How thick is the tip of the frog? Can a one inch nail hit the tendon? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

How thick is the tip of the frog? Can a one inch nail hit the tendon?

This is a discussion on How thick is the tip of the frog? Can a one inch nail hit the tendon? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Horse penetrating nail 1 inch
  • Nail hit horse coffin bone

Like Tree4Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-25-2011, 11:13 PM
  #11
Yearling
I was going to post the same thing. Why are we even talking about tendons? The best I remember, the deep flexor tendon runs under the navicular bone and attaches to the bottom of the coffin bone but maybe it runs farther forward than I think. Different breeds and conformations differ too I suppose. Maybe I didn't read into it enough and missed something. Or somebody that's better at anatomy can correct me

I hope you don't have a fractured coffin bone on your hands
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-26-2011, 08:04 AM
  #12
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfocus2011    
as the vet says xrays are useless now, but I hadnt seen the nail before. :(
With all due respect, the vet is nuts and I would stand square in his face and tell him that.

I should add that when we hauled our mare to the specialty vet with the surgery room and X-ray room, the ORIGINAL vet was stumped as to why she kept coming back lame as soon as the antibiotics were out of her system. He just shrugged his shoulders.

Please either force that vet to X-ray the coffin bone for "traveling infection" or find a vet that will.

If there's no infection, at least you will know but, for my part, that horse isn't lame since a nail puncture for nothing.

Some THING is going on inside that hoof, even if it's working on an abscess which, again, X-rays

That smiley face is there so you don't think I'm yelling at you but boy, I am pretty P.O.'d that a vet would say X-rays "are useless". My very curt, cold-stare-him-down reply would have been "so humor me, it's my checkbook."
     
    10-26-2011, 04:02 PM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk    
With all due respect, the vet is nuts and I would stand square in his face and tell him that.

I should add that when we hauled our mare to the specialty vet with the surgery room and X-ray room, the ORIGINAL vet was stumped as to why she kept coming back lame as soon as the antibiotics were out of her system. He just shrugged his shoulders.

Please either force that vet to X-ray the coffin bone for "traveling infection" or find a vet that will.

If there's no infection, at least you will know but, for my part, that horse isn't lame since a nail puncture for nothing.

Some THING is going on inside that hoof, even if it's working on an abscess which, again, X-rays

That smiley face is there so you don't think I'm yelling at you but boy, I am pretty P.O.'d that a vet would say X-rays "are useless". My very curt, cold-stare-him-down reply would have been "so humor me, it's my checkbook."
No offence taken...Just to say an xray cannot see an infection nor can it see penetration to the coffin as the nail did not make it to the coffin bone and if it hit the tendon then it can't be seen cause its not metal. He gave me tranquilier today 1cc lasts 3 hours and he seems to not be lame as he walks more outside...just can't let him run. I'm not allergic to advice so feel free on any of my posts! :) thanks!
     
    10-26-2011, 04:07 PM
  #14
Banned
Depending on the resolution and quality of the X-ray equipment, and the location and depth of the track, I can see where it could potentially not show up. I'm assuming this is not a digital X-ray, correct?
     
    10-26-2011, 05:23 PM
  #15
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfocus2011    
<snip> as the nail did not make it to the coffin bone and if it hit the tendon <snip>
Repeat: What tendon? There isn't one there! Who is telling you there is possible tendon damage?
     
    10-26-2011, 05:45 PM
  #16
Yearling
When my horse stepped on a nail (1 inch, like yours) she was lame and walking on 3 feet also. I called the vet, and she told me to pull the nail and then poultice the foot, changing it at least once a day. Then she said to monitor it, and look for abscesses and infection. I didn't even need an antibiotic, I caught it early and kept it clean. Also, my vet told me NOT to stall her, as walking stimulates blood flow, which will help heal the foot.

Honestly I can't believe your vet gave you the advice he did. 4 days without a bandage change? Hmmm
     
    10-26-2011, 11:07 PM
  #17
Banned
And I can't believe your vet told you to pull the nail! Ever vet I've ever talked to, and everything I've ever read, they always say to leave the nail in place, if at all possible, until a radiograph has been taken and the damage has been assessed.
     
    10-27-2011, 12:08 AM
  #18
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba13    
And I can't believe your vet told you to pull the nail! Ever vet I've ever talked to, and everything I've ever read, they always say to leave the nail in place, if at all possible, until a radiograph has been taken and the damage has been assessed.
Probably depends where it is as to safety of taking it out vs leaving in as well as whether there's a point in xrays. Ultrasound on the other hand would be a good idea IMO.

The flexor tendon inserts back from the very apex of the frog, but it's not far back - I think it's around the same area as the point of articulation, so I was assuming she was meaning the nail wasn't quite at the very tip.

To OP, so there was no wound? The vet just cut away the frog to ensure that was the case? Were the antibiotics just a precaution then? If that's all the case, then abscessing from a bad bruise is probably all that's likely, but I'd want to be sure of that before disregarding other possibilities. If there was no wound, yeah, changing the pad every 4 days if it's not wet/thrushy was likely adequate. Obviously lots of speculation here...

To the person who's horse also stepped on a nail & the vet didn't even come out, suggest antibiotics or anything much, I'd want better care than that from my vet, because this is potentially a very dangerous injury.
     
    10-27-2011, 12:14 AM
  #19
Banned


Ha! If you google "DDFT attachment point," four photos of my poor cripply mare are high up on the search results. That's pretty depressing, actually.





     
    10-29-2011, 09:53 AM
  #20
Trained
Wonderful photos Bubba. I was trying to find something like that. Although that second one from the bottom is pretty scarey.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nail size to use nyg052003 Barn Maintenance 0 02-24-2011 07:43 PM
Nail in hoof. Deerly Hoof Care 7 05-24-2010 01:08 AM
Nail in Hoof :( Krystle F Hoof Care 3 01-17-2010 09:56 PM
Nail in Hoof HrsGrl323 Hoof Care 10 10-07-2008 09:50 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0