HYPP question - The Horse Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-12-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Eastern Shore of MD.
Posts: 1,320
• Horses: 8
HYPP question

My friend is considering buying a QH gelding that has Impressive in his bloodline.

What are the chances of this gelding having HYPP? Should she have a vet test before she buys?

Thanks

(sorry I don't know much about HYPP and I know there are a few members here who do... so I appreciate the advice/help)


Cocoa - 32 yr old QH, Cherokee - 8 yr old TWH & Toby - 16 yr old QH
R.I.P. Cocoa 4/13/78 - 2/9/11
kim_angel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,883
• Horses: 0
It depends on if the dam or sire is hypp positive. If you aren't sure, I would get the horse tested just to be sure.

Here are some percentages of the foal(or the horse for sale) being positive and negative. (nn= negative nh=positive but only one gene is affected hh= both positive both genes affected)

N H
N nn nh

H nh hh

So if 2 NH horses bred together 25% chance the foal will be negative, 50% chance it will be NH and 25% chance it will be HH

N H
N nn nh

N nn nh

If a NH and a NN horse bred together, 50% chance the foal will be negative and 50% the foal will be NH

H H
N nh nh

N nh nh

H H
N nh nh

H hh hh

If a HH horse is bred to any horse (NN or NH) the foal will have a 100% of being positive.

Considering that the test (to have it sent out) is only $50 I feel it is very worth it to know if the horse is positive or not.

Have you asked the current owners if he's been tested? (if you do, ask to see a copy of the results so you know you aren't being lied to)
appylover31803 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 05-12-2008, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Eastern Shore of MD.
Posts: 1,320
• Horses: 8
He's at a "hack" type stable - so I highly doubt they have tested him. I will recommend the test for sure.


Cocoa - 32 yr old QH, Cherokee - 8 yr old TWH & Toby - 16 yr old QH
R.I.P. Cocoa 4/13/78 - 2/9/11
kim_angel is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 05-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA.
Posts: 10,793
• Horses: 2
I agree with Appy- get him tested just to be sure. :)

Success comes a [bit] at a time.
PoptartShop is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,169
• Horses: 7
if the horse is registered, he is tested, there is a date that they made rule changes by... just have them look at his papers. More then likely, the horse is HYPP/NN. There are SO many registered impressive horses out there..... if the horse is not negative, then it's your friends choice, but i'd look elsewhere.
farmpony84 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,883
• Horses: 0
It all depends on when the gelding was born and as to what he is registered under. I'm assuming AQHA because he's a quarter horse.

Here's some information I found.
Quote:
October 17, 2003; letter from AQHA President Steve Stevens:
HYPP
The next important topic relates to Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis (HYPP). The stud book and registration committee has asked the executive committee to obtain input from the membership regarding this important matter that will appear on their agenda at the Reno convention in March 2004. The proposal is as follows:
1. Rule 227 will be amended making foals of calendar year 2006 and after ineligible for registration if they are descendants of the stallion Impressive, AQHA Number 0767246, and found to be HYPP positive (H/H).
2. Additionally, Rule 227 will be amended to provide that foals of 2010 and later that are found to be HYPP (N/H) will only be eligible for registration as geldings or non-breeding mares.
Quote:
The APHA rule proposals on the table for voluntary testing for HYPP were not passed at their 2007 convention . APHA does not have mandatory testing and will not have voluntary testing unless a new rule is submitted and passed - but the earliest that can take affect is 2009.
Quote:
The ApHC (Appaloosas) recommends that all descendants of Impressive be tested for HYPP, but will not post the test results on the papers, nor on the web site. Testing is NOT Mandatory.
I personally love this site. I feel they have a lot of information on the disease. http://www.bringinglighttohypp.org/
appylover31803 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gin Gin, QLD
Posts: 101
• Horses: 2
I think you should get him vet checked these r usually the symptoms: Weakness, especially in the hindquarters, trembling, abnormal perspiring, unusual appearance of the third eyelid (nictitating membrane), collapse, distorted vocalizations. During an attack the horse remains alert. Attacks can occur at rest and during work. The horse appears normal after an attack.
country_girl is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,619
• Horses: 5
Personally I will never own another QH or any other breed that has been infected with HYPP. She should definitely have him tested if your friend is interested. It would pay in the long run to know if it will have special needs.
Vidaloco is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,883
• Horses: 0
Also horses could have the disease and not show any symptoms. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Generally speaking, if a horse doesn't show any symptoms when they're young, theres a greater chance they won't show any symptoms their entire life. But there are always acceptions.

I'm with Vida. I love Vega to death, but I would never want another hypp horse.
appylover31803 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome