I have seven tips to prevent colic
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

I have seven tips to prevent colic

This is a discussion on I have seven tips to prevent colic within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Barometric pressure drop equine colic
  • Food suggestions for ponies prone to colic

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Tayla101
  • 1 Post By walkinthewalk

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-07-2012, 02:09 AM
  #1
Foal
I have seven tips to prevent colic

I found these and would love to share them with you all!!!


1. Routine: Keeping a consistent daily routine is important for horses. Any change in a horseís routine can lead to digestive upset. Feed at the same time each day and turn out for the same number of hours daily.

2. Institute Feed Changes Gradually: If you are going to switch from one feed brand to another, for instance from timothy to alfalfa, do it slowly. Mix the two feeds together for a week or so while gradually removing the old feed and increasing the new.

3. Monitor Your Horseís Environment: Keep an eye on the field! If the apple tree is loaded, you might think about limiting Triggerís time out in that field. If it is the first bloom of lush green grass in the spring, introduce your horses to it gradually. If a storm brings a lot of tree limbs and other debris into the pasture, clean it up.

4. Deworm Your Horses On a Regular Schedule: A gut full of parasites can cause bellyaches. Having to kill off too many parasites at once can also cause a bellyache. Itís best to not let it get out of hand in the first place. With the ease of administering todayís paste dewormers, there is no reason not to deworm on a regular basis. Speak with your veterinarian about a good deworming schedule for a horse residing in your part of the country.

5. Float Those Teeth: Veterinarians and equine dentists are available options to float your horseís teeth. When the teeth are left unattended, they develop sharp points that can cause ulcers in your horseís mouth. Also, you want your horse to have the greatest grinding surface available so that he can get that food in the best digestible condition possible before sending it south to his stomach.

6. Keep The Feed Room Door Locked: Have your feed in containers the horses canít break into should the door be left open. Gorging on any sort of feedstuff will give horses colic. A serious grain-overload colic will be followed by a terrible case of laminitis (founder), all of which is avoidable if the feed room door is kept locked.

7. Water, Water Everywhere: Horses need clean, fresh potable water available at all times. Donít forget to keep the water tub in the field clean and filled. Also, the stall should have at least one large automatic waterer or large bucket available. Remember, horses are not evolutionarily adapted to drinking solid water. For that matter, our equine friends arenít all that fond of very cold water. In order to avoid a fecal impaction, provide water above 50 degrees at all times.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-07-2012, 06:45 AM
  #2
Super Moderator
.

Very good tips.

We had one Horse who was a Colicaholic even though we of course did all the things you mentioned.

We instituted another measure that helped put an end to his Colicing, we added 1/4 cup of Vegetable Oil to his Feed at each meal.

Knock on Wood..... 3 years and counting and not one Colic from him.


.
     
    07-07-2012, 07:28 AM
  #3
Super Moderator
Just tad off-topic but some of us in the U.S. Are going to experience 25 degree drops in temperature within 24 hours, come Monday or Tuesday

That's major colic material for the healthiest of horses.

My vet feels my 25 yr old has fatty tumors (lipomas) in his digestive tract. He also has Equine Metabolic Syndrome.

He's colicked four times since March, two of those being since last Sunday. This 105 degree heat and added humidity doesn't help his health issues; the sudden/severe drop in temps is not going to bode well with him.

I have Banamine on-hand; the vet said the only thing I can do extra for him is to feed him some wheat bran mash.

Point-being, be prepared with mash and Banamine for the coming week, especially for colic-prone horses and/or horses with ulcers.
Tayla101 likes this.
     
    07-07-2012, 11:14 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA    
.

Very good tips.

We had one Horse who was a Colicaholic even though we of course did all the things you mentioned.

We instituted another measure that helped put an end to his Colicing, we added 1/4 cup of Vegetable Oil to his Feed at each meal.

Knock on Wood..... 3 years and counting and not one Colic from him.


.
thats great that your horse hasn't coliced in 3 years I've never had a horse colic before but I had a welsh mountain pony mare who founded alot sadly she was put down a couple of years ago.
     
    07-07-2012, 11:44 PM
  #5
Trained
I feed soaked beet pulp to everyone at least once a day, 2X during extreme heat. I put their salt in it so they can't help but get it, and keep lots and lots of fresh, clean water around. So far, touch wood, it seems to be keeping colic at bay, I have not had one in years.
     
