01-15-2009, 10:40 AM
| || | How to stop accidental shocks from tank heater?
We have had trouble with shorts in the various tank heaters we've used. We only know there's a short when we either see one of the horses go to drink and get shocked, or we notice that they're not drinking. We'll see them standing around the tank, eating snow and looking at the water longingly. By that point they've been shocked, we just didn't see it happen. We've tried the floating kind and the kind that sits on the bottom. Is there any way to wire it so that it somehow shuts off when there is a short or something causing the water to be electrified, so that the poor horses don't get shocked? We would notice the water freezing and know we had a short somewhere without the horses having to suffer.