out and check her hooves often, feel them, look her over, watch her walk, etc. People must of thought I was nuts.
     
    04-20-2012, 10:46 PM
  #3
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi79    
So I got home today and as I drove past our top paddock I saw a lovely sight - my gelding and mini grazing peacefully next to each other. Nice, except that I have been keeping my mini in a taped off area in that paddock with hardly any grass! She was out in the long grass and I have no idea how long she had been in there. Straight away I moved her to the yard and checked for any injuries as he has been known to kick at her which is why I keep her separate and on no grass because she is quite fat! She has been charging around happily since then with no apparent lameness, should I be thinking that if anything was going to happen it would have happened by now? I'm sure she got to work pretty quickly and devoured A LOT of grass. I went down and checked the energizer - the batteries had gone flat Now I know why I should have spent an extra $150 and brought another solar powered one!
I think I would get some antihistamine from the vet and leave her on it for two or, three shots.
     
    04-20-2012, 10:50 PM
  #4
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper    
I think I would get some antihistamine from the vet and leave her on it for two or, three shots.
What?????
     
    04-20-2012, 10:53 PM
  #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans    
What?????
I think it is called anti-hist.

Not sure....it has been a while.
     
    04-20-2012, 10:53 PM
  #6
Green Broke
^^^^^^^ was thinking whatttttttttttt also.
     
    04-20-2012, 10:54 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper    
I think it is called anti-hist.

Not sure....it has been a while.
Ok, I have used anti hist for allergies but please help me understand how this works for colic or founder??
     
    04-20-2012, 10:56 PM
  #8
Banned
AntiHist

This if it but, I think for founder it was given in shots.

The vet would know.
     
    04-20-2012, 10:58 PM
  #9
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper    
AntiHist

This if it but, I think for founder it was given in shots.

The vet would know.
WOW! This will be something I have to research! Hope I never have the problem but its nice to know. Thank you.
Ripper likes this.
     
    04-20-2012, 11:00 PM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2many    
Ok, I have used anti hist for allergies but please help me understand how this works for colic or founder??
Don't know how.

I know it works.

I remember reading a label from the box. (for the shots)

It said it was for "rotten food overload".

A neighbour had a gelding get out and eat over 50 pounds of sweet feed.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have to move quickly... DuffyDuck Horse Conformation Critique 8 04-20-2012 02:56 PM
Cushing's+founder+colic?? Tymer Horse Health 8 06-02-2011 03:59 PM
Want to buy: Need pretty quickly :) CowGirlUp9448 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 5 02-03-2010 12:49 AM
How long does it take a horse to colic? Founder? starlinestables Horse Health 8 12-28-2008 06:09 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0