    07-07-2012, 11:46 PM
  #6
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayla101    
thats great that your horse hasn't coliced in 3 years I've never had a horse colic before but I had a welsh mountain pony mare who founded alot sadly she was put down a couple of years ago.
Founder is also a terrible thing, sorry for your loss. We had some friends with Ponies, they seemed to have a problem with foundering too, I have heard some Ponies are prone to founder.

I had my Baby Belgian (18 month old) Colic about 4 years ago, Vet spent 8 hours with her, then said it was all he could do, he did mentioned Surgery, but the only place to do it was 3 hours away, so that was not a viable option, on the 3rd bag of intravenous fluids and 3 hours after he left at about 3am she finally started getting better and has never had a problem since, I never want to go through that again.
My TB used to Colic 2-3 time a year, some of the used to Colic once in a while, nothing some walking around a shot of Banamine would not cure in a few hours.

Nothing has really changed except the Oil in the food after those experiences. We use a high quality feed and watch for any problems in the pasture, etc.

.
     
    07-08-2012, 12:13 AM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA    
Founder is also a terrible thing, sorry for your loss. We had some friends with Ponies, they seemed to have a problem with foundering too, I have heard some Ponies are prone to founder.

I had my Baby Belgian (18 month old) Colic about 4 years ago, Vet spent 8 hours with her, then said it was all he could do, he did mentioned Surgery, but the only place to do it was 3 hours away, so that was not a viable option, on the 3rd bag of intravenous fluids and 3 hours after he left at about 3am she finally started getting better and has never had a problem since, I never want to go through that again.
My TB used to Colic 2-3 time a year, some of the used to Colic once in a while, nothing some walking around a shot of Banamine would not cure in a few hours.

Nothing has really changed except the Oil in the food after those experiences. We use a high quality feed and watch for any problems in the pasture, etc.

.
Thats good to hear.
My ponies name was Piggy it suited her so well she would literally eat anything.
     
    07-08-2012, 12:25 AM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk    
Just tad off-topic but some of us in the U.S. Are going to experience 25 degree drops in temperature within 24 hours, come Monday or Tuesday

That's major colic material for the healthiest of horses.

My vet feels my 25 yr old has fatty tumors (lipomas) in his digestive tract. He also has Equine Metabolic Syndrome.

He's colicked four times since March, two of those being since last Sunday. This 105 degree heat and added humidity doesn't help his health issues; the sudden/severe drop in temps is not going to bode well with him.

I have Banamine on-hand; the vet said the only thing I can do extra for him is to feed him some wheat bran mash.

Point-being, be prepared with mash and Banamine for the coming week, especially for colic-prone horses and/or horses with ulcers.
\
Yikes! I had one colic 2 yrs ago with a sudden weather change & drop in barometric pressure,,the vet was on another call & called me every15 mins then while he was almost at my barn Silver suddenly became better, the look in his eye softened & he began eating hay...it was done as quick as it started but yep I am always on high alert with sudden weather changes!
     
    07-08-2012, 12:39 AM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk    
Just tad off-topic but some of us in the U.S. Are going to experience 25 degree drops in temperature within 24 hours, come Monday or Tuesday

That's major colic material for the healthiest of horses.

My vet feels my 25 yr old has fatty tumors (lipomas) in his digestive tract. He also has Equine Metabolic Syndrome.

He's colicked four times since March, two of those being since last Sunday. This 105 degree heat and added humidity doesn't help his health issues; the sudden/severe drop in temps is not going to bode well with him.

I have Banamine on-hand; the vet said the only thing I can do extra for him is to feed him some wheat bran mash.

Point-being, be prepared with mash and Banamine for the coming week, especially for colic-prone horses and/or horses with ulcers.
Thank you, I hope your horse is okay.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ways to prevent colic mccylod Horse Health 24 06-24-2011 12:40 AM
tips to help prevent colic with weather changes? Kymbadina Horse Health 14 03-17-2011 05:03 PM
Who doesn't clean stalls so manure piles up then feeds on the manure to prevent colic delynn Horse Health 95 01-03-2011 02:25 AM
How to prevent so many being slaughtered.... Lc Performance Horses Horse Protection 23 10-30-2008 11:20 AM
anything to prevent this? SonnyWimps Horse Talk 9 04-01-2008 09:23 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0